GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DIY - XM (factory) Radio kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 09:39 AM
airdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY - XM (factory) Radio kit

I bought a new 2007 GX 470 last week that was loaded with everything but the XM radio package.
I figured that the dealer held off on it so they could make some extra bucks by doing the install (common practice with options).
Anyway, I asked how much to add it and they told me $599. Wow, XM for $599! What a deal??? Needless to say, I left without the XM kit.

So I came home, jumped on the net and found it at Sewell Lexus in Dallas for $299. Still not a great bargain for XM but at least it was 1/2 of what my
dealer wanted. So if your looking for a DIY project and you wanna save $300 here ya go.

Go to www.lexus-parts.com and order parts:

861000W230-FITKIT, XM, GX - Item Total:$100.00
861800W030-RCEIVR, XM SDAR - Item Total:$199.00

Here's a link to the Lexus install instructions (.pdf)
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...e=post&id=6734
Old 05-09-07, 04:47 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

airdog-
if you want to save 10% more, you mention the ClubLexus Sewell discount code: CL911M
Old 05-11-07, 08:32 AM
airdog
Driver School Candidate

Just a little feedback on the install:

I started around 4:30 yesterday and finished up around 9:30.
(Now I know why Lexus wants $300 ti install it)

Though I'm not a novice at electronics and car stereo installs this was quite a task.
You have to remove the Nav/Radio unit, lower drivers side dash around steering column, harness bracket,
lower cowl/footrest, both drivers side door sills, rear panel, rear carpet, rear door sill, and tail light. WOW!

My wife freaked when she came home and saw her new GX spread out all over the garage.

Anyway, Lexus sure does build awesome vehicles and the attention to details
is second to none. The kit was a perfect fit and the instructions were unbelievably detailed and precise.
Cushion tape on the connectors; who’d have ever thunk it?

It took 15 minutes to activate after registering it on the net.
Plays perfect!
Old 05-13-07, 01:39 PM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Would this be a similar set up with the VIASTECH SLS (sirius interface and tuner) unit? (As far as the install would be concerned?) Also, did you have to run an external antenna for the XM or is there one built into the nav unit antenna by the rear view mirror? Thanks in advance!
Ace.
Old 05-13-07, 05:56 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Actually, from personal experience, the VaisTech unit is easier to install. I did both on my '04. Long story but I was sold the OEM kit but it didn't work w/ my '04 (too early mfg date). I erred in installing it w/out completely testing it. Turned out it didn't work and I had to then uninstall. Installing the OEM is a little bit of a PITA with having to remove all the trim, accessing the amp and running the entire harness from the rear of vehicle to front and behind the dash.

Then I bought the VaisTech unit which works. Benefit of SLS or SLX vs OEM unit is you can mount everything in/behind the dash/glovebox including the Sirius or XM tuner box. Then all you have to do is run the antenna wire to the rear of the vhicle. Running antenna wire is easily done by just tucking the thin wire into the trim panels all the way to the rear - plenty of lead to do so.

JM2C
Old 05-14-07, 08:09 AM
Ace E.
Driver School Candidate

Did you mount the antenna in the rear then (on the roof)? Could one mount one near the front on the dash (nicely done of course) or externally on the roof (like I did on another vehicle)? Just curious.
Old 05-15-07, 08:19 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

I mounted it on the roof in rear. It's very small and b/c of the spoiler, you really can't see it unless you are 7' tall.

You could mount it on the dash, but know you'll not get as strong of a signal and may get drop outs. It all depends on where you live, which service you have and the # of terrestial repeaters in your area. I put Sirius (the OEM kit) in my daughter's Explorer and even w/ a roof mount antenna, it drop outs under bridges and sometimes in the mountains or on very steep hills (not many terrestial repeaters in western PA where we live). In our GX and our GS (w/ shark fin) we have XM w/ roof mount antennas and hardly ever get drops - just in really long tunnels and even then it's rare. I also have XM in my Boxster and I hid the antenna under a plastic panel on the dash and it only drops in tunnels. So, you might be ok w/ a dash antenna depending on where in TX you are. Might check out a Sirius forum and see what others say that have it in you area.
Old 05-26-07, 09:21 PM
mmgibbs
Driver School Candidate

Default Xm ???

When the dealer installs the XM kit does the title and artist show on the audio screen?
Old 08-28-09, 09:45 PM
gears
Driver School Candidate

Default XM Radio, easy install like OEM

Hi, after reading all this I decided to go with the VAIS unit. Bought it from Integration Solutions on ebay for about $ 269.00.
Installation was a breeze. Removing radio stack is easy and all you have to do is plugging in a bunch of wire harnesses. The VAIS unit fits well between dash and glovebox. The Antenna is magnetic and I found the best location to be right above the windshield on the roof next to the passenger side door. The thin wire tuck neatly into the windshield molding. Run it down A-Pillar, into cmall gap, through door around top hinge height and tuck into door molding. Run it under glove box from their. Its simple. Took me about 1 hour. For the inexperienced may be longer. Just be very carefull removing the wood trim around radio. I read some cracked theirs. Best is to refer to a ALLDATA sheet or so. But don't worry, they are just snapped in and you need to pop them off with care.

The XM unit works extremely well. Never saw the OEM unit on the screen but the VAIS unit looks just like it could be a OEM unit as it operates through the Navigation screen and with Audio system just like it is described in my GX470 owners manual.
Old 08-29-09, 09:06 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where's the navi antenna(s)? Dealer said my XM (Vais) antenna was interfering with it when it was on the rear of the truck near the rear spoiler (passenger side, I think). Thanks!
Old 08-30-09, 05:13 PM
nmmuzykam
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I have the same problem, where my GPS signal drops as soon as the XM Vaistech Unit is turned on. My antenna is mounted on the rear roof above the spoiler. Any ideas on what I can do? Maybe move some wires? I didn't install it myself, but could probably figure it out...