GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 06:31 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lepoch
Well I took mine in yesterday and am going to pick it up now. Should be interesting... Stay tuned.
After about 50 miles of mixed highway/suburban driving, initial impressions are the suspension is tighter, like riding on setting four when I'm only on two. and the steering wheel is a little off center to the left, I'll check tire pressures tomorrow when they are cold.

That's about it so far. I raised and lowered the air suspension a few times, no thunk. Also no thunk while stopped at lights. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
Old 05-26-06, 08:58 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GGGXXX
this will help educate my dealership......most of the service reps are clueless and putting this in front of them will be a big plus.....
Most times when you tell the service department the TSB number, they will put a puss on because you found out something they are hoping the public doesn't find out about. But I say to bad. If they really knew their product and enjoyed their job, they would be up to date on the latest TSB's, techniques, etc., and be glad to help the customer.
Old 05-30-06, 05:23 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After about 50 miles of mixed highway/suburban driving, initial impressions are the suspension is tighter, like riding on setting four when I'm only on two. and the steering wheel is a little off center to the left, I'll check tire pressures tomorrow when they are cold.
I noticed the same thing but I just thought it was me.
Old 05-30-06, 03:54 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio

are these the side effects that we should expect if i get my GX fixed with the new TSBs??? anyone else who's done the new TSB, please post some feedback if ur getting the same observations. I wanna be sure I will not regret doing this..
Old 05-30-06, 05:07 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Another thing I noticed today is it seems like there is increased engine noise, but it has to be me. I can't imagine this fix changed the engine noise level.
Old 05-30-06, 07:09 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think those noticing a difference are just paying extra close attention to things. I was told that It is normal to have a stiffer ride initially with what is being replaced on this TSB. I'd be interested in reports after a few hundred miles.
Old 05-31-06, 05:08 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Another thing I noticed today is it seems like there is increased engine noise, but it has to be me. I can't imagine this fix changed the engine noise level.
I have not noticed any additional noise from the engine. Overall, I am very happy with the fix - the clunk is gone and when I release the breaks the GX no longer lurches forward with a strange feel. Rx900, I would get the fix and not even think twice about it - the stiffer suspension is not that bad and may just be in my mind and the steering wheel being just a hair off center probably is just the bad roads in Missouri. It seems like every road here is being resurfaced and nothing is level. If it becomes an issue I will have the dealer adjust it, but now the alignment is perfect.
Old 05-31-06, 01:46 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

I have not noticed any additional noise from the engine. Overall, I am very happy with the fix - the clunk is gone and when I release the breaks the GX no longer lurches forward with a strange feel. Rx900, I would get the fix and not even think twice about it - the stiffer suspension is not that bad and may just be in my mind and the steering wheel being just a hair off center probably is just the bad roads in Missouri. It seems like every road here is being resurfaced and nothing is level. If it becomes an issue I will have the dealer adjust it, but now the alignment is perfect.
ok. just checking before i decide on it. So how much stiffer, is it , or u think it is? is it very noticeable like putting 60psi in the tires (which i don't do), or maybe just in the mind??
Old 05-31-06, 04:01 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rx900
ok. just checking before i decide on it. So how much stiffer, is it , or u think it is? is it very noticeable like putting 60psi in the tires (which i don't do), or maybe just in the mind??
I think it is more of a tire thing, I think the body leans the same as it did before in turns, the tires just feel harder. Maybe it is because the air temp here went from mid 60's to mid 90's. Who knows...
Old 06-01-06, 05:08 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rx900
I would say very minor, probably in my mind but similar to overinflation in the tires.
Old 06-08-06, 02:50 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Had the fix done and put almost 400 miles on the truck with no ill-effects. I have not had the thump return thus far, and the truck rides and handles as it did pre-fix. I notice no difference in ride comfort, suspension or handling.
Old 06-08-06, 03:57 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

looks like no negative feedback yet. i still have to setup an appointment at my dealer to get it done, along with my 45k service.
Old 06-09-06, 04:48 PM
lepoch
Rookie

So far so good after about 700 miles.
Old 06-09-06, 07:24 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default anyone with KDSS had this done?

I don't think KDSS should make a difference but in case someone with KDSS had the driveshaft /control arms replaced - would appreciate the feedback/ ride quality/ etc...
Old 06-13-06, 10:27 AM
Ritzinger
Driver School Candidate

Default Should I buy another GX470

My lease is up at the end of this month. Other then the clunk the car has been good.

The dealer has offered me a new 06 GX470. 36 month lease, 18k per year. With third row, sat nav, dvd, back up camera, rear spoiler, tow packasge, lexus link, silver with grey inside.

$3,500 drive of, $732 a month. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, do the new one have the clunk? Why dont we see it mention in consumer reports or any of the other car mags?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB