GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID Bulb Failure

Old 10-30-06, 07:37 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Bulb Failure

Started the GX tonight and noticed one of the Xenon Depot bulbs was out. It's been a couple years, but not sure of the life expectancy on these things. Any thoughts on changing just the burnt bulb? Was anyone installed a bulb other than Xenon Depot's in their system?
Old 10-31-06, 05:09 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I guess you have already tried swapping the bulbs to see if it is the bulb or the circuitry - -if it is the bulb, I thought they were supposed to outlast the ownership of the car - - 2 years is certainly too short...
Old 11-01-06, 10:58 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kbach
Started the GX tonight and noticed one of the Xenon Depot bulbs was out. It's been a couple years, but not sure of the life expectancy on these things. Any thoughts on changing just the burnt bulb? Was anyone installed a bulb other than Xenon Depot's in their system?
Sorry to hear that Kbach. I also have the 6000k XD kit in mine but only for about 3 months and so far so good. I've not seen anyone on this forum with their XD kit bulbs burning out but I have read where kits from other vendors were not so reliable (sorry don't remember specifics off the top of my head).

Is it possible that you may have touched the bulb during installation? Also, I concur with GGGXXX in that you should at least swap the bulb to see if it is the bulb being burnt out or something wrong with the wiring/ballast. I was also under the impression that all HID bulbs have a very long life expectancy (more than most average vehicle ownership periods and certainly longer than 2 years).
Old 11-01-06, 05:58 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Got a email from Xenon Depot about testing the sytem out. I haven't troubleshot anything yet, but will this weekend. Hope it something easy. I'll keep you posted on my findings.
Old 11-04-06, 05:48 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Well, after a couple emails and troubleshooting, the bulb is still good, but the ballast is bad. I'm waiting to hear from Xenon Depot on what to do next. For the time being, the OEM bulbs are back in.
Old 11-17-06, 05:11 AM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

Got the issue at the moment. I found out the ballast on the driver side was discharging a blue fluid causing corrosion damages to the connectors (from relay). I used an electric part cleaner to clean both ends and everything seem to work for a few days but not anymore.
Old 11-17-06, 05:32 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default orclex - - how long have you had the XD hids?

Just out of curiousity, how long have you had your HIDS - -also did you have the clamps on the XD ballasts to keep the moisture out (included in recent installations)? Hope the XD kit is not that unreliable...
Old 11-17-06, 07:23 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default What has the resolution been on this issue?

Any progress/info? What has xenon depot done?
Old 11-17-06, 07:24 PM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

Exactly 2 years this coming December.
Old 11-17-06, 07:27 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm sure xenondepot will help you out. if they don't - i have a few spare test ballasts for sale. $50 each shipped.
Old 11-18-06, 02:56 PM
orclex
Driver School Candidate

Default GGGXXX- The used Tony's intructions

GGGXXX -I used the only good intructions available back then See thread GX470 H11 Xenondepot kit installed DIY guide

Kbach - On which side is your faulty ballast? If it's on the driver's side as mine, I wonder if it has anything to do with the way it's attached to vehicle per tony's instructions (90 degree vertical while the other side lays almost flat).

Driver's side ballast

Passenger's side

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
Just out of curiousity, how long have you had your HIDS - -also did you have the clamps on the XD ballasts to keep the moisture out (included in recent installations)? Hope the XD kit is not that unreliable...
Old 11-19-06, 05:52 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello,

If the component does in fact need to be replaced unfortunately I cannot replace it after the one year. Having said that, I can see what I can do about getting you a better price on a replacement given the circumstance.

Steve
Old 11-20-06, 09:09 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Steve have you had the newer version ballasts have the same problems?
Old 11-21-06, 05:39 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello,

It is not a common problem. I would be lying if we said we never had a problem as nothing is perfect. They just rarely happen and once they do happen we make sure that the problem is taken care of.

Thats why you need to be careful of where you buy from online. Many companies offer a warranty with their product and stand behind the warranty until someone actually needs to use it =)
Old 11-21-06, 08:04 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Steve - does the ballast failure have anything to do with vertical vs horizontal positioning (...ballasts on the driver side only have sufficient space to be placed vertically)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID Bulb Failure