GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wood Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07, 08:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hola, Lexus Mejico.....

I will bet that the kit you bought was not from Sherwood Dash. Their stuff is made to perfection. Not all kits are the same.

~ Cap
No, it sure was not from Sherwood Dash. The pieces that I left on from Joshua Tree you can see here, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/7

Perhaps in the future (when I am a little more inclined to do things other than performance modifications to my RX300), I will redo it.
Old 01-07-07, 07:31 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is more wood better (especially if it looks OEM golden birds eye maple?)

Hola, Lexus Mejico.....

I will bet that the kit you bought was not from Sherwood Dash. Their stuff is made to perfection. Not all kits are the same.

~ Cap
Thanks for your advice as always. I ordered one of their kits. How did you decide which pieces to put on and which ones to leave off if you don't mind my asking? I always thought that more wood (if made to look OEM perfect) was better. For instance, if you look at the upper end Lexus LS 460 and BMW 7 series sedans, which most people agree are top of the class classy, they are loaded with wood, much more so than our GX's. I would appreciate anyone's comments on this especially Cap's.
Old 01-08-07, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Too much wood makes the GX look getto.
Old 01-08-07, 06:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Thanks for your advice as always. I ordered one of their kits. How did you decide which pieces to put on and which ones to leave off if you don't mind my asking? I always thought that more wood (if made to look OEM perfect) was better. For instance, if you look at the upper end Lexus LS 460 and BMW 7 series sedans, which most people agree are top of the class classy, they are loaded with wood, much more so than our GX's. I would appreciate anyone's comments on this especially Cap's.
Some pieces just did not fit. Those were the ones around the steering wheel area, particularly the piece that would have gone around the area where you insert the key. With the air vents above the central console area, the wood pieces just looked out of placed compared to the wood immediately below.
Old 01-08-07, 12:21 PM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Let us know what you think about the Sherwood wood kit and how close the match is. Also, what did it cost you if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-07, 06:23 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
Let us know what you think about the Sherwood wood kit and how close the match is. Also, what did it cost you if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!
I believe the cost was around $249. I haven't gotten it yet but when I do I will let you know. According to Cap on this forum, they do a great job and the match is flawless. We'll see. I think the GX needs more wood to it like the BMW 7 series and the new Lexus LS 460. There will be a fine line between too much and too little.
Old 01-12-07, 02:16 PM
pschonig
Driver School Candidate

I was searching the net, looking for the 3M Prep Solvent 70, which is required to prep the interior plastic. I came across a couple of sites which discussed the prep/installation for the wood kits. One site said to NOT use the 3M Automotive Adhesion Promoter 4298. The kit came with two very small packs of the adhesion promoter. The instructions were too vague, stating to use the adhesion promoter and then stating to not use it if using 3M promoterless tape. The pieces have a light sticy backing. So, my question to any of you who have installed the Sherwood Dash kit, do I used the adhesion promoter or not?
Old 01-12-07, 02:26 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pschonig

So, my question to any of you who have installed the Sherwood Dash kit, do I used the adhesion promoter or not?
NO.....

~ Cap
Old 01-12-07, 03:14 PM
pschonig
Driver School Candidate

Capirato..Thanks for the help. I sure do not want to mess up the interior plastic. I am curious why Sherwood Dash would send two packets of the adhesion promoter with the kit. I did get a bit curious and peeled back a small section of the plastic backing and felt the stickiness and its did not feel that strong..hope it holds..
Old 01-12-07, 03:59 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

NO.....

~ Cap
Cap and friends, I am having mine installed (by the way the kit pieces look fantastic) Feb 1. Should I tell them any special instructions other than not to use the promoter? Should they use 3M promotorless tape? Do I need to buy that somewhere and supply that to them? Where can I buy such tape? Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for your responses and help.
Old 01-17-07, 07:31 PM
pschonig
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I called Sherwood today and they said to use the promoter. I just purchased my 2007 ES350 last night for my wife and my 2007 GX470 comes in Saturday. I called wooddash.com, who sold me the Sherwood kits for both vehicles today. They told me the most important thing to do is really, REALLY clean the area and then apply at 70 degrees or higher. They said to use the promoter ONLY on areas which have a bend and need to have a stonger bond. Wooddash.com suggested to use Simple-Green, because 3M Prep Solvent 70 is so hard to find due to EPA regulations here in the USA. I went to a local auto paint supply store and found a gallon of the 3M prep solvent 70 for $33.00. So, looks like I will be busy this weekend.
Old 01-17-07, 09:11 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must be nice to get two new vehicles at the same time !!

The reason I haven't replied to Doc is because I honestly don't remember what promoter, if anything, that I used. Seems to me that I used plain ole Rubbing Alcohol, it's been a couple of years ago.

I do recommend that you take your time, place the pieces where they are going to go, before you peel off the backing, to see exactly how they will fit. Then be real careful in placing the pieces, because once any part touches, it's on there for sure.

~ Cap
Old 02-03-07, 07:16 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Must be nice to get two new vehicles at the same time !!

The reason I haven't replied to Doc is because I honestly don't remember what promoter, if anything, that I used. Seems to me that I used plain ole Rubbing Alcohol, it's been a couple of years ago.

I do recommend that you take your time, place the pieces where they are going to go, before you peel off the backing, to see exactly how they will fit. Then be real careful in placing the pieces, because once any part touches, it's on there for sure.

~ Cap
Just wanted everyone to know that I got my 2006Lexus GX wood kit from Sherwood Dash installed yesterday at Xtreme in Franklin,TN. They were great. Took a few hours, but it looks fantastic. I strongly rec. them to anyone (both dealers.) Thanks for everyone's advice, esp. Cap for his rec. on where to get the kit.
Old 02-05-07, 07:56 AM
94SC300TX
Rookie

Just wanted everyone to know that I got my 2006Lexus GX wood kit from Sherwood Dash installed yesterday at Xtreme in Franklin,TN. They were great. Took a few hours, but it looks fantastic. I strongly rec. them to anyone (both dealers.) Thanks for everyone's advice, esp. Cap for his rec. on where to get the kit.

Post up some pics of your install, did you have the entire kit installed or just select pieces?
Old 02-05-07, 08:02 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94SC300TX
Post up some pics of your install, did you have the entire kit installed or just select pieces?
I had the entire kit installed except the ***** around the Mark Levinson stereo. I will post pictures soon. Will you please tell me where you got your bypass for the bluetooth and DVD player for the front? I do not want to go with coastaltech, can you rec. something?

Quick Reply: Wood Kits