GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Intermittent Poor Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 03:05 PM
wouldrich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Salvator
I have had the clunk fixed (took care of the clunk, BTW ) but I have noticed that my GX seems to "bottom out" when I drive slowly over speed bumps... The rear end hit with a force that reminds me of a vehicle with bad shocks hitting the snubbers... Anyone else experience this on speed bumps specifically? (Your mention of a bad rear sensor reminded me... )
Spoke with the technician this afternoon. Seems that when I described the three problems to the service person over the phone, the clunk was the only one they actually got right on the work order....imagine that. Once I was able to explain the issues to him correctly, he decided that the clunk fix might not be related to all three. They will be checking the truck out again tomorrow.

Old 07-13-10, 08:50 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by N305AS
SECOND UPDATE

I dropped my 2007 GX470 off at Scottsdale Lexus this morning. My service advisor told me they've "seen this problem before" and while he's not sure if they'll need to replace the shocks, the height sensors or both, he's confident they'll correct the issue.

For now I'm driving the 2010 ES350 loaner (nice car, by the way) and they hope to get the work completed today, although it may take another day or so depending on what needs to be replaced.

THIRD UPDATE

Well, the dealership replaced both rear shocks under the warranty. According to the service advisor, they've fixed the problem and all is well.

NOT.

Driving home I encountered a speed bump in a parking lot a few miles away and you guessed it, the rear end did the same aggravating bottoming-out as before!

I spoke with the service advisor today and told him all was NOT well, so I'm taking it back in again tomorrow to have one of their techs take a test drive with me so we can figure this out once and for all.
Old 07-14-10, 05:31 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Wow. I thought it was the shocks for sure.
Old 07-14-10, 09:13 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Wow. I thought it was the shocks for sure.
Me too! Ironically, the problem appears to lessen when you go over the speed bumps or humps at a higher rate of speed - taking them slow and easy exacerbates the problem!

Anyway, I took the GX back in today and had their Lead Tech take a ride with me. We went over the same speed bump a few times in the various suspension modes, just to see what difference (if any) there was. He concurred that the rear suspension was settling harder than it should.

I then told him about this forum, and showed him the following writeup that Spirolli had done:

Cause: Ride height does not go up open circuit in sensor replaced both rear height sensors.

857121 R.HT CNTRL SNSR SUBASSY, 1-SD
105 WLEX 1.00
1 89407-60022 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI
1 89408-60011 SENSOR SUB-ASSY, HEI

FC: 72/71
Part#: 89407-60022
Count: 2
Claim Type: RG

He said he wasn't sure it would be the cause of the issue but would make a few calls and check it out, although he wasn't sure if they had the ride sensors in stock so it might take a day or two to sort the problem out.

I'm hopeful, though - keep your fingers crossed!
Old 07-14-10, 10:50 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

I had my sensors replaced thinking it was them for sure. Nothing. I swear it all started with the stupid driveshaft clunk fix.
Old 07-14-10, 11:18 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Ask the dealer to make a check on the Rear LH side Pneumatic Cylinder. Which is placed just above the axle. You could also have a weak Pneumatic cylinder which is why less Air compression to the jacks. Ride would be a bit hard on small bumps
Old 07-15-10, 01:07 AM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by mann777
Ask the dealer to make a check on the Rear LH side Pneumatic Cylinder. Which is placed just above the axle. You could also have a weak Pneumatic cylinder which is why less Air compression to the jacks. Ride would be a bit hard on small bumps
Thanks, I'll ask about that. The service advisor called to tell me the Lead Tech from earlier today was "100% positive" it was the height sensors, and they'd ordered new ones for me which should be installed by midday Thursday.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the ride has improved when I pick the truck up!
Old 07-15-10, 11:40 PM
TXBlue
5th Gear

Default Glad I found this Website!

My 2006 GX470, 68,000 miles; is currently at Lexus dealership in Houston and they "see no problem" with suspension. Trying to make me seem like I'm a crazy woman.

1. Have the "Intermittent Poor Ride" like rainmn (#1) "can practically feel the painted lines in the road." Ditto.

2. Have the "bottoming out" sensation when going over speed bumps like Salvator (#5)

3. Have had it happen twice that I can only drive 20-30 mph with backend jumping up and down like steevr (#19) "like riding a wild bronco."

Reading all the threads for a couple of hours, I guess I need to suggest to the Lexus mechanics...
1. Rear Height sensors
2. Leaking shocks
3. After the clunk fix (7/09), need to check "normalizing" rear suspension and check "trailing arm" position and the correct way to tighten bolts and bushing.
4. Rear LH side Pneumatic Cylinder.

Will see what this gets me tomorrow when I present all this information to them. Hope something works! Any more suggestions... let me know.

Thanks,
TX Blue Lady
Old 07-16-10, 03:02 PM
N305AS
Rookie

FINAL UPDATE

The Shop Foreman at Scottsdale Lexus replaced my rear shocks last week, and discovering 'improper readings' from the sensors, replaced both rear height sensors as well this week.

Upon talking to the dealership to see when I could pick it up, the same gentleman told me the following:

"The 'Clunk Fix' TSB involved installing new control arms, and apparently when they did it, they tightened everything up while it was still on the rack, suspended in the air. It's not supposed to be done that way. So we're taking extra time to take your GX off the rack, loosening the control arms in the neutral position while the vehicle is actually on the wheels and THEN tightening everything up."

I picked it up today - and the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the ride appeared to be! I headed for the meanest speed bump I could find and the 'bottoming-out' sensation was gone!

I'm a VERY happy camper now! If anyone is having difficulty getting their dealership to figure out what's wrong, have them call Gary Kreutz at Scottsdale Lexus and he can tell 'em what they did with my 2007 GX 470!
Old 07-16-10, 04:46 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FINAL UPDATE

The Shop Foreman at Scottsdale Lexus replaced my rear shocks last week, and discovering 'improper readings' from the sensors, replaced both rear height sensors as well this week.

Upon talking to the dealership to see when I could pick it up, the same gentleman told me the following:

"The 'Clunk Fix' TSB involved installing new control arms, and apparently when they did it, they tightened everything up while it was still on the rack, suspended in the air. It's not supposed to be done that way. So we're taking extra time to take your GX off the rack, loosening the control arms in the neutral position while the vehicle is actually on the wheels and THEN tightening everything up."

I picked it up today - and the first thing I noticed was how much smoother the ride appeared to be! I headed for the meanest speed bump I could find and the 'bottoming-out' sensation was gone!

I'm a VERY happy camper now! If anyone is having difficulty getting their dealership to figure out what's wrong, have them call Gary Kreutz at Scottsdale Lexus and he can tell 'em what they did with my 2007 GX 470!
Glad to hear you're rolling along smoothly now!
Old 07-17-10, 01:25 PM
TXBlue
5th Gear

Default Update...

Got truck back after being at the Lexus-Northside dealership for 3 days on 7/16/10 and $670 later...
1) 65,000 mile service
2) Rotate and balance tire
3) Front end alignment
4) Nitrogen in all tires
5) Replaced rear brakes

"Couldn't find any suspension problem. Checked all that you wrote up on... height sensor, shocks, error in arms to new drive shaft, etc."

I took off down the freeway and anything over 60 mph shook the entire truck and vibrated through the steering wheel. I called them back and left a message that they didn't fix a damn thing in the ride. In fact it maybe worse. And slight turns to left and right on freeways at that speed is even worse.

Take back to same dealership? Supposedly had head mechanic look at it. Maybe I should drive to Scotsdale, AZ to get fixed. Guess take back and drive with mechanic on freeway if the guys in office will even let me talk to them.

Frustrated.

Last edited by TXBlue; 07-17-10 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 01:30 PM
TXBlue
5th Gear

FINAL UPDATE

How much did all the replacement cost you? I have no extended warranty on my 2006.

Going to go back in a week and take your note. Just have to "rattle" along for a while.

Glad yours is much better! Hope I get there or I'm selling a great truck.
Old 07-17-10, 02:00 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

FINAL UPDATE

how much torque after loosening arms and retightening?
Old 07-17-10, 02:01 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TXBlue
Got truck back after being at the Lexus-Northside dealership for 3 days on 7/16/10 and $670 later...
1) 65,000 mile service
2) Rotate and balance tire
3) Front end alignment
4) Nitrogen in all tires
5) Replaced rear brakes

"Couldn't find any suspension problem. Checked all that you wrote up on... height sensor, shocks, error in arms to new drive shaft, etc."

I took off down the freeway and anything over 60 mph shook the entire truck and vibrated through the steering wheel. I called them back and left a message that they didn't fix a damn thing in the ride. In fact it maybe worse. And slight turns to left and right on freeways at that speed is even worse.

Take back to same dealership? Supposedly had head mechanic look at it. Maybe I should drive to Scotsdale, AZ to get fixed. Guess take back and drive with mechanic on freeway if the guys in office will even let me talk to them.

Frustrated.
let me know what happens? front brakes? wheel bearings highly suspected.
Old 07-17-10, 06:57 PM
N305AS
Rookie

Originally Posted by TXBlue
How much did all the replacement cost you?
Nothing, but that's because it's still under warranty. For what it's worth, have you looked into having the air suspension replaced with springs?

<http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-GX-470-Air-Suspension-Conversion-Kit-4-p/-gx470-r1.htm>

This is something I'd consider putting on my GX if the air suspension tanks again.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Poor Ride