GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wish list on re-designed GX470

Old 07-26-08, 05:03 PM
Trixtek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the AM radio?

FM, XM, CD, DVD and iPod sound great in my '08, but AM is muffled, like someone put a pile of blankets over the speakers. When I asked to have corrected, I was told 'it was within Toyota specs.' I listen to a lot of news and sport talk radio and the quality doesn't come close to that in my other vehicles.

Also, the antenna reception isn't as good as my 2001 Jeep or 2008 Infiniti M35. Stations fade out about 20% sooner in my 2006 GX470.

And, since I'm on a radio gripe, lol, it would be nice if you could step numerically throught all the XM channels with the steering wheel control rather than having to reach over and manual turn the ****. (Maybe I've just not figured that one out and somebody will enlighten me).

I agree with all the other great ideas listed previously, particularly the note about the voice system working better with a female voice. My system and I are not speaking the same language I guess. lol It would also be nice to have some closeable storage compartment(s) in the rear, either on the sides or in a floorboard lift up. But, I understand the size tradeoff. I didn't want a Suburban sized SUV. The little cargo net is pretty useless with only one hook up configuration.

I love the drive, the feel, and most everything else. Just offering my little picky items.

BTW, I tried running regular gas for about 9 tanks, using additives every third tank. No loss in mileage, but compression dropped considerably, so I'm back to premium. I fill up eight to nine times a month, so the extra $6 per tank does add up, but I knew what I was doing when I bought the GX470. Nobody held a gun to my head. LOL
Old 09-29-08, 03:32 PM
KeyserSoze
Driver School Candidate

Rear lift gate should swing up not to the side
Power rear window in the gate
power rear vented quarter windows
heated/cooled front row seats
heated rear seats
power folding mirrors
fold flat 2nd row seating with 3rd row removed
ipod integration
Old 10-01-08, 10:06 AM
bobinsofla
Rookie

BLACK INTERIOR!!!

I don't know why Toyota will not put a black interior in their SUV's. It looks good in the RX. It was probably the single biggest issue that has kept me away from toyota trucks over the years...
Old 10-02-08, 05:29 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobinsofla
BLACK INTERIOR!!!

I don't know why Toyota will not put a black interior in their SUV's. It looks good in the RX. It was probably the single biggest issue that has kept me away from toyota trucks over the years...
I'll second that. The milky gray doesn't really cut it for me. I nice rich black would look awesome in a GX.
Old 10-16-08, 03:26 PM
BenefitPT
Driver School Candidate

Black interior isn't offered at all in the GX? Is there any reason why not?
Old 10-16-08, 05:11 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

For anyone interested...

Have not heard yet when the new GX will be coming. They are very focused on the new RX and IS-C launch, as those are "core" cars.

It might be the 2011 model before you see a re-design.

I have heard from fairly well-placed sources that it will essentially be a mini-LX, with a few less options. Of course, it will have SmartKey, heated / ventilated (probably not cooled) seats, all the basic stuff.

It will have fold-flat 3rd row seats.
Old 11-29-08, 12:44 PM
sprale
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why mess with a perfect package? If you need more power or space, get the LX. I would prefer to see a few minor updates, like power quarter windows and such. The third row is good as is. Too many 'upgrades' turn it into another land yacht...

I like good off-road manners, but the 120 siblings (FJ Cruiser, 4-Runner and Tacoma) cover that ground nicely.

I would like to see a decent TDI engine, but that's less likely than anything else listed so far...

Having a choice of on- and off-road suspension configurations would be a big bonus. I know the stiff rear is a killer at speed.
Old 12-15-08, 10:20 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kalvano
It might be the 2011 model before you see a re-design.
I agree. Surely if it was due for the 2010 model, we would have info/spy pictures leaked by now. So 2011 model year would be the earliest it could happen. But I'm just going by the usual pattern, I have no inside info. They may be waiting to see what happens with the SUV market and the economy.
Old 12-15-08, 10:29 AM
sprale
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trixtek
FM, XM, CD, DVD and iPod sound great in my '08, but AM is muffled, like someone put a pile of blankets over the speakers. When I asked to have corrected, I was told 'it was within Toyota specs.' I listen to a lot of news and sport talk radio and the quality doesn't come close to that in my other vehicles.

Also, the antenna reception isn't as good as my 2001 Jeep or 2008 Infiniti M35. Stations fade out about 20% sooner in my 2006 GX470.
I had a Geo years ago that had better antenna reception, I'm not really impressed here... not that I'm threatening to trade the GX in for another Geo.

I'd like a head unit that could play data discs with MP3s though... like most of the economy cars now.
Old 12-18-08, 01:50 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Has anyone heard of when there will be a redesign?
Old 01-01-09, 10:38 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sprale
I had a Geo years ago that had better antenna reception, I'm not really impressed here... not that I'm threatening to trade the GX in for another Geo.

I'd like a head unit that could play data discs with MP3s though... like most of the economy cars now.
The next generation (2007 and beyond) sound system should play mp3 CDs. My 07 RX350 with the Gen 5 Nav does. Of course most of the economy and luxury cars could do this in 2006 when I bought my GX - I do miss this on long trips!
Old 01-04-09, 07:04 PM
uahogs
Driver School Candidate

I'm fairly new to the GX470 so I wouldn't change much, but would like to see:

* front controls for the rear air (my kids LOVE messing with the controls while in the back seat!)
* power quarter windows in the back
* back-up camera

Maybe I'm odd, but I am so glad Lexus kept the swing-out back door - it was a huge + when I bought mine.
Old 01-04-09, 09:26 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

GX-470 HAS a backup camera with the NAV unit!! A must have
Old 01-06-09, 06:12 AM
Nathan H5
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I think the GX470 is the most beautiful car on the road. They would be crazy to redesign it! Yeah, the little things you all have mentioned, such as HID and other stuff, but externally, this is one elegant SUV.
Fred
Old 02-09-09, 12:02 PM
naimyGX470
Driver School Candidate

I hope that they will incorperate the 6 speed automatic transmition to maybe help the fuel economy and also to have standard heated cooled seats, bi xenons, power 3rd row seats, power tail gate, the push start/stop, maybe some bigger rims size 18 or 19 maybe, and maybe the the self guided parallel parking that the ls460 has?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wish list on re-designed GX470