GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 06:48 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?

We just had twins (boy and girl) and already have a 3 year old daughter. I am scratching my head to figure out how I can fit all 3 child seats together in the back seat.

I have 3rd row seating, however it's almost impossible to get back there if you already have 2 child seats installed and can't bring down the 2nd row seats. Also having a car seat in the 3rd row may not be the most safe option.

I checked the 2nd row and there is not enough latches too.

If you think I can't make this happen, please suggest a larger SUV that I should look into, other than a minivan!

Thanks again.
Old 12-23-06, 07:08 PM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

The 2nd row can work if you don't use latch. There are only 2 sets of latch anchors, but that should not stop you from installing 3 seats. Just use the seat belts. Seat belts are just as safe as latch. Latch is good because it makes installing them correctly easier. Now just go find 3 car seats that will fit across the 2nd row of the GX. Please let us know what you find.
Old 12-23-06, 09:42 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think you need the latch anchors for another year, as I think they are for when the seat is forward facing (latches to the top back of the seat to prevent it from moving forward [at least it's like this on my britax convertible seat]). Unless you can find 3 seats that fit in the 2nd row, I'd put the front facing seat for your 3 yr old in one 3rd row seat, remove the other 3rd row seat, and have the child enter/exit through the rear door. Then put the two infants in the 2nd row. Where are you going to put the stroller for the twins if the other child is using a third row seat?

As far as the GX being big enough for 5, if this means 5 people going to the mall or grocery store, yes. But 5 people going on a week long road trip to a national park, even staying in motels and not camping...that's pushing it. I did two 10 day road trips w/ my 6 month old (at that time), a labrador retriever (in a 36x30" crate in the rear), jogger stroller, my wife and I plus gear, and the LX was packed to the hilt, most of it being baby stuff (bouncer, bathtub, etc.). I think the capacity of the LX is 2 kids, 2 adults, 1 large dog plus gear. In a GX, I'd say 1 kid, 2 adults, 1 dog or 2 kids, 2 adults, no dog. Those roof rack cases aren't that spacious, either.
Old 12-24-06, 12:00 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you again for your good advice.

What I am dealing with here is 2 rear-facing seats for the infants and one forward facing huge Britax Convertible Seat for my 3 year old.

There are not enough Latches in the rear seat of the GX, most likely due to it has to fold down to access the 3rd row, so the seat belt method is fine. The only problem is the Britax Convertible seat for my toddler is large and over hangs into the area where the infant seat plugs in, so if I position the Britax seat in the middle or the sides, the infant seat next to it will not be able to plug in.

The LX is an option, but is it really that much larger and it's too damn expensive for a vehicle that is due for a revamp soon. I was even thinking about the GMC Yukon, but I am not sure if that is much wider either. I like the new BMW X5 and MB GL450, but believe the width is just about the same as the GX, so no advantage there.
Old 12-24-06, 05:42 AM
ahc21ahc
Rookie

Why not get a smaller Britax? I have the Marathon, which is indeed huge. There is a smaller version Roundabout. Have you looked into this one? Also, you can put the two infant seats in the 60 section of the 2nd row, and the Britax in the passenger side of the 3rd row. You can still access the 3rd row using the 40 section of the 2nd row. And you have space in the rear for stroller by removing the drive side 3rd row jump seat. I would look into different car seats first, rather than a different car. Let us know what works.
Old 12-24-06, 08:14 AM
rklages
Pole Position

You can get 3 if you find really narrow seats - the latch system is somewhat unintelligent for some reason - one is in the correct place, the second one is in the middle of the 60 side of the seat, so makes it impossible to use - even without other seats it is so far in from the door you can't get the kid into it. You can use one latch, the other 2 you have to use belts. Don't know why they did this - I have had a couple cars with latch and they have been in normal spots and allow for 3 across. The third row is tough, you would have to do 2 in the 3rd row and one in the 2nd on the 40% side and then leave the 60% side folded to allow access, but access is less than easy. Best 3 across Toyota vehicle is the Sequoia it is no issue 3 across in it. Only other real option is the Benz ML, other than that you have to go to something of domestic origins and I will not be the one to ever suggest that. Just look for narrow car seats - they are out there, but the 3 year old on a booster in the middel and the rears on each side and that will also buy some room also.

Rob
Old 12-24-06, 10:11 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
The LX is an option, but is it really that much larger and it's too damn expensive for a vehicle that is due for a revamp soon. .

What do you care if it will be redesigned next year if it meets your needs and has the Lexus quality and the Landcruiser durablity/safety. Buy a used 2005 CPO with a better warranty then a new one and drive it for the next 10 years. Just because a vehicle is redesigned doesn't make it any better unless it has something you have to have. JMHO
Old 12-27-06, 02:55 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
What do you care if it will be redesigned next year if it meets your needs and has the Lexus quality and the Landcruiser durablity/safety. Buy a used 2005 CPO with a better warranty then a new one and drive it for the next 10 years. Just because a vehicle is redesigned doesn't make it any better unless it has something you have to have. JMHO
I like the current LX, but for the money (especially if new), I believe at this time there are better alternative vehicles that I can pursue in this price range. Buying used is fine too, but I unfortunately I am the spoiled type of buyer that likes to buy new and trying to get the latest and greatest. Although not thinking in practical terms, it is still hard for me to buy a current model year vehicle knowing that less than a year a totally new revamped version will be offerred.
Old 12-27-06, 02:59 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rklages
You can get 3 if you find really narrow seats - the latch system is somewhat unintelligent for some reason - one is in the correct place, the second one is in the middle of the 60 side of the seat, so makes it impossible to use - even without other seats it is so far in from the door you can't get the kid into it. You can use one latch, the other 2 you have to use belts. Don't know why they did this - I have had a couple cars with latch and they have been in normal spots and allow for 3 across. The third row is tough, you would have to do 2 in the 3rd row and one in the 2nd on the 40% side and then leave the 60% side folded to allow access, but access is less than easy. Best 3 across Toyota vehicle is the Sequoia it is no issue 3 across in it. Only other real option is the Benz ML, other than that you have to go to something of domestic origins and I will not be the one to ever suggest that. Just look for narrow car seats - they are out there, but the 3 year old on a booster in the middel and the rears on each side and that will also buy some room also.

Rob
You are correct, the latch layout in the GX is not evenly spaced, so you have to utilize the seat belt function. I appreciate the info on the Sequoia and will check it out. As for the Benz ML, I was thinking maybe the new GL would have more space, but it seems narrow at this time.

If my 3 year old can transition to the booster seat in the near future, maybe this will work out with all 3 of them in a row in the back seat.

The only other problem with using the 3rd row in the GX is that you can't fit anything behind it like the most important stroller.

The new 2007 Sienna has more power and is still the most practical way to go.
Old 12-27-06, 03:02 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ahc21ahc
Why not get a smaller Britax? I have the Marathon, which is indeed huge. There is a smaller version Roundabout. Have you looked into this one? Also, you can put the two infant seats in the 60 section of the 2nd row, and the Britax in the passenger side of the 3rd row. You can still access the 3rd row using the 40 section of the 2nd row. And you have space in the rear for stroller by removing the drive side 3rd row jump seat. I would look into different car seats first, rather than a different car. Let us know what works.
I will check out the Roundabout, since I never looked into this and assumed all the Britax Convertible seats were similar in size.

Due to uneven latch layout in the 2nd row, I will check out if I can latch one and seat belt the other next to each other and still be able to bring down the last half of the 2nd row seating to access the 3rd row. I assume that I will have to remove the infant seats first to access the 3rd row, but not sure. Also with the 3rd row seats in, I have no room to put the stroller in the back.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-27-06, 03:04 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone have the new Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon or Caddilac Escalade? Those vehicles seem to be wider, but not sure if that is the case. They are classified as full size SUVs so should have more space than the GX, but maybe not much more behind the 3rd row seats, unless you get the Extended versions of these models which are too huge.
Old 12-27-06, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

The only other problem with using the 3rd row in the GX is that you can't fit anything behind it like the most important stroller.

The new 2007 Sienna has more power and is still the most practical way to go.
The sienna is the more practical way to go. It's wider, cheaper, easier to get in/out, and have usable trunk space. Grandpa just bought one over the weekend and it is very nice and practical.

I wouldn't bother with other suvs (unless it's the extended version of any maker) for the multiple infants/toddlers. Expensive and not practical-wow, can't believe I said that

Not sure how big these britax are, but I think I'm being redundant by asking if you put the 2 baby seats in the 2nd row towards the left (on the 60%) while leaving the far right (40%) open so you can access to the 3rd row. Or 1 baby seat in the 2nd row with 2 in the back. Not sure about your rear-facing/forward facing arrangements.

However, I have vowed not to complain about the space of my gx when I saw a honda civic with 3 baby seats.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 12-27-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 02:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone have the new Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon or Caddilac Escalade? Those vehicles seem to be wider, but not sure if that is the case. They are classified as full size SUVs so should have more space than the GX, but maybe not much more behind the 3rd row seats, unless you get the Extended versions of these models which are too huge.
Just for grins go drive one of these new GM products. Check out the build quality, warranty and the JD Power report. If you just want transportation that will move the family around these will do the trick. If you are a "quality" car guy you will be upset after several months of ownership. If you go this route please report back on your ownership experience. I think you will like the Escalade if you are into bling, get the 22" wheels and the spinners.
Old 12-29-06, 06:53 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Just for grins go drive one of these new GM products. Check out the build quality, warranty and the JD Power report. If you just want transportation that will move the family around these will do the trick. If you are a "quality" car guy you will be upset after several months of ownership. If you go this route please report back on your ownership experience. I think you will like the Escalade if you are into bling, get the 22" wheels and the spinners.
I'll check out the Caddy Escalade and those 22" rims are bling, but look very nice. The two captain chairs in the 2nd row could come in handy, since it can give you easier access to the 3rd row. Although Caddy's are not as reliable and luxurious as Lexus, this new gen Caddy Escalade is a definite improvement.
Old 12-29-06, 06:54 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
The sienna is the more practical way to go. It's wider, cheaper, easier to get in/out, and have usable trunk space. Grandpa just bought one over the weekend and it is very nice and practical.

I wouldn't bother with other suvs (unless it's the extended version of any maker) for the multiple infants/toddlers. Expensive and not practical-wow, can't believe I said that

Not sure how big these britax are, but I think I'm being redundant by asking if you put the 2 baby seats in the 2nd row towards the left (on the 60%) while leaving the far right (40%) open so you can access to the 3rd row. Or 1 baby seat in the 2nd row with 2 in the back. Not sure about your rear-facing/forward facing arrangements.

However, I have vowed not to complain about the space of my gx when I saw a honda civic with 3 baby seats.
You are right, the Sienna is probably the most obvious practical way to go for my issue, however I sense the hesitation in your posting too! And mentioning Grandpa all the time is not helping in convincing me to buy a minivan!

Quick Reply: 3 Kids in the GX470? Possible?