GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Keep or ditch the DRLs?
Keep them.
62.82%
Get rid of them.
37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Keep or ditch the DRL's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 09:04 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Keep or ditch the DRL's?

Was thinking of getting the dealer to deactivate my DRLs when I go in for my free oil change, from what I've read here it seems like something I could ask them to do. The orange lights always on look hideous IMO on my Dorado Gold GX. But that same hideousness I guess is what makes me super visible to other traffic - it seems like there are definitely fewer people trying to pull out in front of me at intersections, etc, cuz of the DRLs. But I figure if I get them deactivated I can just leave the headlights on if I'm concerned about visibility. Curious what the preference is of fellow GX owners.
Old 08-07-07, 09:06 AM
Salvator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer DLRs... My wife drives a silver car, and had her DLRs turned off... keeps complaining about people pulling out in front of her... Because of the automatic headlights, she never bothers to physically turn them on... Whenever I drive her car, I turn on the lights and have no issues... I'd leave 'em on...
Old 08-07-07, 09:17 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Thanks for your input Salvator. Not sure about your wife's car, but with the GX we have the option of course of just leaving the headlights in the "ON" position (not AUTO). That way whenever you start the car your headlights will be on for good DRLish visibility, and they will automatically go off after about 30 seconds I think when you turn the engine off.
Old 08-07-07, 12:09 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you leave the headlight on, the DRL will shut off. 2 problems solved.
Old 08-07-07, 05:32 PM
JGX
Driver School Candidate

I drive all the time with head lights and fog lights on it looks cooler it think.

Last edited by JGX; 08-07-07 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-08-07, 01:02 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Proven safety feature and many dealers will not even deactivate them.
Old 08-08-07, 01:34 PM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
Thanks for your input Salvator. Not sure about your wife's car, but with the GX we have the option of course of just leaving the headlights in the "ON" position (not AUTO). That way whenever you start the car your headlights will be on for good DRLish visibility, and they will automatically go off after about 30 seconds I think when you turn the engine off.

Her car would do that too... but no dice... she insists on leaving them on automatic... No point in getting in an argument about it, I've said my piece...
Old 08-09-07, 06:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Salvator
Her car would do that too... but no dice... she insists on leaving them on automatic... No point in getting in an argument about it, I've said my piece...
If she insists on leaving her DLRs turned off, then tell her to stop complaining about people pulling out in front of her
Old 08-09-07, 06:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Not a GX owner, but I disconnected them in my RX300 (there is a cable underneath the battery plate). Although I am aware it eats very little power and is a safety feature, I hardly see a single car down here with them, plus I could use a little extra power on the track.
Old 08-10-07, 08:58 AM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

I had the dealer turn mine off and I do it to all the cars I have or buy. There is NO federal law that requires them (unlike Canada), therefore, if you want them off, they will turn them off.
Old 08-10-07, 10:55 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I perfer them off simply because in my opinion it would burn the bulbs faster which means another task to do. Yeah, I'm lazy like that.

Then again, I'm lazy to bring it to the dealership to have them turn it off so for the time being its on. Realistically when I'm driving I really don't even notice it so no harm no foul here.
Old 08-10-07, 12:39 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The DRL's use the high beam bulbs. How often does one use the high beams compared to the low's? You'll have to replace the low's much more often, so I wouldn't worry about it. Somewhere I read that you are 33% more likely to get hit without DRL's (or low beams or some kind of lights on) during the daytime than with. I'd keep 'em. If you drive on highways/country roads (not interstates), it means the guy about to pull out and turn across your path will more likely see you. And if you live in the city and there aren't green turning arrows, the guy making the turn is more likely to see you approaching.

I wonder if the dealer makes you sign a legal waiver if they disable them?
Old 08-10-07, 02:50 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
The DRL's use the high beam bulbs.
Not on the GX though - the DRL's on the GX use the orange turn signals - there are a few threads here where folks mention that they do tend to burn out somewhat frequently.

I'm starting to lean towards keeping them though. Just today on my way to lunch I was coming around a blind right curve with hedges, I usually have my foot hoverig over the brake when I'm on this curve cuz it's a place where I've been cut off before by folks pulling out of a parking lot to the right and there was a horrific accident there less then a year ago. Some guy who was pulling out without coming to a complete stop at his stop sign sees me at the last second (I'm guessing cuz of the DRLs) and slams on his brakes with the front of his car about halfway into the right lane. I'm in the left lane fortunately and didn't have to slam on my brakes but makes me wonder what would have happened without the DRLs.
Old 08-11-07, 11:20 AM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

The dealer did not make me sign a waiver or anything. I just pointed out to him that in the manual, it says the customer has the option to have the dealer turn them off at their request. Simple enough. Now if it would say in the manual that they would turn on the full menu of the NAV unit while driving. That would make us all happy!
Old 10-17-07, 12:40 PM
NexVision
Rookie

Just had the dealer get rid of em I hated those little *****es. They didnt know it was possible but had no prblems hooking there toy up to it to find the option took em about 15 mins to find it and disable it didnt even make a appt. Gotta love Palm Beach Lexus.

Quick Reply: Keep or ditch the DRL's?