GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: What Type of Rear Door for the GX?
I like the barn door - leave it alone!
30.86%
Just make the barn door into a liftgate
7.41%
I want a liftgate and an openable rear window for flexibility
16.05%
I want it all - liftgate with push button open and close and openable rear window
45.68%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

GX Barndoor poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 05:15 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Yeah, I agree with it being hard to lock and unlock the door. My wife has problems with it too. Anyway, if most of us don't like the barn door, why does Lexus keep it around? Or, better yet, why did they design it like that in the first place. Any ideas? Ease of use? My take would be that they designed it for women who find it hard to pull down on a heavy gate. But if that is the case, it should have been motorized because it is a $55K vehicle.
CV
Don't know, but that would be my vote! I am curious to see if they redesign the back door when they update the GX.
Old 05-31-06, 09:36 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexguynj
The rear window feature is nice, but I had this before in my old 4Runner and found that I didn't use it that often or would forget to close it.
An alternate design to the rear window up/down on the 4Runner is the flip up/down like on the Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder.

I had one on my old Ford Explorer, and I probably used it about 75% of the time instead of the full liftgate. It was light, convenient to drop in a few items, and obvious enough that it was open that I don't think I ever forgot to close it in ten years.
Old 05-31-06, 10:50 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't care much for the rear window going down in my past 4Runner either. It was useless IMHO:

1) If you drove with it down, you suffocated on the rotten egg smell.

2) You couldn't really pull anything out of the window when it was down so it really didn't save you much time and effort especially when you have the toneu cover closed.

CV
Old 05-31-06, 12:19 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Why does this old post keep showing up as a new post?
Bob, a post that is a poll, will show as updated whenever a person votes on the poll, EVEN if there is no new text postings.
Old 06-01-06, 05:21 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Bob, a post that is a poll, will show as updated whenever a person votes on the poll, EVEN if there is no new text postings.
Heyzeus! I understand why some complain about posts that have already covered a specific topic especially when you can use the, 'search' function above. However, unless you use the specific wording found in a past post, you can sometimes miss them. I absolutely hate it when a noobie gets a reply to their question with a shotty response about searching. If we never bring subjects back up, we would eventually run out of things to talk about. That is of course unless you want to discuss the number of threads on the bolt that holds the grill on. Bob, if you don't like repeat or continuous posts, don't read them. It is really that simple IMHO.

CV
Old 06-01-06, 01:14 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

CV - I think Bob was referring to the fact that when you come to the GX forum, this topic shows up at the top as having unread posts - but when you go through the thread there is no new post.

As loflin correctly pointed out, that is a function of the board software - if somebody votes in a poll the topic shows up as having a new post to read. I know that happens to me - I look through the whole thread for new posts but there aren't any.
Old 06-01-06, 02:03 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by loflin
Geez, I've been on the internet since 96, and I learned something new today. Thank you.
Old 06-01-06, 02:04 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverLady
CV - I think Bob was referring to the fact that when you come to the GX forum, this topic shows up at the top as having unread posts - but when you go through the thread there is no new post.

As loflin correctly pointed out, that is a function of the board software - if somebody votes in a poll the topic shows up as having a new post to read. I know that happens to me - I look through the whole thread for new posts but there aren't any.
Thanks SilverLady, that's exactly what I meant.
Old 06-02-06, 02:11 AM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I didn't care much for the rear window going down in my past 4Runner either. It was useless IMHO:

1) If you drove with it down, you suffocated on the rotten egg smell.

2) You couldn't really pull anything out of the window when it was down so it really didn't save you much time and effort especially when you have the toneu cover closed.

CV
The rear glass on the 4Runner is a great feature. Very convienent in multiple situations. It's a real selling point to many people.
Just goes to show that everyone's different
Old 06-02-06, 04:38 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Thanks SilverLady, that's exactly what I meant.
Sorry then Bob.

I was wrong about what you meant. It does seem that others around here do fit into my description however.

CV
Old 06-02-06, 04:39 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady

Okay, thanks for setting me straight.
CV
Old 06-02-06, 06:20 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXPrado
The rear glass on the 4Runner is a great feature. Very convienent in multiple situations. It's a real selling point to many people.
Just goes to show that everyone's different
When we went to look at the 4Runner, we asked the salesguy if the back window opened up. He said "no", and proceeded to tell all the reasons why Toyota didn't make a window that opened! I was rather surprised to find the back window opening buried in the specs in the brochure - I guess they figure the salesguy would show you the features. I considered the non-opening issue a big negative, then bought a GX - go figure.

Of course this is the same salesguy that demonstrated the sunroof to me in a 4Runner sitting outside in the lot in January. Guess what - the snow did all fall into the car and down my neck and all over. Nice guy for a Toyota salesman, but...

I saw somebody loading a small SUV today, I think a Honda, that had a barn door and a flip up rear window. It looked a bit odd with both open, but seemed a lot more convenient than just the barn door.
Old 06-02-06, 08:19 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Even though my previous 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee had the flip up rear window, I never used it. Seems to me that if you opened it and leaned in to place or remove an item from the back, you would get your shirt or jacket dirty from all the accumulated grime that gets thrown onto the rear liftgate area. Not to mention all the scratches you would accumulate in the paint on the liftgate. It was much easier to just open and close the liftgate.
So on the GX, if it had the power rear window, I would never use it. But even though I don't mind the current barn door, I would rather have a liftgate. Hopefully the next redesigned GX (if they make one), will have a liftgate.
Old 06-11-06, 07:49 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

I think the barn door setup is fine, just the door opens the wrong way if you are trying to load something in and are parked on the side of the road. It should swing from right to left if they have the barn door style, or have a liftgate.
Old 06-13-06, 12:03 PM
Salvator
Driver

Barn door doesn't bother me, as our previous vehicle was a Land Rover Discovery with a similar setup... I do think it would be nice if the glass opened (so you could carry long pieces of wood, etc.) although I don't usually carry that sort of stuff in the car anyway... I have a trailer for that sort of stuff... Ocassionally, though, you buy something unexpectedly, and it would be nice to have the option...

Quick Reply: GX Barndoor poll