GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Aftermarket DVD for GX

Old 01-17-07, 06:17 AM
latinmon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket DVD for GX

Hi guys, I just picked up an 04 GX with 25k miles for $34k (I think I got a good deal), but it does not have a dvd player. Wondering if anyone here can recommend a system they have experience with or even if its possible to get the OEM system and have it installed.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Rgds.

Latinmon
Old 01-17-07, 05:58 PM
uclahenry
Driver School Candidate

Latinmon,

Congrats! Good deal! What color combo did you get? Did you get it a certified preowned from a lexus dealer? and is there a backup camera? some early 04's did not have them.

Im looking to do the same thing to my 04 GX. I am thinking of getting this unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tdb2yN0...257KDDV620#Tab

installing it in the center console and then installing the nav-tv toy01 unit to allow viewing on the front navigation screen...thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Henry
Old 01-18-07, 02:21 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uclahenry

thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Henry
Henry.....

Consider this:

~ Cap
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket DVD for GX-console.gif  
Old 01-18-07, 02:33 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i prefer the invision system which is installed by many lexus dealers. gives you the dual screens in the back of the headrests which are capable of playing 2 different dvds at once.
Old 01-18-07, 03:13 PM
rklages
Pole Position

I have the invision dual headrest system and it works well and integrates nicely - dvd players are in the screens, so install is very clean - each screen can watch their own DVD or you can watch either dvd on either screen - wireless headsets and fm transmitter to the radio. I did a coastaletech lockpick and built a video switch box and can watch either source on the front screen and get audio that way also. That works well, but I would not recommend coastaletech unit as I have had some problems and I would say their support is horrible, but I can't seem to get any support at all out of them, they just seem to ignore email and phone calls, so the toy01 module might be a better bet to get the video to the front, then you can tell why the kids are complaining about their dvd!

The invision stuff comes with factory match type warranties - they sell only to dealers, but you can buy the kits several places on the web and on ebay for 1200-1500

http://www.invisionindustries.com/products.html

Rob
Old 01-20-07, 11:59 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

I have a Clarion 935 head unit and a Clarion 15" monitor for the rear. The monitor came with the wireless headsets and we had an external port connected so that we can hook up a game system directly to the monitor as well.

Old 01-22-07, 08:30 PM
uclahenry
Driver School Candidate

need suggestions on where to mount a normal 1 din unit headunit for dvd / mp3 usage...mainly for the driver to access...would like it clean and hidden (would like to avoid cutting into the dash and I think the center console between the seats is too shallow)

Thanks,

Henry
Old 01-28-07, 11:36 AM
latinmon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies - the truck is certified and its a late 04 build without the nav - Blizzard Pearl w/ Beige interior.

That clarion lcd is huge, does that fold up and how does it look when not in use?

I am also looking at this, similar to the invision:

http://www.vizualogic.com/

They say they can match the leather perfectly.

Rgds.

Ricardo
Old 01-29-07, 03:00 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally Posted by latinmon
Thanks for the replies - the truck is certified and its a late 04 build without the nav - Blizzard Pearl w/ Beige interior.

That clarion lcd is huge, does that fold up and how does it look when not in use?

I am also looking at this, similar to the invision:

http://www.vizualogic.com/

They say they can match the leather perfectly.

Rgds.

Ricardo
The front monitor (7") retracts into the dash. The big lcd screen (15") folds up manually. It basically looks like you've got a laptop glued to your roof. The only thing I don't like is that it's black, but honestly I don't even notice it anymore. Also, I had to remove the dome lights to have it put in. We thought about the headrest monitors, but wanted something different. We had 7" headrest monitors in my husbands old GS300. They look very nice too.
Old 02-04-07, 08:23 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by allisonb1013
The front monitor (7") retracts into the dash. The big lcd screen (15") folds up manually. It basically looks like you've got a laptop glued to your roof. The only thing I don't like is that it's black, but honestly I don't even notice it anymore. Also, I had to remove the dome lights to have it put in. We thought about the headrest monitors, but wanted something different. We had 7" headrest monitors in my husbands old GS300. They look very nice too.
I got mine from the Lexus dealership, and they work great.