GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Another Bluetooth question!! Re: Volume...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 11:07 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Bluetooth question!! Re: Volume...

I been getting complaints from people that they can't hear my voice very well...
I tested it yesterday... sounds like I'm far away from the microphone!!
I checked the manual and no mention of controling my voice volume??
Maybe microphone positions off on my GX??
Is there something I can do myself? Or, is this something I need to take it to the dealer again??
Old 09-21-06, 12:10 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hsk73
I been getting complaints from people that they can't hear my voice very well...
I tested it yesterday... sounds like I'm far away from the microphone!!
I checked the manual and no mention of controling my voice volume??
Maybe microphone positions off on my GX??
Is there something I can do myself? Or, is this something I need to take it to the dealer again??
Turn car on but don't start.
Turn lights to 'off' position.
Hold 'INFO' on the NAV unit while turning the park lights on and off 3 times.
Should take you to a service menu.
Push 'Menu' on the display screen
Push 'BT Voice Quality' on bottom of display screen
Adjust volume and etc. as needed.
Exit
Turn car off to get out of menu.

CV
Old 09-21-06, 12:32 PM
peterh
Rookie

BT quality is also very dependent on your phone. I have 3 different phones and each one sounds different. My newest (Cingular 3215) so far has the best quality. My older Moto mpx220 was very quiet and sounded as you describe. Careful on the service menu adjustmetns and any small change will make huge sound differences. I played with these adjustements for an hour with making test calls and found I could only change the level by "1" in either direction and still have the person on the other end understand me.

Not all BT is created equally unfortunately...
Old 09-22-06, 07:52 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Turn car on but don't start.
Turn lights to 'off' position.
Hold 'INFO' on the NAV unit while turning the park lights on and off 3 times.
Should take you to a service menu.
Push 'Menu' on the display screen
Push 'BT Voice Quality' on bottom of display screen
Adjust volume and etc. as needed.
Exit
Turn car off to get out of menu.

CV
Hi CVsGX470,

What is the recommended level to be adjusted from this BT menu? I have adjusted to "+2" this morning, but have yet to try it. Appreciate your inputs. Thank you.
Old 09-22-06, 09:33 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joel888
Hi CVsGX470,

What is the recommended level to be adjusted from this BT menu? I have adjusted to "+2" this morning, but have yet to try it. Appreciate your inputs. Thank you.
Hi Joel

I don't know of the any recommended setting. I would just test it out and have someone talk to you. Good luck.

CV
Old 09-25-06, 08:12 AM
Joel888
Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Hi Joel

I don't know of the any recommended setting. I would just test it out and have someone talk to you. Good luck.

CV
CV,

Thanks anyway. I've adjusted the incoming volume to "+1" and outgoing to "+2", so far so good.
Old 09-26-06, 07:57 PM
Joel888
Driver

CV,

Thanks anyway. I've adjusted the incoming volume to "+1" and outgoing to "+2", so far so good.
Guess I spoke too soon, I noticed since I adjusted the BT settings, when I make outgoing calls, the Lexus BT handsfree does not kick in. the phone and the car's BT are connected, but when the other end picks up, the handsfree does nothing. So essentially the recipient hangs up since I did not know they already picked up.

I've just reset the volumes back to zero, but still no good. Anyone know a fix? Thanks.
Old 09-27-06, 05:16 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Guess I spoke too soon, I noticed since I adjusted the BT settings, when I make outgoing calls, the Lexus BT handsfree does not kick in. the phone and the car's BT are connected, but when the other end picks up, the handsfree does nothing. So essentially the recipient hangs up since I did not know they already picked up.

I've just reset the volumes back to zero, but still no good. Anyone know a fix? Thanks.
That sounds like a phone problem, not a GX BT problem. I've always played with my volume and it works fine and better than when I bought her. Sometimes my phone will, "act up," and do the same thing you are describing. Also, if you reset your volume back to zero, it should go back to the factory default. I really don't think the BT volume has anything to do with what you are experiencing. Keep us updated.

CV
Old 09-27-06, 08:50 AM
Joel888
Driver

CV, I forgot to mention that when receiving incoming calls, the handsfree will kick in and act normal. It only happens when I make outgoing and when the other end picks up, I would not know it since the handsfree of Lexus does not mute the radio and "kicks in".

I will start a new BT connection again with the phone and handsfree, and delete the current profile/setting to see if this clear things up. BTW I already adjust the volume back to zero.
Old 09-27-06, 09:06 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

CV, I forgot to mention that when receiving incoming calls, the handsfree will kick in and act normal. It only happens when I make outgoing and when the other end picks up, I would not know it since the handsfree of Lexus does not mute the radio and "kicks in".

I will start a new BT connection again with the phone and handsfree, and delete the current profile/setting to see if this clear things up. BTW I already adjust the volume back to zero.
That's rather strange!

CV
Old 09-27-06, 11:19 AM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar issue with my wifes phone(LG K800 - chocolate phone). Everything worked fine when I recieved calls but when I tried to make calls nothing would happen. Funny thing was when I used my moto razr phone everything worked fine with both incoming and outgoing calls. So I was trying to figure this out for 3 days and finally I realized that on my wifes LG phone, which happens to be a slide style phone, the phone had to be slid open in order for the lexus BT system and the LG phone to communicate and make the outgoing calls. So we found the solution. But my moto razr phone worked with either the flip open or closed it didn't matter. So I think yes each individual phone has their kwirks. Good luck.

Last edited by Dr.2K; 09-27-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 02:55 PM
loflin
Pole Position

It is phone dependent.

My wife has stopped using the GX BT with her Moto phone.

Issue is, on a dial out, there is a delay between when the party answers and when they are connected to the car speakers.

So my wife dials, then silence, what was missed is the other party saying "Hello", the other party then hangs up.

This may not be your issue, Joel, but try this, dial out and then just start counting out loud, while your wife is listening on the house phone. See what number she hears. Then do the reverse, dial out again, but have her start counting out loud and see what number you start hearing.
Old 09-27-06, 03:07 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Originally Posted by loflin
It is phone dependent.

My wife has stopped using the GX BT with her Moto phone.

Issue is, on a dial out, there is a delay between when the party answers and when they are connected to the car speakers.

So my wife dials, then silence, what was missed is the other party saying "Hello", the other party then hangs up.

This may not be your issue, Joel, but try this, dial out and then just start counting out loud, while your wife is listening on the house phone. See what number she hears. Then do the reverse, dial out again, but have her start counting out loud and see what number you start hearing.
loflin, there is a rather quick fix for that as I have the same moto razr phone and have no issues with it. All you have to do is go into 'Settings'-->Car Settings and change the 'Auto Answer' to 5 seconds instead of 'off' or the default '2 sec'. By doing this I can hear the phone ring when I am placin g a call and when a incoming call is recieved. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 09-28-06, 11:22 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr.2K
loflin, there is a rather quick fix for that as I have the same moto razr phone and have no issues with it. All you have to do is go into 'Settings'-->Car Settings and change the 'Auto Answer' to 5 seconds instead of 'off' or the default '2 sec'. By doing this I can hear the phone ring when I am placin g a call and when a incoming call is recieved. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Doc, thx for the hint. She does NOT have the Razor, it's another Moto flip phone, but I'll look into the settings based on your input. Thanks!
Old 09-28-06, 01:53 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

No problem, hope it helps.