GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 11:18 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 06 GX in for the 5000 mile service yesterday. My clunk has actually been getting worse (think I felt a double clunk!), so I figured it was time to mention it. They said they would have to order the parts and would call me.

I keep mine one up from top comfort setting now, so I hope this doesn't spoil the ride. OTOH, the clunk is actually getting annoying and somewhat scary while driving as I am never sure what is going on back there.
Old 07-12-06, 11:29 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clunks

I have been reading these CLUNK stories since I bought my GX in December of 2003.

To date, I have NOT heard of anyone having a Break-Down due to the clunks.

~ Cap
Old 07-14-06, 11:04 AM
Sammzway
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After following this thread ever since it started, there are no negative feedback. I think i'm gonna call and make an appointment. Our GX also leans to the left like 2 inch or so, it looks weird and retarded and very annoying once you notice it. I always thought it was our driveway pavement. I hope the parts are not back ordered like 1 month. This forum board rocksss and researching and gaining knowledge only gives us the upper hand when dealing with these dealerships. Thanks guys, i'll keep you guys posted.

Sam
Old 07-15-06, 09:57 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
I have been reading these CLUNK stories since I bought my GX in December of 2003.

To date, I have NOT heard of anyone having a Break-Down due to the clunks.

~ Cap

Agreed, and no one will ever break down due to it. It's just annoying to some people.

I had it done last week, and so far the drivetrain feels buttery smooth.
Old 07-15-06, 02:29 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the updates ..I have never moved the settings at all. does that make a difference in the noise ?? being the hieght of the GX 470??

tia
Old 07-16-06, 02:25 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Looks like my 06 GX is also joining the club. The other day when I came to a stop and before I took my foot off the brake pedal, I raised the rear of the GX and then lowered it using the RAHC switch. Sure enough, I felt a shudder in the driveline. Felt kind of like a vehicle tapped the GX lightly from the rear. Since I only have 3400 miles on the GX, I imagine it will get worse as the miles accumulate.
I made an appointment with Prestige Lexus in NJ. They said it takes about 3 hours to do the repair. While its there, I might as well get the first free service done even though I already changed the oil and filter myself. They also said they would give me a loaner car, but I might just hang around till its done.

Has anyone had the repair done at Prestige Lexus? Or any repairs/service done there. If so,
how did everything go? Thanks
I had mine done at prestige a month or so ago. The TSIB went well. The other stuff I had done.... not so well. But anyway, the clunk is gone!
Old 07-16-06, 03:09 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by yaro1
I had mine done at prestige a month or so ago. The TSIB went well. The other stuff I had done.... not so well. But anyway, the clunk is gone!
That doesn't sound to good. What other stuff did they mess up?? Also, what kind of loaner did you receive from Prestige?

Last edited by BobsGX; 07-16-06 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 12:11 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
That doesn't sound to good. What other stuff did they mess up?? Also, what kind of loaner did you receive from Prestige?
I brought it in to do some normal service (25K?) and when I got it back, a rear height sensor wasn't working (resulting in a ride akin to driving a car with no shock absorbers), a fog light was burnt out (The left one was burnt out so they fixed that one, but the right one didn't work when I got home), and there was a scratch on the car. Then, when I got the right fog light fixed, they misaligned it and it points up above the headlights.

But, when we asked to talk to the tech that worked on the car to ask about the rattle we wanted fixed, we learned that "Jose, the new guy" worked on our car . He said the rattle that we reported from the wheelwell was actually the stuff in the door pockets so they just moved that stuff in to the glovebox. It definitely was NOT the stuff in the door pockets because I heard it from OUTSIDE of the car when closing the door .

They gave us a RX400h as the loaner so that was AWESOME . But the experience with Jose was not great.

And... a few years ago when we brought a car in for bodywork, someone drove the car through a toll without paying and I got a ticket for that!

Otherwise, dealing with Prestige is fine.
Old 07-17-06, 02:08 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by yaro1
I brought it in to do some normal service (25K?) and when I got it back, a rear height sensor wasn't working (resulting in a ride akin to driving a car with no shock absorbers), a fog light was burnt out (The left one was burnt out so they fixed that one, but the right one didn't work when I got home), and there was a scratch on the car. Then, when I got the right fog light fixed, they misaligned it and it points up above the headlights.

But, when we asked to talk to the tech that worked on the car to ask about the rattle we wanted fixed, we learned that "Jose, the new guy" worked on our car . He said the rattle that we reported from the wheelwell was actually the stuff in the door pockets so they just moved that stuff in to the glovebox. It definitely was NOT the stuff in the door pockets because I heard it from OUTSIDE of the car when closing the door .

They gave us a RX400h as the loaner so that was AWESOME . But the experience with Jose was not great.

And... a few years ago when we brought a car in for bodywork, someone drove the car through a toll without paying and I got a ticket for that!

Otherwise, dealing with Prestige is fine.
Thanks for all the info. When I bring my GX in, I'll make sure to mention not to have Jose work on my GX. But no doubt by doing that, they will purposely let him work on my GX. Did they repair the scratch?? I will blow a gasket if they do any damage to my GX.
Old 07-21-06, 08:58 PM
K-Bud
Driver

Default 2 Those who have had CLUNK fixed by dealer.....

did it solve the problem or have u had any re-occurences since having the driveshaft CLUNK problem fixed?

I ask because I just dropped our GX off this afternoon for this repair and am wondering what I am in store for come Monday or any other day down the road.

p.s. my service advisor was so surprised that I knew what the problem was and that I knew there was a TSB on this problem. Apparently MUM is the word from them unless current owners come in and complain about this problem.

UNREAL

thx
dan
Old 07-22-06, 01:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

I had the TSB for the clunk performed on my 06 GX a couple of days ago. The service took 3 hours and that included the 1st service. The GX seems to ride and handle the same as before the service. So for me, that's a good thing as I didn't want a stiffer ride as some others said they noticed after the repair.
As to the question: does the repair last, only time will tell.
Old 07-25-06, 07:50 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by K-Bud
Apparently MUM is the word from them unless current owners come in and complain about this problem.
Normal operating procedure at BMW as well... unless you complain about something, they won't fix it ahead of time as a courtesy... And sometimes, just complaining won't work either... My BMW 325Ci had the "sticky gas pedal" problem... Talked to Service Rep, and he says he's never heard of such a thing... next time it happens, I look up the TSB, print it off and take it in with me... Service Rep scowls at me and says "we'll have to order the part"... Now, how would he know that (without checking ahead of time) that the parts dept. did not have any gas pedals laying around, UNLESS it was actually a very common problem... Fortunately, my new Service Rep is much more responsive (and I walk in with the TSB first thing... )
Old 07-25-06, 08:10 AM
bigL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by K-Bud
did it solve the problem or have u had any re-occurences since having the driveshaft CLUNK problem fixed?

I ask because I just dropped our GX off this afternoon for this repair and am wondering what I am in store for come Monday or any other day down the road.

p.s. my service advisor was so surprised that I knew what the problem was and that I knew there was a TSB on this problem. Apparently MUM is the word from them unless current owners come in and complain about this problem.

UNREAL

thx
dan
MUM is not the word this is a well known prob.That is why there is a bulletin.And there is no poss. way this fix can effect your ride.
Old 07-25-06, 11:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bigL
MUM is not the word this is a well known prob.That is why there is a bulletin.And there is no poss. way this fix can effect your ride.
Mum is the word, because each one of these TSB cost Lexus thousands of dollars. I just did the TSB and those new lower control arms definitely make the ride and cornering stiffer.
Old 07-25-06, 01:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
Mum is the word, because each one of these TSB cost Lexus thousands of dollars. I just did the TSB and those new lower control arms definitely make the ride and cornering stiffer.
If your Lexus dealer did the TSB the proper way, then your GX should not ride or corner any differently than before the TSB was done. No doubt the tech that did the TSB did not properly stabilize the rear suspension prior to doing the final torque on the replaced control arms. This is called for in the Lexus Repair Manual. Not doing so will cause the control arm bushings to bind up and this will cause a stiffer ride. Maybe you should have them stabilize the rear suspension prior to redoing the torque adjustment on the control arms. That should make a difference.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB