GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 04:10 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mmsces
I have a 2007 GX470 (April 07) that occasionally clunks at idle or when shifting. Is this the same symptoms experienced by others on this thread? If so, can someone re-post the TSB information that worked to fix it so I can pass to my service tech? I just didn't have time to find it through the 37 pages of threads.

Thanks!
Just call your dealer and ask the service advisor. Common problem he should tell you and set-up an appt. If he doesn't know talk to the service manager and if he tells you ask to be assigned to another SA
Old 02-14-08, 08:14 PM
mmsces
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Just call your dealer and ask the service advisor. Common problem he should tell you and set-up an appt. If he doesn't know talk to the service manager and if he tells you ask to be assigned to another SA
Thanks...I already called once and they acted surprised, as though they had never heard of such a problem (Lexus Dealer), but will try again.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-08, 11:21 PM
M32GX470
Driver School Candidate

New to the forum. I just had my Gx470 in service for the TSB and couple other minor issue. So far the truck drives good as can be. I will update if anything goes south. Lexus of Wayzata, MN
Old 02-19-08, 12:04 AM
M32GX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Huntington
I am a few weeks out from having the TSB done and have just experienced my first hiccup for the GX. HOWEVER, I am not sure that it is related to the TSB.
My VSAC TRAC Warning light came on and stayed on for a 10 mile drive yesterday. It disabled my entire Traction Control System as well as Rollover Protection. Has anyone had this happen? Today, the light is off and everything is working. I'm hoping this was just a fluke, as I only have 2000 miles left on my warranty...
This same thing happen to my GX yesterday just after the TSB work last week. I call my SA and took it in for Lexus to look at and it was a loose gas tank cap that cause the VSAC system to shut itself down . Glad it was just that
Old 03-01-08, 01:08 PM
VFND
Driver School Candidate

Default Clunk Fixed

Hello all....my first post.
Bought my 2004 GX470 on February 13, 2008, with 47,500 miles on it. Immediately noticed the slight clunking. I had a bit of experience with this as my husband's Tahoe does the exact same thing until he puts a special GM grease in the driveshaft. After finding this site, which has been ever so helpful, I took the GX to Sewell Lexus in Dallas and it was fixed the same day with new Driveshaft and Control Arms. My only concern with the truck now is it seems there is a very slight vibration and I took it back for this but they couldn't find anything but adjusted the air in the rear. I just bought an Extended Platinum Warranty from Toby at the Lexus dealership in Shreveport (7 year/100k miles- $0 Ded.) for $2030, which is way below the advertised price and significantly lower than Sewell Lexus was offering. He is sending the materials by mail and when it's all said and done, I'll follow up here with his phone number if all goes well.
Old 03-02-08, 12:51 AM
LexGX
Pole Position

I was wondering if the rear control arm and the driveshaft has anything to do with the rear air shocks that we have? Its kinda like hydrolic airbags that we have in the rear.
Old 04-14-08, 06:18 AM
Nathan H5
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed this clunk too. When I am pulling up to a traffic light or stopping, I feel it. I purchased my GX from my friend Tai at American Auto Tech. He purchased it brand new from Lindsey Lexus in Alexandria. Tai and Le told me they will replace the parts, even though I own the vehicle now; they go by the VIN to replace. Will I be charged with anything? I am a "newbie" when it comes to Lexus ownership.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 04-29-08, 11:15 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my 2007 GX in for a 20k service today and mentioned the clunk; primarily in the context of poor ride at times.

I found new control arms and a new driveshaft on the truck when I picked it up later in the day. Rides better. Maybe just my imagination.
Old 05-05-08, 10:17 AM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to the group for keeping everyone updated on the Clunk and the TSB. I went in for my first service on my 07 GX @ 5K miles this weekend and mentioned the clunk and the service writer tried to push back. then i mentioned that i know there is a TSB on this and he agreed to have it checked.

At the end of the service I was told a new drive shaft would be ordered on Monday and they would be replacing it next week and would provide a loaner car for the day.

Thanks again tot he masses who have kept us all alert and shared their experience on this.

Steve
Old 05-06-08, 10:44 AM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unabacia
Thanks to the group for keeping everyone updated on the Clunk and the TSB. I went in for my first service on my 07 GX @ 5K miles this weekend and mentioned the clunk and the service writer tried to push back. then i mentioned that i know there is a TSB on this and he agreed to have it checked.

At the end of the service I was told a new drive shaft would be ordered on Monday and they would be replacing it next week and would provide a loaner car for the day.

Thanks again tot he masses who have kept us all alert and shared their experience on this.

Steve
Make sure you get the new control arms (maybe they're called "trailing arms") too. They're the bars connecting the underbody to the rear axle.
Old 05-10-08, 05:40 AM
rklages
Pole Position

Just traded in my GX and bought an RX - in hindsight I should have lived with the clunk - the clunk fix was the worst thing I ever did. They fixed the clunk for sure, then one of the shocks started leaking, took it in an they replaced the wrong shock, took it back and they replaced the correct shock, but after all was said and done the car rode like crap very uncomfortable like it had not enough damping and too much rebound. Many others have complained about this, but no one has gotten a fix - I thought it was in my head for a while, but after having the new car (RX350) driving over the same bumps and dips everyday with it, I don't even notice them, where the GX would pogo the backend fairly violently.

Given a second chance, I would not have them fix the clunk - it was much easier to deal with than the result of the fix!

Rob
Old 05-10-08, 11:01 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rklages
Just traded in my GX and bought an RX - in hindsight I should have lived with the clunk - the clunk fix was the worst thing I ever did. They fixed the clunk for sure, then one of the shocks started leaking, took it in an they replaced the wrong shock, took it back and they replaced the correct shock, but after all was said and done the car rode like crap very uncomfortable like it had not enough damping and too much rebound. Many others have complained about this, but no one has gotten a fix - I thought it was in my head for a while, but after having the new car (RX350) driving over the same bumps and dips everyday with it, I don't even notice them, where the GX would pogo the backend fairly violently.

Given a second chance, I would not have them fix the clunk - it was much easier to deal with than the result of the fix!

Rob
My dealer did the clunk-"fix" without asking. I asked them to look at the rear height sensors because of the sporadically rough ride I was experiencing, and I show up to the clunk fix...

Not sure I would have let them do the fix if they'd asked. IMHO you're asking for trouble any time you unnecessarily mess with factory installed hardware. Dealers can be hacks, for sure.

That said, knock wood, mine seems OK. The rear feels a bit "tighter", and rides a bit higher. Had it loaded down pretty heavily last week and it rode great. So far so good.
Old 05-11-08, 08:53 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned an 04 GX before with the clunk and they performed the TSB on it and it worked out fine. I just purchased a new GX a couple months ago and with 2500 miles, I'm starting to feel signs of it on the new vehicle. I don't understand why Lexus is into its sixth year of production with this vehicle, and they haven't made the fix part of a permanent redesign on the assembly line. What happend to the "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"? Anybody know why this contunues to occur through six years of production?

Jim
Old 05-12-08, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Because its actually cheaper to fix the few complains thru the clunk TSB than to re-tool the production line. Its all about money.
Old 05-12-08, 04:08 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I know about the parts that are replaced via the TSB, it doesn't appear to me to be much of production line retooling issue. Just assemble them with the TSB parts on the production line. Lower control arms and drive shaft. But what do I know...

I remember for 10 years+, Chrysler minivans had transmission problems and they followed the same protocol. They just kept replacing transmissions with new ones that had the same issues until the vehicles were out of warranty. A friend of mine had four new tranny's installed under warranty...

At least the drive shaft and control arm replacements appear to be a one time fix and the problem doesn't reoccur. But I guess I expect a more proactive approach from Toyota/Lexus.

Jim

Last edited by JimsGX; 05-12-08 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB