GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

94 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-06, 08:57 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To quote the owners manual of a 2006 GX470:
Fuel Selection:
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (RON 96) or higher for optimum engine performance. However, if such premium type cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (RON 91).
To quote the sticker on the inside of the gas filler door:
PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY
*SEE OWNERS MANUAL
ok if the new GX manual says Premium only... then obviously u follow the manual as the website suggested... but wesbite explains that even in case of a car manufacture recommending Higher octane.. u can get away with putting midgrade as long as the engine doesn't knock..

Just for kicks, I stopped by 3 different gas stations today. An Exxon, Chevron and Shell. I asked them if they had seperate underground tanks for the mid-grade, and they all did.

thats bull.. coz EXXOn i have personally called.. and i'm talking about central head office not just a station... so rite away i caught you lying.. please don't do that on this forum .. your misguiding lot of people to just proove ur weird arguments.

There is no alignment adjustment whatsoever for the rear axle of the GX470.

i sent you the website. GX needs 4 wheel alignment typeii where the alignment is done for the rear.. but the adjustments are done from the front.. its not a two wheel alignment. an easy google search or ur local lexus dealership should explain it to you.

I'm done explainin. my information was for general people.. people who r smart and can make couple of calls and references would know now what to do...

Take care.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-06, 09:11 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey guys

CVsGX470 - as i said earlier you were right about mid grade coming from mixing the higher and lower octane at the pump itself. just to be sure i went online read on edmunds(an interview with someone) about it and made a quick call to ESSo/EXXON. so i knew you were right

The G Man - hey.. i just did my own research from lots of websites.. (u can google it) and foung out not just from the FTA website but lot of other websites that higher octane fuels other then ANTIKNOCK or having better ignition timing doesn't have any other benefits.
Engine prolly feels clean/smooth may be coz of the addictives alone.. which can be seperately put.. ($2-3 STP is a good brand. one bottle per tank lasts you 8 next fill ups). I'm not sure about the new GX's but the old ones should drive fine with the midgrade. People can easy save about $5-9 per tank.. i know its not alot of money but then if its not alot.. why lot of people get upset when guess goes up as little as 5 cents... coz thats only gonna make a diff of $4 on a gas tank.

Again guys everyone can fill up whatever they choose to... i was just trying to put the info out there... as suggested by lot of people across the continent and not just coz of my own to win arguments. great summer ahead guys... happy drivin!
Old 06-08-06, 09:37 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sayadil
CVsGX470 - as i said earlier you were right about mid grade coming from mixing the higher and lower octane at the pump itself. just to be sure i went online read on edmunds(an interview with someone) about it and made a quick call to ESSo/EXXON. so i knew you were right

The G Man - hey.. i just did my own research from lots of websites.. (u can google it) and foung out not just from the FTA website but lot of other websites that higher octane fuels other then ANTIKNOCK or having better ignition timing doesn't have any other benefits.
Engine prolly feels clean/smooth may be coz of the addictives alone.. which can be seperately put.. ($2-3 STP is a good brand. one bottle per tank lasts you 8 next fill ups). I'm not sure about the new GX's but the old ones should drive fine with the midgrade. People can easy save about $5-9 per tank.. i know its not alot of money but then if its not alot.. why lot of people get upset when guess goes up as little as 5 cents... coz thats only gonna make a diff of $4 on a gas tank.

Again guys everyone can fill up whatever they choose to... i was just trying to put the info out there... as suggested by lot of people across the continent and not just coz of my own to win arguments. great summer ahead guys... happy drivin!
well said.

CV
Old 06-08-06, 11:36 AM
trebien
Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Dude if you stopped at 3 different stations to ask about their tanks, you have absolutely too much time on your hands or you are full of doo doo. You poke fun at my buddy for being a "custodial engineer," but you rely on information about the structure of the pumping system from the guy who sells beer/coffee and smokes at your local BP. Give me a break...
It was more out of curiosity than anything, and it's my right to do so. Excuse the hell out of me fora actually trying to find out some accurate information on the subject, rather than making up bullguano and talking out of my ****. Also, one was a family-run station... it was the owner behind the counter. Another was the owner, because I've talked to him before. I don't know about the Exxon - probably just a manager.

I never made blanket statements like "ALL gas stations have seperate tanks". What I said was that it is typical construction, and also I was open to the possibility that this has changed for some new construction or companies. At least I am open to other options, unlike some people.

What gets me is the mis-information and BAD advice. Even though sayadil quotes an article at Edmunds, he changes the quote to support his arguement:

Edmunds quote (link - paragraph 13): "Interestingly, Mazor noted that at some gas stations, there are only two grades of gas. However, they blend the regular and premium at the pump to produce the mid-grade gasoline. This allows them to have only two underground tanks for the gas storage."

sayadil changes it to: "Interestingly, Mazor noted that at most gas stations, there are only two grades of gas..."

Who's lying? And then draws an inaccurate conclusion: "edmunds (a well reputed website) mentions MOST stations.. so for most pumps they mix it at the pump"

sayadil says "Putting in higher octane is a total waste of money." - not true

"so suggest putting in midgrade to everyone" - bad advice for 2005+ GXs

"It clearly says to follow owners manual.. which clearly states that GX engine is designed to handle 87 and above. " - not true

"putting in higher octane is a waste of money" - again, not true

"so putting in higher octane in gx is a waste of money as it will not give you any other benefit" - not true

"edmunds (a well reputed website) mentions MOST stations.. so for most pumps they mix it at the pump" - not true, and not what Edmund's said

"putting in higher octane for the sake of addictves is as dumb as ur argument" - sorry, CVGX470 - you're as dumb as my arguement. Especialy when a tank of premium will cost about $4 more, and a little bottle of additive costs about... oh... $4 more.

"we r talking about GX in specific and the technology advancement related to GX... as of now GX engine is still designed with 87 in mind " - no, it's not, and hasn't been since the 2005 model year

"Your wasting your time on this forum and misguiding people" - now THAT'S rich

"my point (as the title of the forum) was to tell people not to waste thier money putting in higher octane fuels rather then midgrade in GX 470. " - Exactly. Which is bad advice for 2005+ GXs, which is what I (and others) have said all along. Previous model years will work fine on 87. But not the newer models with their increased compression and advanced timing.

Old 06-08-06, 06:45 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Hey trebien pls read this carefully as i can't go over n over the same thing with you... i keep on educating you on something and u bring your useless arguments forward.

QUOTE=trebien]It was more out of curiosity than anything, and it's my right to do so. Excuse the hell out of me fora actually trying to find out some accurate information on the subject, rather than making up bullguano and talking out of my ****. Also, one was a family-run station... it was the owner behind the counter. Another was the owner, because I've talked to him before. I don't know about the Exxon - probably just a manager.

As CvGX470 said you have more then enough time to do this kinda research. And your research is incorrect coz i just confirmed with shell and petro canada (on the phone btw) both follow the same procedure and according to them they don't think any company sends Pre mixed Mid Grade.. so i guess u are actually bringing info out of your ****...

What gets me is the mis-information and BAD advice. Even though sayadil quotes an article at Edmunds, he changes the quote to support his arguement:

well i dint copy n paste the statement like you.. i was reading through lot of websites not just edmunds and dint remember word to word of the statement.. but fact still remains that its mixed at the pump...

well like the fta website clearly states that higher octane has no benifit meaning waste of money.

well if you did your reading then u should know the website clearly mentions that even cars where Premium is recomemeded and the car can handle lower octane... u can put lower octane as long as it doesn't knock and if it doesn't knock you r fine. you will save 100's dollars over the year.

"It clearly says to follow owners manual.. which clearly states that GX engine is designed to handle 87 and above. " - not true

well if the 2005 owners manual says that you can put 87 where premium not found means clearly it can handle 87 and above... meaning two things... 1st - that you can put 87 as long as it doesn't give knocking (only 9% of total cases report problems after switchin to lower octane according to the website)
2nd - Your english reading skills are poor... leading me to believe your prolly a fresh immigrant.

""putting in higher octane for the sake of addictves is as dumb as ur argument" - sorry, CVGX470 - you're as dumb as my arguement. Especialy when a tank of premium will cost about $4 more, and a little bottle of additive costs about... oh... $4 more.

First of all Good to know... you atleast agree your statment was dumb.. secondly the statement was made by me and your blaming CvGX470.. for what reasons i dont know but it seems like u have issues. another instanse of your poor READING Skills.
and by the way 3 pack of STP gas Treatment from Wallmart are $6 CANADIAN (about less then 5 in US$) which will get you through 9 gas tanks difference between low n high grade is around $8 per tank fill up... pls do the math( funny you can build racing engines and don't know simple calculation) .

"we r talking about GX in specific and the technology advancement related to GX... as of now GX engine is still designed with 87 in mind " - no, it's not, and hasn't been since the 2005 model year

Lemme tell you something. GX comes from Japan.. and is also known as prado (with little cosmetic diff between the two like LX n Landcruiser).. Asian markets rely highly on 87 n 89 octane fuel.. and thats the prime reason that even the 2005 GX can handle 87 grade fuel... but higher grade is recommended.

Don't know what ur point is here.. but thats usual of you.

"my point (as the title of the forum) was to tell people not to waste thier money putting in higher octane fuels rather then midgrade in GX 470. " - Exactly. Which is bad advice for 2005+ GXs, which is what I (and others) have said all along. Previous model years will work fine on 87. But not the newer models with their increased compression and advanced timing.

even with 2005 gx you can put lower octane as long as it doesn't give you engine knocking ... as long as your engine doesn't knock.. u can use the 87 octane... coz thats the only difference in the diff octane level.. everything to do with the antiknock characterstics.. everything else is pretty much the same...
Hope this brings an end to this topic and gives you peace. I'm done here as most people got the info and what they do from now remains there personal choice.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by sayadil; 06-08-06 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 04:39 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trebien
"putting in higher octane for the sake of addictves is as dumb as ur argument" - sorry, CVGX470 - you're as dumb as my arguement. Especialy when a tank of premium will cost about $4 more, and a little bottle of additive costs about... oh... $4 more.

Nice to know that you need to make every debate on this forum nothing more than an argument with your name calling. Like I said before, you can ask anyone you want behind any counter at any gas station; I don't really care to tell you the truth. My original question on this thread was about using 94 Octane and its possible benefits. You made it personal with your completely fabricated BS. Quit talking out of your ****...

Oh well guys/gals, I'm late for my appointment at the local bowling alley. I'm off to ask the, "owner," about the problem I am having with my granite countertops chipping at home. He has to know whats wrong with them because his bowling ***** never crack.

Peace,
CV
Old 06-09-06, 04:45 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sayadil
Hey trebien pls read this carefully as i can't go over n over the same thing with you... i keep on educating you on something and u bring your useless arguments forward.

QUOTE=trebien]It was more out of curiosity than anything, and it's my right to do so. Excuse the hell out of me fora actually trying to find out some accurate information on the subject, rather than making up bullguano and talking out of my ****. Also, one was a family-run station... it was the owner behind the counter. Another was the owner, because I've talked to him before. I don't know about the Exxon - probably just a manager.

As CvGX470 said you have more then enough time to do this kinda research. And your research is incorrect coz i just confirmed with shell and petro canada (on the phone btw) both follow the same procedure and according to them they don't think any company sends Pre mixed Mid Grade.. so i guess u are actually bringing info out of your ****...

well i dint copy n paste the statement like you.. i was reading through lot of websites not just edmunds and dint remember word to word of the statement.. but fact still remains that its mixed at the pump...

well like the fta website clearly states that higher octane has no benifit meaning waste of money.

well if you did your reading then u should know the website clearly mentions that even cars where Premium is recomemeded and the car can handle lower octane... u can put lower octane as long as it doesn't knock and if it doesn't knock you r fine. you will save 100's dollars over the year.

well if the 2005 owners manual says that you can put 87 where premium not found means clearly it can handle 87 and above... meaning two things... 1st - that you can put 87 as long as it doesn't give knocking (only 9% of total cases report problems after switchin to lower octane according to the website)
2nd - Your english reading skills are poor... leading me to believe your prolly a fresh immigrant.

""putting in higher octane for the sake of addictves is as dumb as ur argument" - sorry, CVGX470 - you're as dumb as my arguement. Especialy when a tank of premium will cost about $4 more, and a little bottle of additive costs about... oh... $4 more.

First of all Good to know... you atleast agree your statment was dumb.. secondly the statement was made by me and your blaming CvGX470.. for what reasons i dont know but it seems like u have issues. another instanse of your poor READING Skills.
and by the way 3 pack of STP gas Treatment from Wallmart are $6 CANADIAN (about less then 5 in US$) which will get you through 9 gas tanks difference between low n high grade is around $8 per tank fill up... pls do the math( funny you can build racing engines and don't know simple calculation) .

Lemme tell you something. GX comes from Japan.. and is also known as prado (with little cosmetic diff between the two like LX n Landcruiser).. Asian markets rely highly on 87 n 89 octane fuel.. and thats the prime reason that even the 2005 GX can handle 87 grade fuel... but higher grade is recommended.

Don't know what ur point is here.. but thats usual of you.

even with 2005 gx you can put lower octane as long as it doesn't give you engine knocking ... as long as your engine doesn't knock.. u can use the 87 octane... coz thats the only difference in the diff octane level.. everything to do with the antiknock characterstics.. everything else is pretty much the same...
Hope this brings an end to this topic and gives you peace. I'm done here as most people got the info and what they do from now remains there personal choice.

[/QUOTE]

sayadil, it's not worth it. when all you do is spread your crap around to be a part of the conversaton, you start to believe yourself. Then when you are proven wrong by multiple people, you go into the name calling...
CV
Old 06-09-06, 07:49 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
[snip]....
The 2005+ engines can advance the timing enough to make use of the extra octane. If using a lower octance gasoline, the engine will retard timing and make less power, therefore burning more gasoline to make the same power/cover the same distance. I drive a lot of highway miles, on long, flat Texas roads with easily re-producable results. On several vehicles (that can all adjust timing) I have tried mid-grade vs. premium fuels. On all accounts, the MPG went up with the higher octane, more than enough to offset the increased price. Especially now that the increase in price is fractionally smaller than it used to be... i.e. those 10 extra cents per gallon is about 3% costlier, when it used to be about 8% costlier. If you can recoupe 3% better mpg, then the increased cost of premium gasoline pays for itself. Not to mention that upper grade gasolines tend to have more additives and detergents in them to keep the engine healthy - an added bonus.

[snip]
I found the same result in my 03LX...~15% better mpg on 91 vs 87 (14.5mpg vs 17 mpg) for a 6.7% increase in price for 91 vs 87 (20 cents/$3). I've found that oil viscosity can make a difference. Using normal valvoline mineral oil (10w40) or Mobil 1 10w30 (Walmart, ACEA-1, GM spec) got the same fuel economy, but using Mobil 1 0w40 (ACEA-3 benz/bmw spec) or Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 commercial oil, fuel economy was consistently 5-10% better. I don't use 5w30...that's as thin as water. The automaker has to spec 5w30 and dealer has to use it since the CAFE tests use it. Sure, your engine may warm up slightly faster, but at the expense of longevity. The same engine for the same vehicle (2UZ-FE, landcruiser) in Australia and Japan are spec'd with 10w30.
Old 06-09-06, 01:55 PM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I found the same result in my 03LX...~15% better mpg on 91 vs 87 (14.5mpg vs 17 mpg) for a 6.7% increase in price for 91 vs 87 (20 cents/$3). I've found that oil viscosity can make a difference. Using normal valvoline mineral oil (10w40) or Mobil 1 10w30 (Walmart, ACEA-1, GM spec) got the same fuel economy, but using Mobil 1 0w40 (ACEA-3 benz/bmw spec) or Mobil 1 Delvac 5w40 commercial oil, fuel economy was consistently 5-10% better. I don't use 5w30...that's as thin as water. The automaker has to spec 5w30 and dealer has to use it since the CAFE tests use it. Sure, your engine may warm up slightly faster, but at the expense of longevity. The same engine for the same vehicle (2UZ-FE, landcruiser) in Australia and Japan are spec'd with 10w30.
Hmmm. Interesting information. Thanks for sharing Jim.
CV
Old 06-10-06, 01:09 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

I totaly agree about your statment regarding the difference in oil thickness (or thiness) making a diff in engine which further impacts the milage. but as far as Diff octane level is considered.. u can go through lot of websites including the fedral FTA website that i gave earlier.. clearly states that diff octane level has everything to do with ignition timing... other then that it has no benifit... but if using premium is giving you more milage then why not!! as for me.. it doesn't do much. but i mite try 10W30 next time..
Old 06-10-06, 09:08 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

What do you mean by expense of longevity, Im only asking because my friend has a mid 90's BMW 525 and it has 425k on the clock all with 5w30, all original parts and has been using regular which returns crappy gas mileage and no power, still nice but premium gas makes the car come alive, plus my friends F-150 work truck has over 250k on it with 5w30, so is longevity really effected
Old 06-10-06, 09:48 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Trebien and Sayadil-

This is not the first time I have mentioned to both of you that name calling is not allowed on Club Lexus. Please read ClubLexus rules for guidelines prior to your next posts.

We welcome reasoned debate, passionate but polite argument and disagreement on the facts. This can be done without attacking the person or their integrity or intelligence.

If nothing else, can you please step back and consider whether how many tanks gas stations mix their gas from is a point of personal honor? Reasonable people can disagree reasonably.

Unfortunately, this thread, which started on a topic of interest to many, has gotten out of hand with this personal bickering and will have to be locked.