GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Installed the Coastal "Ultimate Lockpick" today w/ many pics, but need help posting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 07:34 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty

Any issues if the dealer sees the I agree screen bypassed - is there a toggle?
Old 04-17-10, 05:00 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

i'm a day late and a buck short but thanks for the info and pics!

i recently got an 06 GX470 and did some searching for a guide to disassemble the center console so i could install my lockpick 1 and google led me here.

initially my install went quite nicely but in my hurry to get it in and reassembled i ended up pinching a wire or something and blew the 20 amp fuse.....as a result i took it apart again and ended up breaking the wood trim on the driver's side. i repaired it with a product called JB Weld and it doesn't look half bad but i still ended up ordering the piece on ebay for $180.

here's a pic of the almost finished job with my repairs. not bad considering i haven't done anything like this in close to 20 years

i wasn't sure if the ultimate lockpick 3+ would work on my vehicle so i went the one mentioned in this thread. next i have to figure out why the glove compartment mounted cd changer doesn't work. it gets power, discs are properly loaded into it but it refuses to work. i'm sure if i search these forums i'll find the answers i'm looking for.

Last edited by LZMF1; 04-17-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-04-10, 01:02 AM
MrWizard
Driver School Candidate

Hey LZMF1,

Did you ever get the CD Changer to work? I can't tell if this is by design and the LockPick replaces the CD Changer vs augments it. Sent CoastalETech email and hope they reply, they've been great so far.

Overall install was pretty straight forward, thanks to the pics and advice on this forum.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 06-04-10, 12:59 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWizard
Did you ever get the CD Changer to work? I can't tell if this is by design and the LockPick replaces the CD Changer vs augments it. Sent CoastalETech email and hope they reply, they've been great so far.
The lockpick should not affect your CD changer.

I had the lockpick in my 2006 GX and all of the audio functions worked as normal.
Old 06-05-10, 12:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice and BIG PICS-just the way I like 'em. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-10, 01:35 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrWizard
Hey LZMF1,

Overall install was pretty straight forward, thanks to the pics and advice on this forum.

Thanks,
Jeff
nah, still no dice. :-(

i the previous owner had a sirius unit installed and that messed up the cd changer(i think, not really sure). i have multiple XM accounts and 1 sirius (silly because they're now the same company). i removed the sirius unit and put my XM roady XT in and used the sirius antenna.

as i stated in an earlier post the cd changer does get power because you can hear it shuffling through the discs when you put the cd magazine(cartridge) in i just get no sound nor can i even switch discs from the head unit. i don't get it

eventually i'll figure it out
Old 06-26-10, 08:04 AM
dookie
Driver School Candidate

will this work on the 05?
Old 06-28-10, 08:03 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

hey dookie, yes a lockpick 1 will work in your vehicle
Old 07-14-10, 11:47 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

so after reading up on the sirius SC1 i found out that after installing this the factory installed CD changer would no longer work. i uninstalled the SC1 and the FM Direct Adapter my cd changer still isn't playing anything. this is getting frustrating. will try a few more options before i give up on it.

Last edited by LZMF1; 07-14-10 at 11:47 AM. Reason: awful spelling
Old 09-23-10, 05:25 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Almost 4 years later and I see this is still being looked at!

Kinda cool. About the only thing I would change off the top of my head is to use dedicated plastic trim popping tools instead of tape coated tools. Much safer. See here:

http://www.etoolcart.com/doorpanelre...5pcst9007.aspx

The brand is "Sir John", but this looks like a clone:

http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-4505.aspx

Nice to see this still gets some air time almost 4 years later!
Old 09-23-10, 06:17 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

LOL! yes indeed....google led me here and i've been posting away since coming here.

also, you mentioned the trim popping tools....luckily my cousin has 'em all and lives 5 minutes away from me. i always have access to them!
Old 09-24-10, 04:15 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, for all the members who installed the ultimate lockpick on their vehicle, are the benefits of the ultimate lockpick worth it?
Old 09-24-10, 06:07 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

i think so. if i'm driving and absolutely have to use the worthless nav system i can do so without stopping....putting the car into park and pulling up the e-brake. i can use the touch screen to make calls without going through the same process i just described. i don't have to hit the "I Agree" button on the screen. plus as an added bonus: if one of my kids is watching a DVD on the dropdown DVD player i can easily connect an external DVD player and hook it up to be displayed on the NAV screen.

it is a bit on the pricey side but i'm getting every penny's worth out of it.

in response to GGGXXX: you can disable it.

Last edited by LZMF1; 09-24-10 at 06:09 AM. Reason: a reply to GGGXXX's question too
Old 09-24-10, 06:17 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Glad you found this useful. Was everything clear enough?

Originally Posted by LZMF1
LOL! yes indeed....google led me here and i've been posting away since coming here.

also, you mentioned the trim popping tools....luckily my cousin has 'em all and lives 5 minutes away from me. i always have access to them!
I'd all but forgotten this, but saw the pics when I went to photobucket to post pics for a motorcycle project & saw these. I totally forgot I even had an account until it reminded me! Thought I'd update when I remembered the trim tools. Much safer.

Hope this write up was useful and easy to follow. I try to be meticulous and always appreciated when someone else took the time, so this was my way of paying back. I've still got way more pics than these here, but never posted them all.

I've since gone back to BMW and view my brief foray into an SUV as an odd aberration, although I'm am eyeing the new Jeep Grand Cherokee for my wife in a few years when her Sienna is up for replacement. Got an '08 335xi now and '11 on the way. That car is almost impossible to do much with. WAY too complicated!

Got a real blast looking here
Old 09-24-10, 08:26 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LZMF1
i think so. if i'm driving and absolutely have to use the worthless nav system i can do so without stopping....putting the car into park and pulling up the e-brake. i can use the touch screen to make calls without going through the same process i just described. i don't have to hit the "I Agree" button on the screen. plus as an added bonus: if one of my kids is watching a DVD on the dropdown DVD player i can easily connect an external DVD player and hook it up to be displayed on the NAV screen.

it is a bit on the pricey side but i'm getting every penny's worth out of it.

in response to GGGXXX: you can disable it.
LZMF1,
Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Installed the Coastal "Ultimate Lockpick" today w/ many pics, but need help posting.