Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-14, 11:25 AM   #796
rainmn
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
Just brought our new to us GX to the dealer to see what they could do about getting the clunk TSB done. The truck only has 21k miles, but the powertrain warranty expired in Dec.

I thought they might be able to do something, based on past experience with my last GX....I was wrong. They quoted my wife $500 to replace the driveshaft, plus tried to get her for another $200 for a new battery.

I have a feeling that the dealer didn't even contact Lexus to see if they would cover, or at least partially cover the repair. I just opened a case with Lexus customer service to see if that gets me anywhere.
Just heard back from Lexus on my request. They offered to pay $250 towards the repair, which is exactly half of what I was quoted. Seems fair enough to me, considering it would cost me more to order the driveshaft and replace it myself. Taking it in next week to have the dealer do the work.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 03:53 AM   #797
mann777
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
mann777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: EARTH
Posts: 1,156
Default

The Whole job takes 1 hour, and some basis tools, if you are a grease monkey this is just too easy, and not rocket science.
__________________
LS400-1994/GX470-2004(KDSS) (HIS)
**********************
Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it.
mann777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 06:03 AM   #798
rainmn
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann777 View Post
The Whole job takes 1 hour, and some basis tools, if you are a grease monkey this is just too easy, and not rocket science.
I could certainly do it myself, and would have if Lexus wasn't paying $250 towards it.

Part alone is around $320 with shipping form Sewell. My cost for the repair will be $250 with Lexus paying the other $250.

Doesn't make any sense for me to pay $70 more to do it myself.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 11:09 AM   #799
spport
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Talking Propellor shaft replaced by Carmax

I bought my 2007 GX470 in March at Carmax and noticed the clunk right away but didn't know what it was until reading this forum. The 30 day warranty period had passed but they are replacing the propeller shaft at their cost. Thanks Club Lexus.
spport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 09:01 AM   #800
Irishman
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3
Default Clunk Fix

We have a CPO GX470 2007. We purchased 8 months ago and have been experiencing the clunk, i took it to my Toyota dealer to change oil and ask him to grease propellar shaft. When i drove away i could tell this did not help.
Icalled Sewell Lexus and was set up with Christy as my service rep. She ask me to give her a few hours and she would call back. She did the next morning and set up an appointment for us to bring vehicle in for the replacement.
While we were there they noticed our power steering rack was leaking and a boot on passenger sie front damaged. This was an additional $2700 dollars of problem they would fix at no charge.
I am not sure it helped, but when we purchased the SUV, i added an additional year to the CPO warranty.
She sent us home in a loaner and 3 days later sent an agent with our car and to pickup loaner, 240 miles round trip.
This is our first time to use Sewell service and after this the car will only be repaired by Sewell with any other repair GREAT JOB SEWELL
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 08:47 AM   #801
spport
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
We have a CPO GX470 2007. We purchased 8 months ago and have been experiencing the clunk, i took it to my Toyota dealer to change oil and ask him to grease propellar shaft. When i drove away i could tell this did not help.
Icalled Sewell Lexus and was set up with Christy as my service rep. She ask me to give her a few hours and she would call back. She did the next morning and set up an appointment for us to bring vehicle in for the replacement.
While we were there they noticed our power steering rack was leaking and a boot on passenger sie front damaged. This was an additional $2700 dollars of problem they would fix at no charge.
I am not sure it helped, but when we purchased the SUV, i added an additional year to the CPO warranty.
She sent us home in a loaner and 3 days later sent an agent with our car and to pickup loaner, 240 miles round trip.
This is our first time to use Sewell service and after this the car will only be repaired by Sewell with any other repair GREAT JOB SEWELL
I have same model year. Had my first oil change and both boots and steering rack are leaking in my GX470. I am in a 2015 loaner and again its all covered by "Maxcare" at DCH Lexus.
spport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-14, 01:56 AM   #802
Kurt10
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
We have a CPO GX470 2007. We purchased 8 months ago and have been experiencing the clunk, i took it to my Toyota dealer to change oil and ask him to grease propellar shaft. When i drove away i could tell this did not help.
Icalled Sewell Lexus and was set up with Christy as my service rep. She ask me to give her a few hours and she would call back. She did the next morning and set up an appointment for us to bring vehicle in for the replacement.
While we were there they noticed our power steering rack was leaking and a boot on passenger sie front damaged. This was an additional $2700 dollars of problem they would fix at no charge.
I am not sure it helped, but when we purchased the SUV, i added an additional year to the CPO warranty.
She sent us home in a loaner and 3 days later sent an agent with our car and to pickup loaner, 240 miles round trip.
This is our first time to use Sewell service and after this the car will only be repaired by Sewell with any other repair GREAT JOB SEWELL
I had the same done with my GX 470 on that Cpo warranty. It is worth every penny. Like owning a new car with a 4-5 year warranty. My 03 is still going strong at 175k. Not even a tick in that engine. Only real expense ive had is shocks and a timng belt i finally got nervous about since it was 160k before I had it replaced. Hats off to Sewell service reps. Great group of people.

Last edited by Kurt10; 08-04-14 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: spelling
Kurt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:42 AM   #803
Taco_Kid
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: az
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt10 View Post
I had the same done with my GX 470 on that Cpo warranty. It is worth every penny. Like owning a new car with a 4-5 year warranty. My 03 is still going strong at 175k. Not even a tick in that engine. Only real expense ive had is shocks and a timng belt i finally got nervous about since it was 160k before I had it replaced. Hats off to Sewell service reps. Great group of people.
175k miles and only a timing belt? no water pump, no bearings, no sensors? nice that the oem parts can go that long but i would be worried if you didnt do these other items. heck, at 114k i am doing bearings, crank seal, belts, water pump, c/c sensors, fan clutch, support bearing/bracket, timing belt tensioner, plugs (2nd set), clean throttle body (new gasket), new pcv valves, almost everything outside is new. my 114k came at year 8, so my work for another 8+yrs is well worth it, and i am into parts for about $625.

thus far, only my water pump showed signs that replacing was needed, everything else looked very good, except for an oil sensor gasket that looks like it has small leak, but that i can get to later.

post #802, its a rare dealer. i had toyota dealer replace engine (short block) on brand new car, the loaner i got died on hwy (brand new car too), then my replacement engine died ~3k miles away from dealer who did the block work, turns out, this dealer service center did not heed my advice to install a long block, and the re-used the balance shaft bearings !! hence why the car needed extensive repairs after the new short block went south. even the other dealer who did repairs missed a bunch of stuff like missing bolts/screws/plastics, didnt re-connect support items. what a pits nightmare it was. two dealers 3k miles apart and service at both simply sucked.

Last edited by Taco_Kid; 08-06-14 at 09:51 AM..
Taco_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-14, 09:42 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
470, 540i, bmw, clunk, drive, driveshaft, engine, gx, gx470, issued, lexus, odyssey, pnm5, shaft, tsb, tsbdl00207

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question on recalls/tsb MCCR GS - Third Generation 3 04-12-13 09:28 PM
Ordered new driveshaft pmobils GX - First Generation 13 01-03-13 06:42 PM
Clunk going from reverse to drive... Driveshaft? dma251 LS400 6 10-17-12 11:25 PM
What do you use to lube the GX driveshaft? danmm7 GX - First Generation 5 10-10-12 09:23 PM
TSB For sunroof? Price quoted for headliner removal robertrios IS F 11 09-26-12 06:44 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info