GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Doors auto locking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-06, 05:16 PM
crnmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Doors auto locking

Is there a way to disable the doors from auto locking( after about ten minutes from shutting the vehicle off) ? It drives us crazy to keep unlocking the vehicle in the driveway so the kids can get in.
Old 07-23-06, 07:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

My 06 GX can sit for a week and the doors will not automatically lock by themselves. They will only lock if I use the remote or the front door power lock switch.
Old 07-23-06, 10:25 PM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Default May have to check with Dealer

According to some of the documentation that came with my GX, this is something that the dealer can "customize" to your preferences. They could possibly charge you for it though which I think is just ridiculous. I haven't found a way to program it myself even though most cars enable the owners themselves to program these things.
Old 07-24-06, 05:39 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not a typical feature. It's more likely that you're hitting the button on the remote by accident. If you hit "Lock", it will. If you hit "Unlock" and don't open a door within 30 seconds, it will also lock the doors.
Old 07-24-06, 09:25 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Auto Lock only happens if ....

Originally Posted by crnmd
Is there a way to disable the doors from auto locking( after about ten minutes from shutting the vehicle off) ? It drives us crazy to keep unlocking the vehicle in the driveway so the kids can get in.
I think if you unluck the truck with the remote, you must open and close one/any of the doors. If you do not open a door in a short time, the vehicle programming thinks the vehicle was "accidentally" unlocked and will re-lock the truck. Opening a door and shutting it will inhibit the re-locking of the truck. I don't think that defeating this feature is part of the customizable features. A customizable feature would be the unlocking one door or all doors with remote, or auto-locking when you put the truck in drive.
Old 07-24-06, 10:40 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

I leave my 06GX in the garage unlocked all the time - I've never had the doors lock by themselves.

I believe different years had different "defaults" for settings - you can check the customizable settings for your year in the manual to see if that is one of the options.
Old 07-24-06, 05:37 PM
W8MM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcc1975
According to some of the documentation that came with my GX, this is something that the dealer can "customize" to your preferences.
Pay attention to this poster.

He knows of what he speaks!
Old 07-25-06, 08:42 AM
bigL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llcc1975
According to some of the documentation that came with my GX, this is something that the dealer can "customize" to your preferences. They could possibly charge you for it though which I think is just ridiculous. I haven't found a way to program it myself even though most cars enable the owners themselves to program these things.
Yes it can be changed by the dealer and NO there is no charge.
Old 07-25-06, 09:49 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Default OK ... EVERYBODY re-read the original POST

Originally Posted by W8MM
Pay attention to this poster.

He knows of what he speaks!
I think you need to re-evalulate your comment. If you re-read the original post (although I am may be mis-reading it). The person asks about stoping the auto-lock feature after he has turned his car off. Not about any other time. Perhaps this original poster could repost to clarify his question.

With the above said, that issue is NOT a customizable feature. What part of this list does not clarify that:

http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/w...ectionForm.pdf

and, NO this is not limited to a particular model year, I have a 2004 and it had all these same customizable features.

Also, the dealerships is obligate to only ONE customization request. The others are CHARGED. They may do it Gratis, but that would be up to the dealership.
Old 07-25-06, 10:39 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I think you need to re-evalulate your comment. If you re-read the original post (although I am may be mis-reading it). The person asks about stoping the auto-lock feature after he has turned his car off. Not about any other time. Perhaps this original poster could repost to clarify his question.

With the above said, that issue is NOT a customizable feature. What part of this list does not clarify that:

http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/w...ectionForm.pdf

and, NO this is not limited to a particular model year, I have a 2004 and it had all these same customizable features.

Also, the dealerships is obligate to only ONE customization request. The others are CHARGED. They may do it Gratis, but that would be up to the dealership.
I may have to recant my earlier comment. After reading the PDF that ADVocate linked and reading the documentation from my GX again, it would appear that Crnmd's description of what is happening is not part of the customizable door lock features. I can only surmise that this is either a hidden function, is due to user actions, or is the result of electrical gremlins. Wouldn't hurt to call up the dealer and ask them their opinion in my view. My $.02.
Old 07-27-06, 06:22 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ADVocate
For the 06, and I assume for previous years, the one freebie has to take place within the first 12 months, too.