GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help installing Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 12:22 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help installing Spoiler

Does anyone have a template for the drilling holes for the spoiler?? I ordered one from Spoiler Depot.com and all they included was some screws and padding...
Old 08-25-06, 08:03 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you cant find a template, just go to teh dealer and open up the rear door to a GX with a spoiler, and take some pics of the bolt location.

dan
Old 08-25-06, 08:21 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

According to the "generic" instruction that spilerdepot.com has given me, i have to put on 4 screws that has very shart point and "mark" where it is going to be put on. THen i have to use a 1/4 inch drill and drill on the OUTSIDE of my 50k car... hahah well.. i have taken apart my E46 M3 bumpers and dash before.. i guess it isnt that scary.... but i a template would be very nice...
Old 08-25-06, 08:21 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one installed on mine about 2 months ago. It was an aftermarket unit and installed by a local shop. They said that this spoiler lined up with the factory holes. I didn't watch the install myself, but I thought there were some grommets on the back side of the door up top where the factory holes were?

Anyway, just throwing that out there.
Old 08-25-06, 09:08 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by kormaster
According to the "generic" instruction that spilerdepot.com has given me, i have to put on 4 screws that has very shart point and "mark" where it is going to be put on. THen i have to use a 1/4 inch drill and drill on the OUTSIDE of my 50k car... hahah well.. i have taken apart my E46 M3 bumpers and dash before.. i guess it isnt that scary.... but i a template would be very nice...
A trick a friend of mine showed me years ago was to put the screws in the spoiler and hold them in with tape or whatever... then put a small dollop of grease on the end of each screw... Hold the spoiler in position and push it gently against the vehicle... the grease on the screws will mark where you have to drill... the hard part is you have to line up your spoiler perfectly (level, etc. ) or it will be crooked... Hope this helps, but I agree with you, drilling into my car always gives me the heebie-jeebies... If you decide to go through with it, be sure to put some silicone on the screws so the holes are sealed up / prevent rust...
Old 08-25-06, 09:47 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a template for the drilling holes for the spoiler?? I ordered one from Spoiler Depot.com and all they included was some screws and padding...
Spoiler Depot provide me with plastic guides that I put into the spoiler screw holes.

With the guides in place I lined up the spoiler exactly where it would go on the door. Then I scotch-taped to the door, the base of the guides provided, then lifted the spoiler leaving the guides in place. Then with a tiny drill drilled small holes through the guides. Then removed the scotched taped guides and drilled I believe, 1/4 inch holes.

I was able to do it by myself, but recommend two people.

On the back side, I recommend scotch-taping the screws to the socket, to keep them from falling out of the socket and down into the door.

~ Cap
Old 08-26-06, 02:00 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Finally installed it. It was kinda nerve wrecking to drill holes. But everything was fine... actually, i do suggest two people doing this. SOmeone needs to tell you that it is lined up straight or not.

THere are two grommets you remove to reveal a big hole on the upper corners of the back of the trunk barn door. Spoiler depot gave me little POINTY screw to "make dimples" on the outside of the body. I only used two screws to secure this. Very sturdy!

I ran the wires to the rear brake light. I had to remove the uppder plastic casing to reveal the wires, and i just unravelled the electric tape, made a little incision on the wire to expose the copper wiring.... then i just wrapped around the wires.. and VOILA!!!! brake light works1!!!!!

I dont have the brake light cover but i dont care..... extra light doesnt hurt anyways.. doesnt bother me and i never see it.. only person behind me sees it and IF the car still cant stop on time and rear ends me... well.... at least i have him extra RED light to warn him more than any other cars out there.. heheh

Over quality is 7/10 Paint from spoilerdepot could have been better... but whatever... it's just a spoiler.. paint matches perfectly....

thanks everyone!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Help installing Spoiler-gx_spoiler_2.jpg  
Old 08-26-06, 04:19 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have the brake light cover but i dont care..... extra light doesnt hurt anyways.. doesnt bother me and i never see it.. only person behind me sees it and IF the car still cant stop on time and rear ends me... well.... at least i have him extra RED light to warn him more than any other cars out there..
Kormaster.....

I know you can't see it, but from behind, the original third light when it lights up in conjunction with the Spoiler's LED light, looks tacky.

It's a simple matter to just clip the wire that goes to the original light at the point where you made the splice.

~ Cap
Old 08-26-06, 09:12 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

The spoiler I bought included a piece of plastice cut to the dimensions of the existing 3rd brake light (it was nice that they actually painted one side to match but this may not be all that necessary) and they just stuck it over the 3rd light with 2-sided tape. So far, it's still sticking on with no problems.
Old 08-26-06, 05:31 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Capirato
Kormaster.....

I know you can't see it, but from behind, the original third light when it lights up in conjunction with the Spoiler's LED light, looks tacky.

It's a simple matter to just clip the wire that goes to the original light at the point where you made the splice.

~ Cap

Does it look that tacky?? really??? hmm ok.. i can just disconnect the wires.. no problem... ill try it and see if anyone thinks that i look HOTTER in the car..
Old 08-26-06, 05:34 PM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by llcc1975
The spoiler I bought included a piece of plastice cut to the dimensions of the existing 3rd brake light (it was nice that they actually painted one side to match but this may not be all that necessary) and they just stuck it over the 3rd light with 2-sided tape. So far, it's still sticking on with no problems.
Ya.. i didnt get the 3rd light brake cover with the company i ordered from. When i called them and asked.. they said...

"No it is safer to have more light in he back for the cars behind you"

I was like.."Sure.... that's why Lexus OEM does have one if spoiler is installed"

He couldnt say much more... I wasnt trying to be a jerk or anything but there just isnt an explanation why they dont provide it. It really doesnt matter to me....
Old 08-26-06, 06:52 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Ya.. i didnt get the 3rd light brake cover with the company i ordered from. When i called them and asked.. they said...

"No it is safer to have more light in he back for the cars behind you"

I was like.."Sure.... that's why Lexus OEM does have one if spoiler is installed"

He couldnt say much more... I wasnt trying to be a jerk or anything but there just isnt an explanation why they dont provide it. It really doesnt matter to me....
Maybe your call prompted them to change their future business practices to include such a cover . . . . . . yeah right.

To be honest, when I ordered mine, I wasn't expecting that cover at all, I thought I was going to have two brake lights too b/c the installer refused to disconnect my factory light "due to legal ramifications." It was just a nice surprise to get the cover.

In any event, I think your spoiler looks very nice and OEM.
Old 08-27-06, 10:28 AM
kormaster
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Maybe your call prompted them to change their future business practices to include such a cover . . . . . . yeah right.

To be honest, when I ordered mine, I wasn't expecting that cover at all, I thought I was going to have two brake lights too b/c the installer refused to disconnect my factory light "due to legal ramifications." It was just a nice surprise to get the cover.

In any event, I think your spoiler looks very nice and OEM.

Thank you!!! Now i need to search for upgrading my wheels to 20 inch. NOthing big but something a litle bigger than oem to fill in the wheel gap
Old 08-27-06, 02:16 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Thank you!!! Now i need to search for upgrading my wheels to 20 inch. NOthing big but something a litle bigger than oem to fill in the wheel gap
I'm on the fence about wheels too. We just sold an 04 suburban and I had 22" on those. It needed it b/c of the size of the vehicle. I want some wheels on the GX but can't decide if I want 20" or this 18" OEM 4Runner wheels that some of the guys on here recently bought.
Old 08-27-06, 02:32 PM
mkool
Rookie

It make me thinkin, if I can find a custom wheel shop..I'm gonna ask them copy of Toyota 4Runner 18' rim design and make it 20'. Then chrome it. That would be cool too. I know this may cost alot.

Quick Reply: Help installing Spoiler