GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Intermittent Poor Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 07:01 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
how much torque after loosening arms and retightening?
Sorry, I couldn't tell you - I've no idea. If you call Scottsdale Lexus and ask for the Shop Foreman I'm sure he'll remember what was done and be able to tell you, though.
Old 07-20-10, 06:51 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by N305AS
FINAL UPDATE

The Shop Foreman at Scottsdale Lexus replaced my rear shocks last week, and discovering 'improper readings' from the sensors, replaced both rear height sensors as well this week.

Upon talking to the dealership to see when I could pick it up, the same gentleman told me the following:

"The 'Clunk Fix' TSB involved installing new control arms, and apparently when they did it, they tightened everything up while it was still on the rack, suspended in the air. It's not supposed to be done that way. So we're taking extra time to take your GX off the rack, loosening the control arms in the neutral position while the vehicle is actually on the wheels and THEN tightening everything up."

I picked it up today - and the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the ride appeared to be! I headed for the meanest speed bump I could find and the 'bottoming-out' sensation was gone!

I'm a VERY happy camper now! If anyone is having difficulty getting their dealership to figure out what's wrong, have them call Gary Kreutz at Scottsdale Lexus and he can tell 'em what they did with my 2007 GX 470!
Which control arms? Upper and lower?
Old 07-21-10, 01:13 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Which control arms? Upper and lower?
Sorry Chris, I just don't know - it's not on my paperwork from the dealership. For what it's worth, the 'bottoming-out' feeling isn't 100% gone after all -it's still kinda-sorta there, but much less pronounced than before; it's barely noticeable.

If you have questions, call Gary Kreutz from Scottsdale Lexus at 480-990-2200 and I'm sure he can give you more details than I could.
Old 07-21-10, 06:24 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Chris, the clunk issue actually the TSB Sep 08 ( SB-0116-08) say's replacement of the Prop Shaft/Drive Shaft, nothing else, Some dealers are making sure nothing goes wrong they add up the control arms to the list, I had mine only the shaft replaced, that's it, touch wood no problems since last 3 years. Technically speaking the control arms is not the problem area for the clunk, it is the shaft which isthe main cause.
Old 08-01-10, 08:26 AM
TXBlue
5th Gear

Taking truck back in for the vibrating ride tomorrow August 2nd and what happens this morning? "Click, Click, Click, Click" goes the starter. So, now having a wrecker haul it in Monday morning to Lexus dealership for my appt time. "First get it to start. Second, then let's go riding and figure out the vibration issue."

To be continued...
Old 10-02-10, 07:12 AM
okgx
Driver School Candidate

Default GX470 Rear Suspension Ride Quality

OK. Just new to experience the poor ride quality on GX470 rear air ride suspension. The problem presents with suspension bottoming out, harsh ride, feels like the rear is somewhat tail down from the drivers seat, manipulating the ride height control switch in the cab seems to temporarily cure the ride issue.

To Date:
Vehicle suspension issues started shortly after being rear ended. Dealer found no issue or problem with our vehicle. Only needed rear bumer fascia replaced while the pickup and the beemer were totalled.
Had vehicle in for 100k service with ride complaint again. Dealer replaced both ride height control sensors. No ride improvement.
Dealer noted that the right rear shock is leaking oil at the top and that the tires are nearing replacement. No surprise there but not identified as the culprit.
Dealer can find no air leaks in the rear suspension system yet states that the air bags should be replaced.
This follows a similar pattern in internet searches and is like a systematic parts replacement strategy.
Told the dealer that the recommendation to replace good air bags does not make sense and the problem sounds like a control valve issue. Dealer disagreed but the internet blogs and comments show this to be persistent problem.
Dealer has double checked, adjusted, and measured vehicle for proper set up - all is good but the ride quality is terrible.

I have not found a conculsive thread or blog that consistently identifies what is a long term solution.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-02-10, 12:09 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by okgx
OK. Just new to experience the poor ride quality on GX470 rear air ride suspension. The problem presents with suspension bottoming out, harsh ride, feels like the rear is somewhat tail down from the drivers seat, manipulating the ride height control switch in the cab seems to temporarily cure the ride issue.

To Date:
Vehicle suspension issues started shortly after being rear ended. Dealer found no issue or problem with our vehicle. Only needed rear bumer fascia replaced while the pickup and the beemer were totalled.
Had vehicle in for 100k service with ride complaint again. Dealer replaced both ride height control sensors. No ride improvement.
Dealer noted that the right rear shock is leaking oil at the top and that the tires are nearing replacement. No surprise there but not identified as the culprit.
Dealer can find no air leaks in the rear suspension system yet states that the air bags should be replaced.
This follows a similar pattern in internet searches and is like a systematic parts replacement strategy.
Told the dealer that the recommendation to replace good air bags does not make sense and the problem sounds like a control valve issue. Dealer disagreed but the internet blogs and comments show this to be persistent problem.
Dealer has double checked, adjusted, and measured vehicle for proper set up - all is good but the ride quality is terrible.

I have not found a conculsive thread or blog that consistently identifies what is a long term solution.

Any thoughts?
please let us know what happens. there is a small but growing group of us. my dealer cant and refuses to dig deeper. i wish i could have Mann777 fix my truck. btw the buttery ride was back for one day only the other day. it was so sweet. back to **** again.
Old 10-02-10, 07:40 PM
okgx
Driver School Candidate

Default Best Source for GX470 service and diagnostic manuals

I have seen so many threads outside of the club that this is a pretty good size problem for Lexus. Maybe even a design flaw. I really don't care if it is or not i just want the ride quality back.

I have looked over the web searching for diagnostic and service manuals for the GX470 and am reluctant to spend the money due to the numerous sources and questionable content.

Can someone provide a source name for accurate diagnostic and service manuals for the OEM and Aftermarket products?
Old 10-04-10, 07:20 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I have seen so many threads outside of the club that this is a pretty good size problem for Lexus. Maybe even a design flaw. I really don't care if it is or not i just want the ride quality back.

I have looked over the web searching for diagnostic and service manuals for the GX470 and am reluctant to spend the money due to the numerous sources and questionable content.

Can someone provide a source name for accurate diagnostic and service manuals for the OEM and Aftermarket products?
What constitutes a RECALL rather than a TSB? I have an aftermarket warranty and doubt the "clunk" fix would be covered. Lexus should administer a recall for both the clunk fix and the notorious peeling/bubbling of the majority of our wheels. I guess ride quality and appearance dosent matter. Its a shame when you see pictures of the GX's sporting Toyota 4runner and FJ cruiser wheels rather than Lexus wheels. Shouldn't it be the opposite?
Old 10-04-10, 07:47 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through all the dealer "No problem found" BS, until one of my ride height sensors completely failed. (Blinking light on dash, suspension wouldn't lower.)

After they replaced both ride height sensors, the truck seemed to ride like it was supposed to for a while. I don't drive it much, so I don't know how long that lasted. My wife almost always drives the GX, and she didn't really notice the difference in ride.

I drove it the other day, and once again, it didn't feel right at all.

At this point, I no longer give a damn. I truly think this truck is a POS, and I can't wait to get rid of it. Unfortunately, my wife loves it - partially because she doesn't notice most of the things that go wrong with it.

When the time comes that I do get her to agree to trade this thing in, I can assure you that it's replacement will not be a Lexus.
Old 10-08-10, 08:38 AM
TXBlue
5th Gear

UPDATE: I took back truck to Northside Lexus in Houston and drove with mechanic in July 2010. He thought the shaking and rough ride was still tires. They checked tires that I had replaced just last year 9/09. Said that they had excessive road wear of 13 and 23 on the back. Took back to tire place and they replaced the back two tires with Michelin again. Put N2 back in these tires.

Still shaking and still feeling every bump in the road. Lexus said well, *maybe* shocks are leaking or worn. So, *maybe* replace all the shocks and need front brakes done for about $3,000.

On 9/18 we traded in GX-470 truck for $23,250 and 71,398 miles. Bought 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Just gave up and tired of dumping money into GX470 that Lexus had no ideal what was wrong with it. And I showed them all the information from this site and asked them to call other Lexus mechanics in AZ. Fell on deaf ears.

When Trading-In: Didn't know you can take License plates off and keep them and transfer them onto another vehicle for only $5 with state of Texas. Dealership remove plates any way and trash them. At least you hope they are *trashed*. Don't forget to delete the information in the Navigation system. It is a hard drive and info from places marked to phone numbers need to be deleted. Also did garage door opener which was easy to do.

Last edited by TXBlue; 10-08-10 at 08:48 AM. Reason: More info on trade in.
Old 10-08-10, 12:49 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXBlue
UPDATE: I took back truck to Northside Lexus in Houston and drove with mechanic in July 2010. He thought the shaking and rough ride was still tires. They checked tires that I had replaced just last year 9/09. Said that they had excessive road wear of 13 and 23 on the back. Took back to tire place and they replaced the back two tires with Michelin again. Put N2 back in these tires.

Still shaking and still feeling every bump in the road. Lexus said well, *maybe* shocks are leaking or worn. So, *maybe* replace all the shocks and need front brakes done for about $3,000.

On 9/18 we traded in GX-470 truck for $23,250 and 71,398 miles. Bought 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Just gave up and tired of dumping money into GX470 that Lexus had no ideal what was wrong with it. And I showed them all the information from this site and asked them to call other Lexus mechanics in AZ. Fell on deaf ears.

When Trading-In: Didn't know you can take License plates off and keep them and transfer them onto another vehicle for only $5 with state of Texas. Dealership remove plates any way and trash them. At least you hope they are *trashed*. Don't forget to delete the information in the Navigation system. It is a hard drive and info from places marked to phone numbers need to be deleted. Also did garage door opener which was easy to do.
Sorry to hear this didn't get resolved by Lexus. Oh well, cash for "junkers"! Lexus loses big time if they continue to treat owners like this.
Old 02-05-11, 08:27 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

To Date:

Any thoughts?
Any luck diagnosing the suspension?
Old 02-06-11, 09:30 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Default Dr.EinTN intermittent poor quality ride final thoughts

Any luck diagnosing the suspension?
After owning this vehicle now for 5 years, I have been overall 95% happy. However, it is my opinion that this intermittent poor ride issue can never be fixed or diagnosed honestly by the dealerships, and I know some of them really try. It is a separate issue from the original "stop at a light and feel like you've been hit from behind" clunk fix which I had done 50,000 miles ago. For the most part, I have been 99% happy with that separate issue. This intermittent poor ride however is a "bugger" because if I do not periodically (at least weekly) simply cycle the ride height suspension from medium to high to medium to low and back to medium, then I can count on the worst ride ever. It feels like riding in an inexpensive Mazda pickup that costs less than 20K that I have as a work truck, no different. However, if you do this simple cycling, the ride is great and feels like a 65K loaded vehicle. Sadly, I will not by another mainly for this irritating reason (and for the disastrous Consumer Reports issue with the 2nd generation model which will probably affect resale value for years to come even after they successfully fixed the problem.) One final piece of parting advice, if you are OCD the way I am, before I turn my truck off for the night at the end of a day, the is one simple thing you can do. Just before turning the key off, simply push up once and adjust the ride height adjustment to "high." Once it raises itself to high, turn the engine off. Every morning now I start out in high and as soon as I pull out of my neighborhood, the height suspension resets itself back down to medium like always, and I NEVER have an uncomfortable ride anymore. I treat it much like turning off a radar detector or closing the garage door. It is simply a quick part of my routine that I had to learn to deal with a problem in order to be happy with my ride. I have been happy now for several years and don't anticipate trading the truck in anytime soon because I now have it perfect just the way I want it. Swapping or trading or buying new now will always come with some bothersome irritating problems for demanding drivers such as ourselves that just want everything perfect and are willing to pay for it. Otherwise, just drive a Prius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-11, 11:19 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

that doesnt help mine all the time. it rides really nice when fuel tank is full or really empty. I want to change the rear air ride into regular springs and shocks.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Poor Ride