GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 03:01 AM
Chexation
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmendenall
Just purchased an '04 GX 470 with 133,000 mi. Did not notice the clunk until after I had it a few days. Since I am outside the warranty period, I am wondering if this problem will cause any other damage to the vehicle if left unrepaired? It is my wife's vehicle and it doesn't bother her, but I don't want to cause other issues by not fixing the problem. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I don't know if it will cause any additional damage if you don't have it done. However, when you go to sell it years from now, the next person might have a problem with it and now you're losing money in resell.

Even though you are way out of warranty, I'd still take the TSB paperwork into the dealership with you and nicely insist that this is a well-known issue with the GX470 and should be repaired free-of-cost.

If your local dealership refuses, call corporate customer service and try your luck there. If this is your first Lexus, tell them that it is a very unfortunate way to begin ownership of Lexus. If you're a repeat buyer of Lexus, make sure they know that.

You will need to be firm with them and insist on speaking with a supervisor because your first answer will most definitely be no.

I'd say there is a good chance they'll either do it for free or do it at a much lower cost. I think it's worth having done.
Old 02-13-12, 05:01 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 144 Posts

I have and 04 with 118k, once i started lubing the shaft myself every 5000 miles and took it out of the dealers hands, i have been clunk free. royal purple synthetic grease, i get the feeling the dealer never pumped enough grease into the shaft zerks.
Old 02-13-12, 05:15 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Another option would be buying the shaft (I was quoted at my local Lexus dealer $288.40 for shaft assembly 37110-60A40 list price $360.50) and installing it yourself or have someone do it for you while you wait (shouldn't take longer then 30min, 1hr. max. including coffee break).
Old 02-13-12, 05:32 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I have and 04 with 118k, once i started lubing the shaft myself every 5000 miles and took it out of the dealers hands, i have been clunk free. royal purple synthetic grease, i get the feeling the dealer never pumped enough grease into the shaft zerks.
Alan, you are very correct. My first impression was the same, that they never even walked near by my GX with a grease gun! Never felt it again since I greased it for second time.
Old 03-19-12, 10:28 PM
atokad
Driver School Candidate

Took my "new to me" 2007 GX with 67k miles and 5.5 years from in-service date into my dealer for the clunk fix. Absolutely no questions asked. When I picked uit up they even told me one of the seals had a drop on it and they were not sure if it was starting to leak, so, they cleaned it off and they said be sure to come back just before you hit 70k miles and we will check it.

Will be replace under the 72 months 70k mile drive train warranty if they determine it is leaking at that time.

So far, so good for this first time Lexus owner.
Old 03-20-12, 06:40 AM
mbenz80
Rookie

Originally Posted by atokad
Took my "new to me" 2007 GX with 67k miles and 5.5 years from in-service date into my dealer for the clunk fix. Absolutely no questions asked. When I picked uit up they even told me one of the seals had a drop on it and they were not sure if it was starting to leak, so, they cleaned it off and they said be sure to come back just before you hit 70k miles and we will check it.

Will be replace under the 72 months 70k mile drive train warranty if they determine it is leaking at that time.

So far, so good for this first time Lexus owner.
I wonder if they replaced your driveshaft assembly or just greased the old one to fix the clunk.
Old 03-24-12, 07:12 PM
atokad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mbenz80
I wonder if they replaced your driveshaft assembly or just greased the old one to fix the clunk.
Replaced. Took them the TSB/Warranty info and made the appointment 3-4 days earlier so they could make sure to have the parts on hand.
Old 05-20-12, 02:48 PM
40mpgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
First I want to thank all the people that contribute here, makes it easier on a lot of people.

So about the clunk issue, i have an 06 with 77k, very noticeable clunk, feels like its getting worse. So I wanted to try the grease option first before shelling money for repair. Well, after getting underneath the truck I really wasn't sure what to grease and where? I hear the words splines and universl joints but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Can someone post a diagram or a photo perhaps of where exactly I'm supposed to grease?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-12, 08:16 PM
mbenz80
Rookie

Default Driveshaft grease point / fittings

Included picture should help you find all three (1, 2 & A) greasing points on each, front and rear driveshaft. Position your vehicle till all of these grease fittings are facing downward or up to 45 deg. angle to left (depending on your grease gun solid or flexible extention) to easy fitting access and grease gun lever operation.
Attached Thumbnails Clunk Fix with new TSB-dsc01950.jpg  
Old 06-01-12, 06:46 AM
Tsupra04
Driver School Candidate

Hey all - jjust chiming in, but just had the "clunk" fixed in my '06 with 72k miles on it. I bought the truck about a month ago, and once I figured out what was causing the problem (thanks to these forums), I took it to Lexus of Towson (north of Baltimore), and they fixed it at no cost to me despite the fact that it was over the TSB coverage limit. Highly recommend this dealer - they were excellent (not just saying that because they comp'd me the repair). And for the record, the parts were replaced, not just greased up. My truck is nice a smooth coming to a stop now....

Point is, even if you are over the milage/age limits, doesn't hurt to ask - some dealers might throw you a bone!
Old 06-20-12, 07:46 AM
JuLeX47
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer quotes the issue as "Internal failure on the rear drive shaft". Parts cost $349. Mine is out of factory warranty at only 20.4K miles but good thing I have aftermarket extended warranty to pick up the tab.
Old 06-28-12, 06:56 PM
Familylex
Driver School Candidate

I want to thank whoever put the post with the TSB to print off.
I took my wife's 2007 with 36k miles to the dealership today and the driveshaft was replaced under warranty(powertrain) and Clunk is GONE.

We have driven it like that for the past 3 months we have owned it, so today on the way home, we would stop and keep waiting on it to thump and it never did.....

Thanks for the help on this....
Old 06-30-12, 01:52 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Had our driveshaft replaced in our 2008 with 53 K miles this past Thursday. No problems, issues or cost. AND no more clunk! Thanks to all the previous posters.
Old 07-13-12, 10:41 PM
ActionJack
Driver School Candidate

Same thing here. I had my 2008 with 42K miles done with no questions. Thanks to all the other folks for paving the way!!!
Old 07-25-12, 08:46 AM
Handylex
Driver School Candidate

Can you tell me where to look for the post of the PDF of the TBS L-SB-0116-08?

Tanks

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB