GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-07, 07:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Headlight adjustment

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlight vertically? Is it that dial looking thing with teeth with the hex adjustment on top? I try turning the hex nut with a socket wrench and didnt see much movement of the headlight beam. I just want to double check before going further.

Thanks
Old 11-10-07, 05:12 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are correct, there is a dial w/ teeth just behind / on top of the low beam. You can adjust using hex nut or it's easier from top side using #2 phillips - just slide it into the slot (pretty much only way to adjust drivers side is using phillips). Just turn it (counter clockwise I think) to raise. Park about 5' or so from a wall and put tape on the top edge cut-off from the beam. Adjust as needed. It's a little difficult to see the adjustment occuring over any greater distance IMHO.

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 11-10-07 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 08:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Is the hole for the phillip adjustment directly on top of the dial. I didn’t see one there. I did see some kind of circular tape there covering up something, but I didn’t take off the tape. I wonder if they change the design. I was able to adjust the driver side with a socket wrench. It seems like if I turn the dial clockwise, the light goes up, which is opposite as I would expect. If the light is hinged and spring loaded on the bottom, the light should go down if I turn the dial clockwise like all my other cars, but it seems to be the opposite.
Old 11-11-07, 05:23 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

on the bolt head you are turning w/ the socket, is there a big washer/flange w/ teeth on it? If so, you're on the right thing. On the top of it, there should be two plastic guides where the philllips #2 driver would rest in for turning. If you used a screwdriver, counterclockwise turns would equate to the clockwise turns you are doing w/ a socket. I'll try and take a pic for you tomorrow night.
Old 11-13-07, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like the socket drives the screw, so if adjusting with socket, its counter clockwise to lower, right?
Old 11-13-07, 07:52 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Correct. If using the socket (which you can really only access by removing all the plastic liners) the turns would be opposite what is "normal". If you use the #2 philips screwdriver and turn the teeth of the disc by accessing it thru the slot on plastic engine compartment liners, then clockwise lowers, counterclockwise raises.

Unlike the old sealed beem light enclosures which could be adjusted quickly w/ a couple of turns of the horiz or vert alignment screws, the threads on the Lexus' seems to be very fine. Thus, when using the screwdriver on the disc, it's accentuated due to the gearing ratio of the larger disc....
Old 11-13-07, 10:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That explains it, I have my front liner off, thats why I was able to get to the dial so easily. I did not know there was a hole in the liner for the headlight adjustment. So you are saying that the screwdriver adjustment is less sensitive then the dial adjsutment? On the dial, I have to turn one full turn to see a slight movement.
Old 11-28-07, 04:55 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BurgBoxstr, as I put the engine cover on tonight, I see exactly what you are talking about. Just stick the screwdriver straight down and the teeth if the screwdriver will turn the teeth of the wheel.
Old 11-29-07, 05:19 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

I found out that way too - how else do you think I knew exactly what you were talking about

Unfortunately, I wish my wife's GS were so easy.... it requires full removal of 3 of the plastic "let's try to prevent customer from workie on car" liners. That and a customized #2 philips w/ 8" shaft reach (yep 8") to make any horizontal adjustments .

If you thought the GX's aim was bad jump on over to the GS forum.... The bubble on the GS gauge (wish the GX had this) is supposed to be between the two red lines..... ours was 2 lines below the low range mark. Sure, it was great for spotting road kill but....
Old 11-29-07, 06:38 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Did it come from the facrory like that? 2 lines below.
Old 11-29-07, 06:45 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

yep - 2 FULL lines below from factory.... meaning middle of bubble was like 4 lines below

We got it in Jan TY and since it's my wife's car, I almost never drive it - let alone at night. She wasn't complaining so how was I to know??? Anyhow, one night we did take it out. I was driving and made a comment about how low they seemed even w/ the auto leveler adj. She said yeah they seemed a little "off" but didn't think there was anything I could do about it Knowing how bad the GX aim was, plus what I had read on the GS forum, I should've just checked them to begin w/. but had not until about a month ago. Dramatic improvement...... even by my 'less than car observant' wife
Old 11-30-07, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

How do you like your GS compare to the GX, I know they are two diff. animals. I am having thoughts about trading in my GX for a GS350 AWD.
Old 11-30-07, 07:21 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

In short - solid car, quiet as anything, good power, very comfortable, great AWD control and lot's of toys (basically same as GX plus heat/cool seats, etc.)

Some negatives.... run flats are noisy so I'd avoid if possible. If you do get stuck w/ run flats - insist on also getting a donut spare (some come w/out) in case you ever want to dump. Smaller trunk (opening and over all size - only like 12.5 cu). If you're over 6'2" you might feel a little hunched in driver's seat due to it's low roof line. Push button ignition does take some getting used to.... Finally, insist they apply TSB for excessive brake dust before you even take it off the lot.

Over all, very happy w/ the car. I enjoy driving it and my wife absolutely loves it. Yes, this coming from the same aforementioned car un-observant person so obviously it's distinguishable. When she first test drove, she said she liked it less than her Volvo S80. Since then she's done a complete 180 and now loves the GS way more than she ever liked the S80. FWIW, my brother in law who drives an '04 A6 drove it for a few days last week and is seriously considering it as a replacement for his now.

As you said, it's a completely different animal from our GX but we are very happy with it. Check out the 3rd Gen GS board here and you'll see most of the comments/concerns/questions over there are about cosmetic issues (wheels / lowering / etc.). Yes there are a few w/ a rattle issue, but aside from cosmetics, most comments are on par in importance level as those I mentioned above. Kind of like the "too short of seat cushion bottom" on our GX. Guess that means most other owners like their's too if our focus is on the minutia. Good luck and let me know if you want any other thoughts
Old 11-30-07, 07:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like your wife likes the GS a lot, I see you have the AWD version, how is it in the snow. I know it wont be as good as the GX.
Old 11-30-07, 10:26 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

So far so good but honestly no major tests yet. This will be our first full winter (took delivery 1/26/07). The best 'test' was the day we picked it up in 6-8". It kept up pace w/ the GX even w/o the TC on so looks promising.