GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 03:10 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

@asgeir75 I cant say unless we can see the whole image where the prop shaft to the differential flange ( 4 bolts are visible ) , but the P/N is same for GX models. There has been no TSB so far after 2008 redesign to the Prop shaft.
Old 04-16-14, 11:25 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rainmn
Just brought our new to us GX to the dealer to see what they could do about getting the clunk TSB done. The truck only has 21k miles, but the powertrain warranty expired in Dec.

I thought they might be able to do something, based on past experience with my last GX....I was wrong. They quoted my wife $500 to replace the driveshaft, plus tried to get her for another $200 for a new battery.

I have a feeling that the dealer didn't even contact Lexus to see if they would cover, or at least partially cover the repair. I just opened a case with Lexus customer service to see if that gets me anywhere.
Just heard back from Lexus on my request. They offered to pay $250 towards the repair, which is exactly half of what I was quoted. Seems fair enough to me, considering it would cost me more to order the driveshaft and replace it myself. Taking it in next week to have the dealer do the work.
Old 04-21-14, 03:53 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

The Whole job takes 1 hour, and some basis tools, if you are a grease monkey this is just too easy, and not rocket science.
Old 04-21-14, 06:03 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mann777
The Whole job takes 1 hour, and some basis tools, if you are a grease monkey this is just too easy, and not rocket science.
I could certainly do it myself, and would have if Lexus wasn't paying $250 towards it.

Part alone is around $320 with shipping form Sewell. My cost for the repair will be $250 with Lexus paying the other $250.

Doesn't make any sense for me to pay $70 more to do it myself.
Old 05-13-14, 11:09 AM
spport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Propellor shaft replaced by Carmax

I bought my 2007 GX470 in March at Carmax and noticed the clunk right away but didn't know what it was until reading this forum. The 30 day warranty period had passed but they are replacing the propeller shaft at their cost. Thanks Club Lexus.
Old 06-28-14, 09:01 AM
Irishman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk Fix

We have a CPO GX470 2007. We purchased 8 months ago and have been experiencing the clunk, i took it to my Toyota dealer to change oil and ask him to grease propellar shaft. When i drove away i could tell this did not help.
Icalled Sewell Lexus and was set up with Christy as my service rep. She ask me to give her a few hours and she would call back. She did the next morning and set up an appointment for us to bring vehicle in for the replacement.
While we were there they noticed our power steering rack was leaking and a boot on passenger sie front damaged. This was an additional $2700 dollars of problem they would fix at no charge.
I am not sure it helped, but when we purchased the SUV, i added an additional year to the CPO warranty.
She sent us home in a loaner and 3 days later sent an agent with our car and to pickup loaner, 240 miles round trip.
This is our first time to use Sewell service and after this the car will only be repaired by Sewell with any other repair GREAT JOB SEWELL
Old 08-01-14, 08:47 AM
spport
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irishman
We have a CPO GX470 2007. We purchased 8 months ago and have been experiencing the clunk, i took it to my Toyota dealer to change oil and ask him to grease propellar shaft. When i drove away i could tell this did not help.
Icalled Sewell Lexus and was set up with Christy as my service rep. She ask me to give her a few hours and she would call back. She did the next morning and set up an appointment for us to bring vehicle in for the replacement.
While we were there they noticed our power steering rack was leaking and a boot on passenger sie front damaged. This was an additional $2700 dollars of problem they would fix at no charge.
I am not sure it helped, but when we purchased the SUV, i added an additional year to the CPO warranty.
She sent us home in a loaner and 3 days later sent an agent with our car and to pickup loaner, 240 miles round trip.
This is our first time to use Sewell service and after this the car will only be repaired by Sewell with any other repair GREAT JOB SEWELL
I have same model year. Had my first oil change and both boots and steering rack are leaking in my GX470. I am in a 2015 loaner and again its all covered by "Maxcare" at DCH Lexus.
Old 08-04-14, 01:56 AM
Kurt10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Irishman
I had the same done with my GX 470 on that Cpo warranty. It is worth every penny. Like owning a new car with a 4-5 year warranty. My 03 is still going strong at 175k. Not even a tick in that engine. Only real expense ive had is shocks and a timng belt i finally got nervous about since it was 160k before I had it replaced. Hats off to Sewell service reps. Great group of people.

Last edited by Kurt10; 08-04-14 at 01:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-15, 12:23 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Wondering if this might be my problem. Clunk started a while back, not bad but noticeable. Now it's gotten pretty bad. I had thought it was a problem with the rear diff because I'm getting a noise that increases with speed. Changed front bearings--they needed it anyway--but that didn't fix the problem. Could this driveshaft problem be the issue?

Also, is this covered by Lexus since they issued a TSB?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-15, 01:04 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Wondering if this might be my problem. Clunk started a while back, not bad but noticeable. Now it's gotten pretty bad. I had thought it was a problem with the rear diff because I'm getting a noise that increases with speed. Changed front bearings--they needed it anyway--but that didn't fix the problem. Could this driveshaft problem be the issue?

Also, is this covered by Lexus since they issued a TSB?

Thanks.
Have you tried lubing it? Supposed to be service every 5 K
Old 03-18-15, 01:49 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Yes, been lubed regularly.
Old 03-18-15, 03:29 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Wait, what?
I need to check the service chart in the manual again.

Is there a recommended grease?

Chip H.
Old 03-18-15, 06:47 PM
kirtley264
Driver School Candidate

Default Drive Shaft

Covered under warranty
Old 03-19-15, 07:17 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
Wait, what?
I need to check the service chart in the manual again.

Is there a recommended grease?

Chip H.
I used to let dealer lube it...still always clunked, started doing it myself, used Royal Purple synthetic, have been doing that routine, rear every 5000 miles, front every 10,000 and have not had the clunk since...either its the synthetic or they never put enough grease in the spline zerk fitting...its a 2004 and no clunk.
Old 03-19-15, 11:19 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

The 4Runner guys are saying 2 squirts to the zerks on the U-joints, and 4+ to the one on the spline.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB