GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wish list on re-designed GX470

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 12:08 PM
Eagle1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Navigation with "Text to Speech". I cannot believe my 2008 doesn't have have this. You can buy a $300 unit with it.
Old 02-08-08, 10:30 AM
LexiGx470
Driver School Candidate

5 speed gear box option
wider body
backup ultrasonics sensors
rear view camera
LED tail light
move DVD player from center console to the roof. add control buttons.
Bigger DVD player screen.
Rechargeable remote control and wireless headsets (on the car)
Old 02-08-08, 10:35 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LexiGx470
5 speed gear box option
wider body
backup ultrasonics sensors
rear view camera
LED tail light
move DVD player from center console to the roof. add control buttons.
Bigger DVD player screen.
Rechargeable remote control and wireless headsets (on the car)
You mean a 5 speed manual? Already comes with a 5 sp auto.

Rear view camera-GX already has.
Bigger DVD, newer models have this.
Wireless headsets-has that also.

You must have a 03.
Old 03-15-08, 09:09 AM
Nathan H5
Driver School Candidate

I haven't seen any real changes in the GX470 since 2003 and up. Physically, they look about the same fromthe outside. I know there have been alot of internal and technical changes, but looking at a GX in the parking lot, I am unable to tell what year it is. In another thread, someone said they have changed the tail lights on the 2008 model, but am also told those will interchange with those on an earlier GX. I love the looks of the 2003 and up GX470's, they are cool looking.Fred
Old 03-20-08, 05:57 AM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Since it's fairly clear now that the official "redesign" isn't coming until the '10 model year, does anyone have any info as to what minor changes are coming for this fall with the '09s?

We have 2 '04 GXs and am considering doing something with them. The '08 GX is almost identical to mine except for the NAV system, XM and bluetooth on the inside and some chrome on the door handles and inside trim. The dealer's service department did say that they had an Alpine adapter that would give full iPod integration.

I'm a technology geek, and it seems like Lexus is bringing up the rear on adding the geek features I like. I would try to wait for the '10 redesign, but I don't like the new body styles on the 4Runner and LX and I'm sure that's what the GX will look like.
Old 04-14-08, 07:31 PM
Tengbt
Driver School Candidate

Agree with most posters above. i would also request the following on the next gx:
a) simple coin holder instead of my makeshift ashtray/coinbox
b) "rav4 mode" button to reduce size into baby suv so i can't be charged will b.s. "oversized" fees for garages, car washes, etc... (although reducing into a suitcase would be ideal, but of course, that's not being realistic )
c) "yellow cab demobilizer" If u live in nyc, you know what i mean...
d) "salution sender" preprogrammed button using bluetooth & GPS to transmit a graphical finger into your targeted auto's gps display/device screen.
Old 04-15-08, 03:22 PM
JasonCANES
Driver

Tengbt - I love where your head is, but in reality, I would settle for a coin holder and a center bench console
Old 05-10-08, 05:50 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Here is my thought having just gone to an RX which seems to get updated more often and has all the nice stuff in it!

1. Rear Door - stupidest thing ever (and even opens the wrong way) - should be a power lift gate
2. Fuel Cap retainer - look at a BMW and make it the same so it doesn't fall down all the time and scratch the paint.
3. 5.7L
4. Gen 5 Nav that doesn't look 10 years old
5. Remove the Cassette Deck
6. HD Radio
7. Ipod
8. Factory Dual Headrest Rear Seat Entertainment with 110 AC and inputs in the back like the RX
9. Comfort Access keyless ignition like IS
10. Bigger Rear Doors and more rear seat room (like RX)
11. Fold Flat 2nd row
12. 3rd row the fold better instead of folding up to the sides
13. LED tails
14. Xenons (think the new ones have these already - I had an 06)
15. Some new wheel options
16. Surround Sound with ML
17. Better console, more room and moveable like RX
18. Panoramic SunRoof
19. Power rear window so you don't have to open the entire hatch
20. A glovebox that holds more than just the giant user manual
21. heated rear seats
22. movable rear seats
23. Most important - it gets better fuel mileage and cost less than it does now!
Old 05-10-08, 02:49 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rklages
Here is my thought having just gone to an RX which seems to get updated more often and has all the nice stuff in it!
I've driven the RX several times (as dealer loaners during service) and I didn't notice the RX having "all the nice stuff" that would make it appreciatively better then the GX. IMO the RX feels (no offense to RX drivers) a couple cuts below the GX in terms of luxury. In fact, sales of GX were down only 4.9% in April whereas sales of RX were down 15.9%. So apparently the GX does have most of the "nice stuff" folks want

Also, I believe the RX is actually due for an update before the GX. With the '08 Highlander out already, we'll probably see the new RX any day now. The GX probably won't be redesigned for '09 model year but we might get an early '10.

I'll post my comments to each of your points below:

1. Rear Door - stupidest thing ever (and even opens the wrong way) - should be a power lift gate

GX is over 8" higher then RX, so having a swing up door like RX would be problematic for most garages. Both GX and RX would benefit from a retractable rear window like the 4Runner.

2. Fuel Cap retainer - look at a BMW and make it the same so it doesn't fall down all the time and scratch the paint.

My GX has a fuel cap retainer - not sure what the problem is.

3. 5.7L

This is inconsistent with item #23 below

4. Gen 5 Nav that doesn't look 10 years old

Not sure what the problem is with the nav, even the one in my '03 looks great IMO and works great. Way better then what I've seen in my friends' BMWs and MBs. Although I guess the latest technology is to have the maps built in to a hard drive.

5. Remove the Cassette Deck

I use this alot for continuing education tapes - it comes in handy IMO.

6. HD Radio

Agreed.

7. Ipod

The newer GX's already come with an mp3 audio plug

8. Factory Dual Headrest Rear Seat Entertainment with 110 AC and inputs in the back like the RX

RX has the same single drop down screen like the GX - if it has dual headrest screens it's aftermarket.

9. Comfort Access keyless ignition like IS

My last loaner RX had this - you still have to press a button to start the vehicle so all it saves you is having to take a key out of your pocket. No big deal IMO

10. Bigger Rear Doors and more rear seat room (like RX)

GX middle row has more headroom, legroom, and shoulder room then rear seat of RX so I'm not sure what you're talking about - the middle row of GX is about as good as it gets IMO.

11. Fold Flat 2nd row

Agreed.

12. 3rd row the fold better instead of folding up to the sides

I like the current design because it allows you to completely remove the seats and save all that extra dead weight. I only use my third row a few times a year when I have relatives in town. Most 3rd row designs I've seen that fold down are not removeable (like the MDX) so all that dead weight will diminish performance and fuel economy.

13. LED tails

Agreed.

14. Xenons (think the new ones have these already - I had an 06)

As I've said before in the LX570 xenon thread, IMO Lexus has made the responsible decision to leave Xenons out of their frame based SUVs. Try sitting in my Spyder with an Escalade behind you and you'll know what I mean. The projector beam headlights along with the fogs provide plenty of light on my GX IMO

15. Some new wheel options

Agreed, if the 4Runner Ltd gets 18's so should the GX.

16. Surround Sound with ML

I guess I agree, but most passengers who've heard the 14 speaker ML system in my GX are blown away already.

17. Better console, more room and moveable like RX

I don't remember being all that impressed with the RX console.

18. Panoramic SunRoof

Agreed.

19. Power rear window so you don't have to open the entire hatch

Agreed.

20. A glovebox that holds more than just the giant user manual

Agreed.

21. heated rear seats

I'd rather have cooled front seats - let the folks in back suffer

22. movable rear seats

Agreed, would be nice to be able to slide 2nd row up a little in order to provide more leg room for 3rd row when necessary.

23. Most important - it gets better fuel mileage and cost less than it does now!

I doubt it will cost less with the dollar going down the tubes - in fact I thought I just read that Toyota/Lexus are raising prices in a couple weeks on most of their models - not commonly done in the middle of a model year. As far as mileage, I don't see it getting any better with a traditional V8, maybe an extra mpg or two at best. Even the 400h drivers seem to average only about 25 to 26 mpg in real world driving so I don't see a hybrid offering much benefit either. What I would like to see them offer is a turbodiesel like they already do for the Prado overseas.

Last edited by GatorGreg; 05-10-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-10-08, 10:53 PM
pump142
Driver

button push start
cooled seats
power 2nd and 3rd row fold flat seats
LEd / HID everywhere
IPOD intergration
HYBRID
better more useful console
more comfortable armrests
power lift gate instead of rear door
power rear vent windows
remote start on key fob
more 12 volt power points
few more inches of cargo space in rear would be nice
360 degree cam for backing
classy digital dash
Old 05-12-08, 08:24 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaking of power...

I agree with more 12 volt power points, but they also need to increase the measly 120 watts total power! That is too underpowered for many devices.

The 120V power point in the rear compartment is a good idea, but execution is useless for most devices. It needs to be a grounded three prong plug receptacle with a flat surface that will take larger plugs or charger type converters.

Also, there should be at least one 12V power point that remains "hot" with the vehicle off (GM, Ford has this). In case of emergency when you can't start your car, it would be nice to have a way to power a light or your cell phone, for instance.
Old 05-16-08, 01:30 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to turn the GX into too much power-crap-laden over-gizmo'd luxury yacht.

I love it for how straightforward and simple it is, and for the fact that it's a "utility truck" and doesn't hide this fact. I love the quirky nature of the side opening rear gate. It's unique in a sea of bland uniformity.

Thus, my list of requests would be pretty small:
- Diesel, Diesel, Diesel. I don't care if I lose HP. I'd be happy with better gas mileage and more torque. I don't want to lose any towing capacity in the bargain.
- Perhaps a de-contented version with the KDSS option. I'd strongly consider a stripper Diesel with KDSS. If they don't offer something like this, I'm probably going to keep my current '07 "forever".

I guess what I want is a Diesel Land Cruiser Prado
Old 05-17-08, 08:06 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

I have to agree on the diesel. BMW is bringing their diesel for the X5 this fall, and Benz & Audi/VW will have their BlueTec engines out this fall and spring as well. This would be a perfect opportunity for Lexus to jump in with the GX redesign. A hybrid wouldn't help with this truck nearly as much as the diesel would (unless they want to bring a diesel hybrid!). More torque for towing PLUS better gas mileage is a perfect fit. I have 2 '04 GX's and I don't need any extra horsepower, that's a waste. But torque and fuel economy are very desirable.

As for the other stuff, I love electronics and gadgets. I know Lexus doesn't like to be on the bleeding edge of that stuff, but I'd just like for them to catch up with the features they have on the rest of their models. Things like push-button start, ventilated seats, true iPod/XM integration into the NAV screen, etc...

And as for this badly beaten horse...I LOVE the side opening rear door. Just spent a week at the beach with my in-laws Pilot and absolutely hated reaching up over my head to close that thing or trying to make sure I didn't bang my head on it walking under it. And a poster above is correct, if that door opened upwards with the current truck, you'd need a ladder to get up there to reach it.
Old 07-23-08, 04:14 PM
WhyNotMe01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we expect major redesign for 09?
Old 07-23-08, 07:10 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Originally Posted by WhyNotMe01
can we expect major redesign for 09?
No, everything we've heard points to '10 model being the redesign. The '09 is another carry-over.

Quick Reply: Wish list on re-designed GX470