GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Do you wash your GX yourself?
Yes - all the time
39.53%
Sometimes - it depends
46.51%
Never
13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wash your own GX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 01:29 PM
shodog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you wash your own GX?

I just got done washing my GX. It was filthy as it went on three road trips without being washed. It took me near an hour and a half to do it up right with a nice hand wash.

I have taken it to car wash places and they do a decent job and it usually only costs about $15-20 depending on the tip I give.

I guess I am at the point with the GX where it's easier to have it done than to do it myself

So what the consensus? who does it and who has it done.
Old 10-06-07, 01:47 PM
Aristanet
Driver

make my kids wash it!
Old 10-06-07, 03:25 PM
CaptnPete
Driver School Candidate

Take it to the dealer and ask them for a "courtesy wash". My dealer washes it at specific times during the day, and I get to have a little snack in the waiting area.
Old 10-06-07, 05:44 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I do mine myself. I do a real detail job and it takes me 1.5 - 2 hours. That includes drying it with an electric leaf blower and wiping all the door jams, underhood, etc., dry. But I enjoy doing it.
Old 10-06-07, 06:13 PM
DivX007
Driver

I wash my gx470 and sc430 myself. I think as work-out *^^*.
gx takes about 1 and half hours for full detail. sc takes about 45 minutes~ 1 hour becase of size. I usually wash once or twice a month. *^^*
Old 10-07-07, 05:34 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wash my gx470 and es300 myself. I don't trust someone else to do it as they can scratch the clear coat. It takes me about 1 1/2 hrs to 2hrs to do both cars and it depends on how dirty they are, if I vacuum the interior and put rain-x on the windshields and door windows.
Old 10-07-07, 07:25 AM
dc67soul
Driver School Candidate

Due to the size of the GX, I don't wash it as often as I like, but I still wash it myself. My wife would help occasionally. When we wash the cars together, we usually wash all three: GX470, RX400h, and SC430. Being in the medical profession, my wife and I have little time to spare.
Old 10-07-07, 07:29 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here you can pretty much only wash your own car about 6 months out of the year. Sometimes we get a warm day or two in March or April, and we are now in our October heat wave (low 80's today). Otherwise May-September is about it to want to get wet outside.

I have washed the GX myself, but the height makes it an interesting challenge. I do admit I don't do a great job on the roof while hanging by one hand.

Our dealer does free car washes on Saturday mornings between May and October. I've gone a number of times, but it is getting less and less fun. Last year, you pretty much drove up, they took your name, and you could go inside or walk around and look at the cars. Lately the lines have gotten longer, and you have to sit in your car moving up one at a time for 20 minutes or more. It kills a couple of hours I'd rather be doing something else.

Interesting question - I'll add a poll up top.
Old 10-07-07, 10:45 AM
brickauto
Driver

I would wash my GX when weather permits. During winter I take it to the touchless auto wash place.

My hand wash method involves a two bucket method with grit guard in each bucket, auto shampoo, a plumb chenille or lambs wool wash mitt and waffle weave dry cloth to minimize swirls.

When I got my GX used the paint was neglected, swirls and watermarks everywhere After some polishing and elbow grease in small areas it's looking better but some swirls are stubborn and I didn't want to go to compounding levels of paint cleaning for fear of screwing up.
Old 10-07-07, 10:49 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: "do you wash your own GX?"

NEVER!

Old 10-08-07, 09:51 AM
GXlexus470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wash my GX... at least 2X a month weather permitting. on cold season/winter i take it to a local wash that has "under-carriage" power wash... helps get rid of "salt" they use up here during snow season. takes me about 1.5 hrs to do mine... with the works: tire shine, armor-all, glass treatment, interior... etc. i hand waxed Meguiars 1-2-3... my GX too at least 2X a year... before summer and before winter... keeps that Onyx Black shine all these years... got an 03.
Old 10-08-07, 12:20 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptnPete
Take it to the dealer and ask them for a "courtesy wash". My dealer washes it at specific times during the day, and I get to have a little snack in the waiting area.
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you saying they'll give you a "courtesy wash" even if you're not having any work done? This would be great news cuz my dealer is on my way to work
Old 10-08-07, 04:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you saying they'll give you a "courtesy wash" even if you're not having any work done? This would be great news cuz my dealer is on my way to work
Some dealers do but most require a service be done on the vehicle first.
Old 10-09-07, 07:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX is too big to wash it myself, I leave it to the professionals.
Old 10-09-07, 09:39 AM
SirSkrip
Rookie

Most of the time I do... both my GX & ES. I usually have my 2 sons help me. maybe every 3 months or so I'll just take it to a good car wash and have them do it. And that's because I dont have any time to wash it myself.

I too, have some older watermarks that dont go away on my GX.

but heck, its still looks good for an 03.

Quick Reply: Do you wash your own GX?