GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 03:51 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Rotors

After 22000 miles the rotors are warped. I think its the back ones. Does anyone know if the rotors can be cut? Also what brake pads are you using if not OEM?
Old 01-03-07, 04:40 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89vette
After 22000 miles the rotors are warped. I think its the back ones. Does anyone know if the rotors can be cut? Also what brake pads are you using if not OEM?
It's very unlikely that the rear rotors are warped. Most of the heat and friction is on the front rotors and it's a very common problem with this car. I have heard that some people on this forum have had them replaced under warranty, so you may want to go down that road.

The problem is not really the pads or the rotors. The problem is the size of the rotor. It is really too small for a vehichle of this weight. The small size equates to less surface area on the rotor and less friction area on the pad. So, with less surface area, more friction has to be applied to the smaller area=more heat. It's the heat that warps rotors. But at the same time it's the largest rotor that will fit in the tiny wheels that Lexus decided to put on the GX.

So, without replacing your breaking system with a larger setup-which would require fitting your car with larger wheels, you really only have one option.

-Replace your rotors with ones that can dissipate the heat better: Some people feel that drilled rotors are the best way to do this. Others say that slotted rotors are the best. I went with drilled and slotted rotors and Axxis pads and have much better "pedal feel" since then. (I did this because my rotors warped at 20k miles too). I did not want to simply put the same rotor back on the car because I knew that there is better technology out there.

The bottom line is that the OEM brake setup is not big enough for this car. So, you can find the whatever "fix" you want that is in your budget. Replace everything-go Brembo Big Brakes, replace rotors with something that won't get as hot, or just let the dealer replace it with what you know will probably warp again in 20k miles-but you bought yourself some time

My 2c
Old 01-03-07, 07:38 PM
financedog
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes, Rotors can be turned....

My rear rotors were warped too around 26k. The dealer turned them and I have not experienced any vibration since. The car has 41K now.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it had cronic warped rotors. I think they were warped after only 5K miles. It drove me crazy.

Because of this, I asked many owners and mechanics if warped rotors were a common occurance on the GX before I bought the car. In summary, I found that the GX rotors were not any more likely to warp than any other vehicle on the road today. However, it can happen on any vehicle.
Old 01-03-07, 08:45 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Do you guys get your car washed at the dealer? I can't tell you how many times I go to the dealer wash after driving a few miles to the dealership. The front rotors are still hot and then they spray water (manually & in the wash) on the front wheels to the point that you can see steam coming off them. That sure isn't good for the rotors and often leads to warping.
Old 01-03-07, 09:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I have yet to see any stock brake system which doesn't warp rotors. That includes Porsche, MB, BMW, Corvettes, etc. They will all do it under the right conditions.
Old 01-04-07, 02:46 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
They will all do it under the right conditions.
That's the point, our cars are doing it under normal driving conditions.
Old 06-06-08, 09:00 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I am very surprised there are not more posts on the subject regarding the problem with the GX rotors...

In speaking with a lexus mechanic who is a 16 yr veteran as a lexus master technician, the rear rotors of the GX have a history of premature warping. As noted in another post, the rotors are undersized for the weight of the GX. Resurfacing only thins the rotor further so it is more then likely to not only warp again, but warp sooner, which is why IN THIS CASE it is recommended to replace vs. resurface. W/32k miles on my GX that has rotors that started warping around 20k, I am looking into the CRYO Slotted Rotors. I replaced my front OEM rotors on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which warped chronically w/the cryo rotors and never had a problem after.

Last edited by cssnms; 06-06-08 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 03:27 PM
98Nav400
Driver

I have an '04 with ~ 40k miles. At around 20k Lexus replaced the pads/turned rotors on all wheels due to brake warpage. The brakes have become warped again in the last 1k miles or so. I will have them fixed on my own dime this time without asking.

It is not uncommon for brakes to warp on heavier vehicles. It's happened on every SUV I have owned in the last 8 or so years. For me, it is part of the cost of ownership. With this being the only real "fault" within 40k miles I am happy. Moreover, without Lexus doing what they did on their dime at 20k I suspect I would be due for a full replacement by now so ..I am money ahead in my mind.

I am sure will say it shouldn't happen on any vehicle but in my experience it does regardless of the manufacturer (Ford, Nissan, Lexus).
Old 06-06-08, 04:08 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I guess i'm one of the few lucky ones. I have an 04' with 57,xxx miless and i haven't replaced my brake pads or rotors yet. Now thinking about it, i might have to check just to be sure that everything is fine. But i'm sure if my rotors have warped, i would have notice it by now. Good luck to the op
Old 06-07-08, 01:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Warped my front rotors within 5k miles due to my driving style.
The rear rotors (front too) do not have a lot of meat on them so turning them will just make them even thinner and more prone to warping again.

I purchased the Ebay drilled/slotted (for looks) and Hawk HPS pads. Have 10k (some hard) miles including towing some cars (200+ miles) and no warping so far. To be honest this truck is way under braked and I keep meaning to upgrade to a BBK kit.
Old 05-25-23, 07:35 AM
jbonecpa
1st Gear

Default GX 460 warped rotors

My 2019 GX has 85K miles on it and I’m on my 3rd set of rotors. These were installed last fall. I can feel the issue starting again. It will be several months before they get too bad, but damn Lexus fix the problem! This is the 5th Lexus I have purchased and likely the last. I’m currently looking to sell my GX and buy something else. A $60k+ vehicle should not have these types of issues.
Just curious for those who have installed rotors other than the standard where did they have them installed?
Old 05-25-23, 07:47 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have heard swapping to GX460 calipers and rotors helps. The GX460 has thicker rotors (thus more metal) and resists warping and will not get brake fade as fast. The GX460 is supposed to be a direct bolt on so no modifications needed.
I did replace my stock rotors to a different brand (I think stoptech? It has been a while) and it also warped after some time. I think the engineers did not take enough consideration of the braking needs of the car.
Old 05-25-23, 08:32 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by jbonecpa
My 2019 GX has 85K miles on it and I’m on my 3rd set of rotors. These were installed last fall. I can feel the issue starting again. It will be several months before they get too bad, but damn Lexus fix the problem! This is the 5th Lexus I have purchased and likely the last. I’m currently looking to sell my GX and buy something else. A $60k+ vehicle should not have these types of issues.
Just curious for those who have installed rotors other than the standard where did they have them installed?

2019 makes it a GX 460....rotors don't really "warp" its a buildup of pad material on the surface of the rotor making it uneven...have them resurfaced
Old 05-25-23, 09:33 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is a link regarding warped rotors and supports your statement regarding a buildup of material on the rotor

https://www.centricparts.com/media/t...c-8-2018_1.pdf
Old 05-26-23, 06:01 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 520 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by jbonecpa
If you have a '19 then you have a GX460, you've posted in the GX470 section, FYI.

If you've have had that many sets of rotors "warp" in that time, then it's got to have something to do with HOW you're braking, try changing your technique and I bet your rotors quit building up deposits like this. That is a pile of miles to put on in that time, but you shouldn't be having repeated problems like this.
The following users liked this post:
ASE (06-05-23)

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors