GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No GX for me

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-07, 10:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I test drove the MDX before we got our GX and liked the overall feel and the way it handled. I also considered the pricing of the MDX before we got our GX and they were almost identical with the MDX only being a couple grand cheaper. Our GX fully loaded was $48k and the MDX with the same features (Tech package) was about the same once you add in the cost of the wood steering wheel, roof rack, side steps, etc. Alot of those items are not standard on the MDX where they are on the GX. That is where the price differential is. You have to compare apples to apples when you are pricing these trucks.
Old 12-11-07, 10:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And yet, even a $46,000 MDX still comes with plastic wood trims
Old 12-11-07, 01:17 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thai, the RAV4 doesnt not have the SH-AWD system, but they are both electronic AWD system. As far as Acura's system being light years ahead of RAV4's or anything from Toyota/Lexus non-frame-based SUVs, thats simply not true. Toyota's VSC system is much better than Acura's and the RAV with that VSC system is much better in the snow. Toyota also have a lot experience than Honda when in comes to 4WD system.
The RAV4 also have a AWD lock, which both the RDX and MDX do not have. The only thing the MDX's AWD system have over the RAV is that it handles a bit better. If you are buying a SUV to take corners at 50 MPH, then the MDX is great for that, but I would not recommand anybody doing that in any SUV.
Do you have any proof to what you said above?? VSC is not VDIM...so, i am not sure where VSC is better than VSA (Acura/Honda's equivalent). Both are overly conservative and not nearly as good as some other systems (e.g. GM).

How is RAV4 with VSC is better in snow?? From a recent article on CanadianDriver, the Acura MDX system is quite effective in the white stuff.

Shouldn't you compare the MDX to the Highlander at least??!! Do you own a RAV4??
Old 12-11-07, 01:18 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
And yet, even a $46,000 MDX still comes with plastic wood trims
Even a $70K+ Toyota still comes with plastic wood trims. Sorry, not trying to be hard on you, but just want to be fair.
Old 12-11-07, 04:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Actually, the wood pieces in Lexus vehicles are real wood. The wood pieces in the Acuras are fake.
Old 12-11-07, 04:35 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by patgilm
Actually, the wood pieces in Lexus vehicles are real wood. The wood pieces in the Acuras are fake.
I did not say Lexus...i said toyota. The new Land Cruiser has fake wood...and it costs over $70K!
Old 12-11-07, 05:13 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I did not say Lexus...i said toyota. The new Land Cruiser has fake wood...and it costs over $70K!
Toyota is not the luxury division, Lexus is. Acura claims they are the luxury division of Honda. So Acura should be using real wood in their so called luxury vehicles.
Old 12-12-07, 12:11 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Toyota is not the luxury division, Lexus is. Acura claims they are the luxury division of Honda. So Acura should be using real wood in their so called luxury vehicles.
Culdnt agree more

Im more of a toyota guy (dislike hondas/acura)
Old 12-12-07, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes Thai, I owned a 08 RAV4 sports and I had a 04 MDX and my sister has a 07 RDX and I have test drove the 07 MDX which has the same SH-AWD system as the RDX. The RAV4's VSC is much more effective than the MDX in the snow. The Acura's VSC is actually not overly consevative at all, it is design for performance driving. Therefore it will let you slide a little more before it kicks in, which means its bad news when it comes to driving in the snow. The highlander's AWD is a mech. version, much more heavy duty than both the RAV's and all of the AWD system Acura or Honda has to offer.
As far as plastic wood is conerned, it may be ok to use it on Hondas, but to use it on their top of the line luxury SUV is a joke.
Old 12-12-07, 05:37 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Yeah, i figure that from your remarks.

Again, do you have any facts to back this up??

How is the Highlander's AWD system different than RAV4??
Old 12-12-07, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Since you own a highlander Thai, you should know the answer to your own question. The Highlander's has a mech. AWD system, expect for the Hybrid version which use electric motors to drive the rear wheel and the the RAV4 has electronic AWD which uses clutch paks.
Old 12-12-07, 07:59 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Again, what is the Highlander's AWD system like?? I really don't know...and how is that different from RAV4's?? I had a 2wd Highlander. RAV4 has a center differential??
Old 12-12-07, 08:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, I didnt realized your Highlander was a 2WD. The 4WD Highlander has a viscous coupling unit to shift torque to the rear shaft and the RAV4 uses electromagnetic clutch packs to drive the rear wheel which is for light duty duty use only. The advantage is less weight.
I was wrong about the new MDX's AWD system, the new MDX actually went back to the old style multi-plate clutch system, probably because they needed more torque to the rear due to the SH-AWD system. The problem with the multi-plate clutch system is that when the computer locks the rear wheel, sometime it cause a small jolt, which can disturb the driver or cause additional traction loss.
I see you traded in your Highlander for a Sienna, now all you need is a couple of kids to go with that Seriouly, the Sienna is a very nice minivan, probably on top of my list if my wife ever want to trade in for a minivan.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-12-07 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 09:41 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Viscous coupling uses clutch packs...i believe.

How does the RAV4 AWD system know when to send power to the rear??
Old 12-12-07, 10:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, Viscous coupling uses clutch packs or plates that have tabs or perforations in them. The unit is filled with silicone or other dilatant fluid. When the plates start rotating at two different speeds, such as when one set of wheels start to slip, the shear effect cuase the fluid to heat up and solidify, linking the two shafts.
The RAV4's 4WD system uses sensors and a 4WD ECU to control the 4WD system. If the computer system detects loss of traction up front, it adds drive to the rear via an electromagnetic coupling to the rear differential. This system makes sense since all the sensors are there already from other systems. The draw back is that it is for light duty use only, not for serious off roading.

Quick Reply: No GX for me