GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

why no powe-liftgate?..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 09:48 AM
rleggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy why no powe-liftgate?..

why o why did lexus put a swinging liftgate and not a power liftgate opening up on this great suv?....

are they planning on changing it?...
Old 09-15-06, 10:23 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

GX is an old generation car!!
Next model will come with Auto-liftgate for sure!!

But, I like cargo door more then the lift gate.
Although I wish the door came with stronger shock on it... so it doesn't swing open too easy....

Last edited by hsk73; 09-15-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 11:40 AM
rleggs
Rookie

Question 2008my gx..

any idea if the 2008my gx will have it?.....be bigger?..or is it the new jx?...
Old 09-15-06, 11:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The 4 runner's next re-design has been push back to 09 i believe. So expect the re-deisgn GX or re-name GX too come out soon after that.
Old 09-15-06, 12:46 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Next redesigned GX should be out in the fall of 08 as a 2009 model year. I'm sure it will have an auto lift tailgate. The current GX was designed in 2000-2001 and auto lift tailgates weren't common (if at all) back in those days. I've gotten used to the barn door, but there are times I wish it had a liftgate. But the rest of the vehicle is great so I overlook this feature.
Old 09-15-06, 02:34 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The barn door model was used to appease women. You will notice that it is really light and you don't have to be tall or reach up to pull the thing closed like in the 4Runner. Also, remember that the GX is a very TALL SUV. If it had a lift gate in it (automatic or not) it would hit the garage door. My 4Runner hits the door and the hinges on it are a lot lower than that of my GX.

CV
Old 09-15-06, 03:18 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rleggs
why o why did lexus put a swinging liftgate and not a power liftgate opening up on this great suv?....
3 words... Land Cruiser Prado.
When Toyota/Lexus decided to bring the vehicle over here as the GX470, it would have been unpopular and ugly (to some) to have the spare tire mounted on the rear door (as the Prado was designed with). so structurally the body has been made for a swing out door and changing that would not have been cost efficient.

however, i too wish we had a lift gate, or at least a roll down rear window.

dan
Old 09-15-06, 04:55 PM
rklages
Pole Position

sux - can't stand the thing - if they at least put a little hydraulic shock or something on it like the liftgate so it stopped falling shut against me constantly I would be less annoyed - the stupid lock thing is just lame - it should just stay open by itself - like a normal door - is that too much to ask?
Old 09-15-06, 04:59 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Driving me crazy too!!
And, I only had this car for 2 weeks now...

Originally Posted by rklages
sux - can't stand the thing - if they at least put a little hydraulic shock or something on it like the liftgate so it stopped falling shut against me constantly I would be less annoyed - the stupid lock thing is just lame - it should just stay open by itself - like a normal door - is that too much to ask?
Old 09-15-06, 05:09 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by purplehazek4
When Toyota/Lexus decided to bring the vehicle over here as the GX470, it would have been unpopular and ugly (to some) to have the spare tire mounted on the rear door (as the Prado was designed with). so structurally the body has been made for a swing out door and changing that would not have been cost efficient.

dan
I agree with you. There was too much Prado genes for having to change it. also, it would not be at all cost efficient for them to do it.

That being said, my parents have a 4runner and the rear door is somtimes annoying. I actually like the GX rear side hinged door.
Old 09-15-06, 05:10 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by purplehazek4

dan
True, but the Prado was designed a certain way as i have explained earlier. At least that is what my dealer told me.

CV
Old 09-15-06, 05:52 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nah, dealers can be very "know-it-all" and not know a thing. the GX and Prado are identical when it comes to the chassis, suspension, body (from the doors-->back) and most of the interior.

only main difference is the front end (which im willing to bet are interchangable), powerplant, drivetrain, some interior, and options.

dan
Old 09-15-06, 07:23 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
The barn door model was used to appease women. You will notice that it is really light and you don't have to be tall or reach up to pull the thing closed like in the 4Runner. Also, remember that the GX is a very TALL SUV. If it had a lift gate in it (automatic or not) it would hit the garage door. My 4Runner hits the door and the hinges on it are a lot lower than that of my GX.

CV
I'd agree with Purple's explanation. The barn door is not friendly to women. First of all, the Explorer was very popular with us Soccer Moms (or in my case, soccer/Girl Scout Leader/field hockey ), and it had a liftgate with a very handy easy lift back window opening for smaller items. I miss that little door even on my RX, which does have a power liftgate.

SUV back areas also make terrific baby changing tables, and the liftgate stays safely out of the way and provides a nice sun and rain shade. Later on, you can even picnic back there the same way. Nobody in their right mind would leave the GX back door open in a parking lot.

Thirdly, the stay open mechanism is a cruel joke. It is very crude, and the door slams shut on you if you don't use it (even in the supposed quarter open position unless the GX is on precisely level ground). I guarentee that if you showed it to a focus group of American women, they would have trouble using it and would hate it. I do, and I am an engineer and know how it works.

Lastly, the design is a disaster when trying get stuff out of a shopping cart, and a danger if you are trying to drop a kid off at school and they have stuff in the trunk and they have to open the door from the traffic side.

One of these days I will tell you how I really feel
Old 09-16-06, 08:23 AM
financedog
Driver School Candidate

I respectively disagree with SilverLady regarding the statement that the barn door is not friendly to women. My wife is 5'2" and loves the fact that the door is easy to open, unlike my former Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have seen many posts by you saying how much you dislike this design. I have no doubt that Lexus change the design next go around and you can buy a new one
Old 09-16-06, 01:56 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by financedog
I respectively disagree with SilverLady regarding the statement that the barn door is not friendly to women. My wife is 5'2" and loves the fact that the door is easy to open, unlike my former Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I have seen many posts by you saying how much you dislike this design. I have no doubt that Lexus change the design next go around and you can buy a new one

I agree. Silverlady certainly sounds like she hates the barn door. Seems to me she didn't do enough research on the GX before getting one. Maybe she should trade the GX and get a 4Runner?

Quick Reply: why no powe-liftgate?..