GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: which 3 row suv will you guys buy?..why?
gx470
43.75%
'07 bmw x5
29.46%
upcoming jx?
13.39%
mb gl450
5.36%
q7
4.46%
srx
0%
escalade
2.68%
lr3
0.89%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

'07 bmw x5 or gx or upcoming jx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 11:06 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no JX coming as of now. the lx will be redesigned and come out next Dec 2007 as a 2008 model, still based off the land cruiser
Old 01-12-07, 08:48 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

Per my earlier email. We ended up getting an LR3 to replace my wife's GX. The good news is that I was looking for a Ranch truck in the $20-$25K range, and quickly discovered the best option was to buy our GX at the end of its lease for $28K, as the truck only has 34K miles on it and we paid for 48K. So, our still pristine GX, albeit with some Ponderosa pinstripping, is now serving as my Ranch/Surf vehicle.

Though the LR3 and GX are competitors on paper, they are very different trucks. My wife really likes the LR3, but she was very much against parting with the GX entirely. I could not see leasing a new GX, as there is very little in the way of discernable differences between our 2003 and the 2007, and our family is such that we need a real third row.

The X5 was completely ruled out, as the third row is a marketing exercise, and its lease rates are comparable to Cayenne S's and Range Rover Sport's.
Old 01-12-07, 08:58 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I have 2 infants and 1 toddler at this time and the GX is not large enough to accomodate. The LX is nice and probably can accomodate to 3 infant and toddler car seats, but it's very expensive and due for a much needed revamp. I checked out the MB GL450 and the BMW X5. I love the BMW X5 and it's 20" Rims and Sports package, but like the GL450, they are still not full size SUVs and about the same size or smaller than the GX.

My best best is the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade family, since they seem to have enough room. These latest revamp of this family is very nice and the Yukon Denali Option and Escalade with 20-22" rims is looking good. The Denali is the better deal at this time, since in addition to the sales price, there is a $1,750 cash back at this time too.

I still look forward to the new versions of the GX and LX. I have to say I love the GX and it's reliability, but the handling is very soft in this vehicle which I do not like, but my wife probably doesn't mind. Lexus doesn't even offer a larger wheel size upgrade for the GX after all these years.
Old 01-12-07, 03:23 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
I have 2 infants and 1 toddler at this time and the GX is not large enough to accomodate. The LX is nice and probably can accomodate to 3 infant and toddler car seats, but it's very expensive and due for a much needed revamp. I checked out the MB GL450 and the BMW X5. I love the BMW X5 and it's 20" Rims and Sports package, but like the GL450, they are still not full size SUVs and about the same size or smaller than the GX.

My best best is the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade family, since they seem to have enough room. These latest revamp of this family is very nice and the Yukon Denali Option and Escalade with 20-22" rims is looking good. The Denali is the better deal at this time, since in addition to the sales price, there is a $1,750 cash back at this time too.

I still look forward to the new versions of the GX and LX. I have to say I love the GX and it's reliability, but the handling is very soft in this vehicle which I do not like, but my wife probably doesn't mind. Lexus doesn't even offer a larger wheel size upgrade for the GX after all these years.
Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade family, at its latest evolution is not even in the same league as a used 1998 Landcruiser/LX470. You really sound excited about the fact that you can get some pretty 20"-22" wheels. Your correct you really don't need to invest in a vehicle like the LC/LX. Get the Escalade and put some 22's on it. You and 50 cent can hangout together and compare tat's
Old 01-12-07, 03:29 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Max707
Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade family, at its latest evolution is not even in the same league as a used 1998 Landcruiser/LX470. You really sound excited about the fact that you can get some pretty 20"-22" wheels. Your correct you really don't need to invest in a vehicle like the LC/LX. Get the Escalade and put some 22's on it. You and 50 cent can hangout together and compare tat's
Well if I get a Escalade, maybe it's time to get a Tat and compare with 50 Cent :-). I saw an recent LX with 22's here in the OC with the deepest dish rims and that made the Land Crusier look even more incredible!

For the best bang for the buck, the American Full and Oversize SUVs still have a strong offerring.
Old 01-12-07, 04:09 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Well if I get a Escalade, maybe it's time to get a Tat and compare with 50 Cent :-). I saw an recent LX with 22's here in the OC with the deepest dish rims and that made the Land Crusier look even more incredible!

For the best bang for the buck, the American Full and Oversize SUVs still have a strong offerring.

Don't forget the resale rate will be a paltry amount on the GM vehicles in a couple of years. There's more to it than just getting a good buy in the beginning.
Old 01-12-07, 04:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

My nephew keeps buying GM full size SUV's and also has a new 4 door CJ or YJ or whatever they call them. He loses his *** everytime he trades. I think the piston slap is one of the nicest features that you get with the GM line of SUV's.
Old 01-14-07, 10:28 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Max707
My nephew keeps buying GM full size SUV's and also has a new 4 door CJ or YJ or whatever they call them. He loses his *** everytime he trades. I think the piston slap is one of the nicest features that you get with the GM line of SUV's.
GM, Ford and Chrysler hook a lot of unknowing people when they give rebates of $10,000 off on the iron that they make. Like I said above, when it comes time to trade or sell, they take a hosing. It's a never ending cycle.
Old 01-15-07, 11:45 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Per my earlier email. We ended up getting an LR3 to replace my wife's GX. The good news is that I was looking for a Ranch truck in the $20-$25K range, and quickly discovered the best option was to buy our GX at the end of its lease for $28K, as the truck only has 34K miles on it and we paid for 48K. So, our still pristine GX, albeit with some Ponderosa pinstripping, is now serving as my Ranch/Surf vehicle.

Though the LR3 and GX are competitors on paper, they are very different trucks. My wife really likes the LR3, but she was very much against parting with the GX entirely. I could not see leasing a new GX, as there is very little in the way of discernable differences between our 2003 and the 2007, and our family is such that we need a real third row.

The X5 was completely ruled out, as the third row is a marketing exercise, and its lease rates are comparable to Cayenne S's and Range Rover Sport's.

How do you like the LR3 driving fun factor and ride? I think our wives aren't as particular and like the smooth ride over stiffer handling than us men do. That is why my wife is perfectly content with the GX. Is the LR3 also more spacious on the inside? Thanks again.
Old 01-15-07, 11:53 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
GM, Ford and Chrysler hook a lot of unknowing people when they give rebates of $10,000 off on the iron that they make. Like I said above, when it comes time to trade or sell, they take a hosing. It's a never ending cycle.
I still think this is a good deal for the majority of Americans. Even if those vehicles were originally overprice with the addition of those incentives you could get a comparable vehicle vs and import at a great price. Sure resale on a GM / Ford vehicle would suck, but if you get what you want out of the vehicle for the long term, then it may have been worth it. Sure American reliability is not as good as Japanese, but it's much better than in the old days.

I am optimistic about going back to buying American, since they started the full size SUV revolution and have the best offerrings in terms of size and amenities compared to the imports. The same size truck by Lexus, Land Rover, MB, BMW would have more prestige but costs thousands of dollars more. Lexus's only full size SUV offerring is the LX and that is around $70K!? Why spend that premium when you can get a more powerful, similar in size & fully loaded Yukon for $45K, Yukon Denali for $50K and nicely equipped Escalade for $60K?

Of course my first preference is the new BMW X5 with Sport Package, but it's too small for my needs & the new 3rd row is not a true 3rd row.
Old 01-16-07, 07:01 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I still think this is a good deal for the majority of Americans. Even if those vehicles were originally overprice with the addition of those incentives you could get a comparable vehicle vs and import at a great price. Sure resale on a GM / Ford vehicle would suck, but if you get what you want out of the vehicle for the long term, then it may have been worth it. Sure American reliability is not as good as Japanese, but it's much better than in the old days.

I am optimistic about going back to buying American, since they started the full size SUV revolution and have the best offerrings in terms of size and amenities compared to the imports. The same size truck by Lexus, Land Rover, MB, BMW would have more prestige but costs thousands of dollars more. Lexus's only full size SUV offerring is the LX and that is around $70K!? Why spend that premium when you can get a more powerful, similar in size & fully loaded Yukon for $45K, Yukon Denali for $50K and nicely equipped Escalade for $60K?

Of course my first preference is the new BMW X5 with Sport Package, but it's too small for my needs & the new 3rd row is not a true 3rd row.
Get a Escalade. I think you should be OK with the 6.0 liter and the Escalade should keep its value more then the Denali because of all of the Rapper/hiphop generation wanting one. Unless you are a real car nut I don't think you would know the difference between the superior design and execution of the LX470. Let us know what you get. Good luck.
Old 01-16-07, 10:06 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

The LR3 is a very different truck. I would actually say the ride is smoother than the GX's, and has much less of a proclivity to bottom-out to the bumpstops in the rear. This may be unique to the 2003, as my father in-law's 2005 does not seem to have the same rear suspension issues.(?) The LR3 also drives a lot bigger, though it is within a few inches of the GX in dimensions, and does weighs about 1K pounds more-and feels like it. That said it handles very well for a big truck.

Inside room is no comparison. The second and third row seats have far more leg room than the GX, especially the third, which is actually fine for adults. Cargo space is phenomenal. My wife says she does not pack when going to Costco, she just throws it all in. The seats all fold flat-which is nice. Albeit, the seats are a royal pain and take considerable strength to fold and configure.

Interior wise, the GX is much nicer, as there is a lot of industrial strength plastic in the LR3. Nothing like its Range Rover siblings. The LR3 feels like a British farm implement that someone through leather seats into. Albeit, with the Land Rover full length rubber mats and rear seat covers, it does seem impervious to the thrashings of my 3 and 6 year old boys. The DVD entertainments system is very good also.

My wife loves the Range Rover Sport, whose interior is completely different, and actually better than the GX's; but it has less room inside than my old 2005 Subaru Outback. Hence, it would never work.
Old 01-16-07, 12:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rovers are nice if you are leasing or dont plan to keep the car past warrenty. A second car is a must, and you better get to know your service manager real good, cus you will be spending alot of time there. I also heard from a friend of mine that the rover sales people are as good as Lexus but the Rover service department is worst than Toyota's.
Old 01-16-07, 01:32 PM
bgsntth
Rookie

Agree G Man,

The price of character. The combination of the capability/utility of the vehicle, price, the Land Rover dealer being on my commute route, it being a lease, and the fact that we are keeping the GX made it worth the risk.

At the time I leased it, after all the LRNA promotions were combined, an LR3 V8 SE with third-row, cold-climate package, xenons, Bluetooth, could be had for zero drive-off and $549 (pre-tax) for 30 months/10.5K miles per year.
Old 01-16-07, 03:59 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Agree G Man,

The price of character. The combination of the capability/utility of the vehicle, price, the Land Rover dealer being on my commute route, it being a lease, and the fact that we are keeping the GX made it worth the risk.

At the time I leased it, after all the LRNA promotions were combined, an LR3 V8 SE with third-row, cold-climate package, xenons, Bluetooth, could be had for zero drive-off and $549 (pre-tax) for 30 months/10.5K miles per year.
Great post, I think many of us get into the thought process where we just think this vehicle is higher quality then that one so if you don't get the one I like you made a bad decision. In reality many factors go into a good decision as you have illustrated.

Quick Reply: '07 bmw x5 or gx or upcoming jx?