GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dealer installed hitch on my 2007 GX

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 05:06 PM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed hitch on my 2007 GX

When I purchased my 2007 GX last month, it did not come with a factory installed hitch. As a result, the dealer offered to install one for a $500. I am not sure what they installed but it appears to be a bolt on bracket with a 2 inch receiver that i bet would fit in the palm of my hand. Has anyone ever seen one of these? I am sure the dealer will make good on it but it certainly does not appear to have a towing capacity of 6500 pounds. I would love to see how non factory hitch should look if you happen to have a photo. Thanks!!
Old 09-26-07, 09:52 PM
Bob GX
Driver

In 2004 there were two 'factory' hitches, both 2" receiver, available for the GX. There was a lighter duty hitch that fastned to the car bumper with some brackets right in the middle of the bumper, and a more conventional looking hitch that has a metal cross member that spans most of the width of the bumper, and attaches to the frame rails on either side. If I remember correctly the lighter one was rated at 5000 pounds, and the heavier one rated at 6500. If the 2007 model is similar, it sounds like you've got the lighter duty version. The dealer should be able to show you the two models - maybe exchange it if you need the heavier version?
Old 09-26-07, 09:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even think the model they gave you will handle 5000 pounds. From working at a dealership, this is what I have gathered: If your GX470 did not come from the factory with a tow package, the only hitch the dealership can install is one that bolts onto the bumper. Accordingly, it has a different bumper trim piece than the one from the factory. There isn't even a part number for the factory hitch, so the dealership can't even order that. If you need the factory hitch, then you'll need to get one from a salvage yard, along with a transmission cooler and any other parts associated with it.
Old 09-27-07, 05:31 AM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

Sonyman: this link to the lexus website shows a trailer hitch as an accessory and suggests contacting the dealer for a the price. I am not sure if the factory installs a trans cooler because according to lexus the hitch is a "port" installed item. I connot seem to get an answer from lexus as to what the factory installed hitch option includes anything other than the hitch receiver.
http://www.lexus.com/models/GX/acces..._receiver.html
Old 09-27-07, 06:22 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6500 lb hitch is a conventional tubular design, so you should see a round tube system under the rear of your vehicle with the 2" receiver being part of the tube. The hitch would be bolted onto the frame of the vehicle. That is the hitch that should cost about $500 at a dealer. The smaller, bumper bolt-on version is 5000 lb max, but I thought they stopped making it for Lexus in 2004, when they stopped making GX's with the slotted bumper cutouts. It might still be a Toyota part for the 4Runner, though. As sonyman indicated, it depends on whether your vehicle has the tow prep package or not. My '06 GX came with the tow prep package but no hitch, so I added one myself. If your GX did not have the tow prep package, your dealer probably would not install the heavier duty hitch. But anything smaller than the 6500 lb hitch should not have cost $500.
Old 09-27-07, 07:03 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my Lexus dealer install a trailer hitch about 6 months after
I purchased the vehicle and to me it looks like it came from the factory.

I have seen some pretty poor looking after-market hitches on some GX470's.

Can you show a pic of the one the dealer installed on your's?

I know you didn't do it, but IMO it's crazy to spend 50K on vehicle
and then run and try save a few bucks by letting some outfit like
u-Haul throw on a hitch "that'll do". Kind of like buying at Armani
suit and getting your shoes for the suit at Walmart.

I have pulled a large bass boat with mine and have had no problems.

Here are some pics where you can see the hitch, but these pics
were just some I had in photobucket of wheels, so they are not
perfect for viewing the hitch.

Last edited by itsZep; 09-27-07 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 08:35 AM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

here is a photo of the hitch
Attached Thumbnails Dealer installed hitch on my 2007 GX-photo2.jpg  
Old 09-27-07, 09:37 AM
gwong
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnL34
That is unbelievable. Its not even a factory hitch and they cut into the bumper cover Did a Lexus dealer do that or was some other dealer? A factory and non factory would sit below the bumper cover.

Last edited by gwong; 09-27-07 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 10:34 AM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

Yes this was done at a Lexus Dealer. It would not look out of place on the VW camper I had in college but seems out of place on my $50K SUV!!
Old 09-27-07, 10:38 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Originally Posted by gwong
That is unbelievable. Its not even a factory hitch and they cut into the bumper cover Did a Lexus dealer do that or was some other dealer? A factory and non factory would sit below the bumper cover.

Wow! I can't believe they did that to your bumper... and at a Lexus dealer too? Damn, they didn't even cut it straight
Old 09-27-07, 10:51 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnL34
Oh my

Looks to me they did one of 2 things (both of which are wrong):

- installed an '03 / early '04 hitch (those MY's had a panel w/ a notch cut out to put in the bumper cover)

or

- they used the correct (post 05/2004 MY) hitch but forgot to put the adapter plate between the hitch and th bracket on the bumper support.

I'm not sure which, but if you don't have any tubes leading out to the frame (which it doesn't look like) they probably put the '03/early '04 hitch on. If they used the correct one but w/out the adapter plates, then I wouldn't use it until it's fixed. Certainly it's not secure on your vehicle correctly as some of the bolts would be torqued incorrectly and/or at insecure angles. Can you get a shot of it from underneath so we can see?

Regardless, I'd take it back and have them do it correctly.
Old 09-27-07, 11:05 AM
gwong
Rookie

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Oh my

Looks to me they did one of 2 things (both of which are wrong):

- installed an '03 / early '04 hitch (those MY's had a panel w/ a notch cut out to put in the bumper cover)

or

- they used the correct (post 05/2004 MY) hitch but forgot to put the adapter plate between the hitch and th bracket on the bumper support.

I'm not sure which, but if you don't have any tubes leading out to the frame (which it doesn't look like) they probably put the '03/early '04 hitch on. If they used the correct one but w/out the adapter plates, then I wouldn't use it until it's fixed. Certainly it's not secure on your vehicle correctly as some of the bolts would be torqued incorrectly and/or at insecure angles. Can you get a shot of it from underneath so we can see?

Regardless, I'd take it back and have them do it correctly.
Also a new rear bumper cover to go along with that.
Old 09-27-07, 12:44 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JohnL34 that is ridiculous and unacceptable.

I am shocked a Lexus dealer would have such low standards.

Maybe you should get an estimate at another Lexus dealer,
then force the "trailer trash dealer" to pay to get it right at
the other dealership.
Old 09-27-07, 01:30 PM
JohnL34
Driver School Candidate

I have complete faith that the dealer will remedy the problem. I suspect the mechanic was given the part to install and like a good little worker bee he installed it. Unfortunately the GX470 also had to have brake work done on it even though it only has 800 miles on it. I hope that was done correctly!!!!
Old 09-27-07, 01:59 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brake work

I just read the tech's service recap and I quote :

Job 1-
Installed hitch - tech made custom fitting for rear bumper cover to accommodate for hitch.

Job 2 -
Brake service-
Tech could not find proper parts in MRO so contacted Kaleco and installed custom cross drilled brake lines to assist w/ better brake cooling

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS - Want improved braking? Why just cross drill those rotors? Introducing KaleCoAuto cross drilled brake lines! Improved airflow through lines provides superior brake cooling. Brake fluid is exposed to cool moving air, almost instantly reducing heat, and providing shorter stopping distances! All lines are made of quality latex. Brake lines come in: Red and Yellow.
Just kidding JohnL34 .
You're much calmer about the hitch than I certainly would be... Thought you could use a little levity regarding the situation. Good luck and let us know what the dealer does to fix the situation or if you need a better picture of the factory hitch installed.

Quick Reply: Dealer installed hitch on my 2007 GX