GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

No Bluetooth Phone ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 11:04 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Bluetooth Phone ring

Greetings all,

I 've been using a Sony Ericsson phone, w600i for several months and it generally works good. Occasionally it drops the GX and this seeme to be an issue with the phone not the GX.

Recently I was driving without any music playing and just happened to look at the dark nav screen and realized I had an incoming call. By the time pressed the phone button they hung up. This happened again last week and I realized there is no phone ring or other alert when a call comes in, only the stereo mutes, which is great when listening to music. I often drive in silence and finally understand that friends have said they called me but got no answer. The nav book says the phone should ring through the speakers but that's not happening. The dealer says it's a phone issue, but also agrees that they don't really understand the whole bluetooth thing. heck, bluetooth's been on my Apple Macs for 6 years or so.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Rick in Atlanta
Old 08-21-06, 11:29 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time that I have ever experienced this is when the phone is on vibrate.
CV
Old 08-21-06, 11:40 AM
abaazov
Driver School Candidate

Rick, i have the exact same phone, and while i have only had the car for a week, i have had no connectivity issues with the bluetooth. the phone is answered, calls are made, ring tone is heard, all without a hitch. you should check to see your phone settings first.
i do have a problem though with the same phone and my bluetooth. for some reason i cannot upload the phone book from my phone to the car. has anyone else had this problem?

amnon
Old 08-21-06, 02:17 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by abaazov
Rick, i have the exact same phone, and while i have only had the car for a week, i have had no connectivity issues with the bluetooth. the phone is answered, calls are made, ring tone is heard, all without a hitch. you should check to see your phone settings first.
i do have a problem though with the same phone and my bluetooth. for some reason i cannot upload the phone book from my phone to the car. has anyone else had this problem?

amnon
This is a common problem...try a search.

CV
Old 08-22-06, 04:38 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Hey CV,

I did several searches, the most current info I could find was from 2004.

Rick
Old 08-22-06, 05:54 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXRick
Hey CV,

I did several searches, the most current info I could find was from 2004.

Rick
Rick

No problem. Anyway, the phonebook upload problem has been a pain in the **** for all of us for some time. Some network providers do not allow it. I use Verizon and it won't allow you to upload a phone book. Here is some info from the Lexus website:

http://lexusbluetooth.letstalk.com/p...iew=1&model=GX

CV
Old 08-22-06, 10:21 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Default The problem is your phone is on vibrate

Greetings all,

I 've been using a Sony Ericsson phone, w600i for several months and it generally works good. Occasionally it drops the GX and this seeme to be an issue with the phone not the GX.

Recently I was driving without any music playing and just happened to look at the dark nav screen and realized I had an incoming call. By the time pressed the phone button they hung up. This happened again last week and I realized there is no phone ring or other alert when a call comes in, only the stereo mutes, which is great when listening to music. I often drive in silence and finally understand that friends have said they called me but got no answer. The nav book says the phone should ring through the speakers but that's not happening. The dealer says it's a phone issue, but also agrees that they don't really understand the whole bluetooth thing. heck, bluetooth's been on my Apple Macs for 6 years or so.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Rick in Atlanta
I believe the problem is your phone is on vibrate because the exact thing has happened to me and everytime the phone is on vibrate.
Old 08-23-06, 06:43 AM
GXRick
Driver School Candidate

Default Still No GX Ring

Hey, This is Rick in Atlanta who started this thread. I did turn OFF the Vibrating ring function on my phone. Now when the phone is synced with the GX, the phone does ring but no sound comes through the speakers. I tried turning the stereo on with the volume way down, no difference. But at least the phone itself now rings, so if I'm driving along in silence, I'll hear it.

Thanks to all

Rick in Atlanta
Old 08-23-06, 07:31 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, This is Rick in Atlanta who started this thread. I did turn OFF the Vibrating ring function on my phone. Now when the phone is synced with the GX, the phone does ring but no sound comes through the speakers. I tried turning the stereo on with the volume way down, no difference. But at least the phone itself now rings, so if I'm driving along in silence, I'll hear it.

Thanks to all

Rick in Atlanta
Glad to hear that. I don't recall if my phone rings through the speakers either. Hmmmm

CV
Old 08-23-06, 11:26 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

I would check with your service department. It should ring thru the speakers just like you talk thru them once a call comes in. That is the whole point of integrated bluetooth. I would have them do it for you with your phone. Check the settings as well in your Lexus phone system handsfree menu and make sure nothing weird has been turned on or off.
Old 08-23-06, 12:29 PM
peterh
Rookie

Unfortunatley there does not seem to be a "unviversal bluetooth standard" Some phones work better than others when paired. In our GX, using my motorola mpx220, the car does not ring - the phone rings, but not the car. When using a t-mobile SDA, the car does ring in the speakers. Basically, not all bluetooth is created equal.

For those that use a microsoft smartphone or pocketpc phone, you may want to look at jetwaremobile.com. They have a bluetooth program that seems to improve the compatability of these phones with OEM car systems. I have used it on both my GX and Audi and get much better sound quality and integration of features. The program basically fills in what Microsoft left out to work better with car systems.
Old 08-27-06, 11:04 AM
rtanouye
Driver School Candidate

I was doing some research on BT phones and discovered that Lexus acknowledges that not all BT phones will ring through the GX speakers. See attached that I cut from a selected phone list of features:

Ringing heard through the vehicle's audio system when receiving incoming handsfree calls: No

Lexus does not list Ericsson phones, but your problem is probably because of this issue. You can access this link to check compatibility of other phones.

http://www.lexus.com/models/bluetoot...X&s_ocid=20515
Old 09-04-06, 11:38 AM
luckylex
Rookie

I have never had problems using the my treo 650 and GX Bluetooth, loading phone book, etc., but is has never rang through the system. Only the phone. However, if you have the stereo on, that shuts down, which is the first indicator that you have a call coming in if your phone ringer is off.

Old 11-15-06, 04:45 PM
dgboggs
Driver School Candidate

Interestingly, my Razor (Verizon) USED to ring through, and suddenly just stopped. I am stumped- I've spent like an hour experimenting with settings to no avail....
Old 11-15-06, 06:48 PM
Dr.2K
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgboggs
Interestingly, my Razor (Verizon) USED to ring through, and suddenly just stopped. I am stumped- I've spent like an hour experimenting with settings to no avail....
Make sure you set the answering time to 5 or more seconds instead of the default 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: No Bluetooth Phone ring