Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Old 05-26-06, 06:31 PM   #61
lepoch
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoch
Well I took mine in yesterday and am going to pick it up now. Should be interesting... Stay tuned.
After about 50 miles of mixed highway/suburban driving, initial impressions are the suspension is tighter, like riding on setting four when I'm only on two. and the steering wheel is a little off center to the left, I'll check tire pressures tomorrow when they are cold.

That's about it so far. I raised and lowered the air suspension a few times, no thunk. Also no thunk while stopped at lights. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
lepoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 08:58 PM   #62
BobsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGXXX
this will help educate my dealership......most of the service reps are clueless and putting this in front of them will be a big plus.....
Most times when you tell the service department the TSB number, they will put a puss on because you found out something they are hoping the public doesn't find out about. But I say to bad. If they really knew their product and enjoyed their job, they would be up to date on the latest TSB's, techniques, etc., and be glad to help the customer.
BobsGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:23 AM   #63
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Quote:
After about 50 miles of mixed highway/suburban driving, initial impressions are the suspension is tighter, like riding on setting four when I'm only on two. and the steering wheel is a little off center to the left, I'll check tire pressures tomorrow when they are cold.
I noticed the same thing but I just thought it was me.

2012 GX 460 Premium Starfire Pearl - Sold
2004 GX 470 Blizzard Pearl - Sold
CdeFabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 03:54 PM   #64
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Send a message via AIM to Rx900 Send a message via Yahoo to Rx900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdeFabio

are these the side effects that we should expect if i get my GX fixed with the new TSBs??? anyone else who's done the new TSB, please post some feedback if ur getting the same observations. I wanna be sure I will not regret doing this..
2003 Lexus Gx470-Sand Dollar Pearl- Charcoal Interior-6Th GX470 in Fresno
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport- Millenium Silver- Perforated Black Leather Interior
Rx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:07 PM   #65
lepoch
Rookie

Quote:
Another thing I noticed today is it seems like there is increased engine noise, but it has to be me. I can't imagine this fix changed the engine noise level.
Old 05-30-06, 07:09 PM   #66
jugdish
Driver

I think those noticing a difference are just paying extra close attention to things. I was told that It is normal to have a stiffer ride initially with what is being replaced on this TSB. I'd be interested in reports after a few hundred miles.
jugdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-06, 05:08 AM   #67
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Quote:
Another thing I noticed today is it seems like there is increased engine noise, but it has to be me. I can't imagine this fix changed the engine noise level.
I have not noticed any additional noise from the engine. Overall, I am very happy with the fix - the clunk is gone and when I release the breaks the GX no longer lurches forward with a strange feel. Rx900, I would get the fix and not even think twice about it - the stiffer suspension is not that bad and may just be in my mind and the steering wheel being just a hair off center probably is just the bad roads in Missouri. It seems like every road here is being resurfaced and nothing is level. If it becomes an issue I will have the dealer adjust it, but now the alignment is perfect.

Old 05-31-06, 01:46 PM   #68
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
I have not noticed any additional noise from the engine. Overall, I am very happy with the fix - the clunk is gone and when I release the breaks the GX no longer lurches forward with a strange feel. Rx900, I would get the fix and not even think twice about it - the stiffer suspension is not that bad and may just be in my mind and the steering wheel being just a hair off center probably is just the bad roads in Missouri. It seems like every road here is being resurfaced and nothing is level. If it becomes an issue I will have the dealer adjust it, but now the alignment is perfect.
ok. just checking before i decide on it. So how much stiffer, is it , or u think it is? is it very noticeable like putting 60psi in the tires (which i don't do), or maybe just in the mind??
2001 Lexus RX300 Silversport- Millenium Silver- Perforated Black Leather Interior
Old 05-31-06, 04:01 PM   #69
lepoch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx900
ok. just checking before i decide on it. So how much stiffer, is it , or u think it is? is it very noticeable like putting 60psi in the tires (which i don't do), or maybe just in the mind??
I think it is more of a tire thing, I think the body leans the same as it did before in turns, the tires just feel harder. Maybe it is because the air temp here went from mid 60's to mid 90's. Who knows...
Old 06-01-06, 05:08 AM   #70
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx900
I would say very minor, probably in my mind but similar to overinflation in the tires.

Old 06-08-06, 02:50 PM   #71
jugdish
Driver

Had the fix done and put almost 400 miles on the truck with no ill-effects. I have not had the thump return thus far, and the truck rides and handles as it did pre-fix. I notice no difference in ride comfort, suspension or handling.
jugdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-06, 03:57 PM   #72
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

looks like no negative feedback yet. i still have to setup an appointment at my dealer to get it done, along with my 45k service.
Old 06-09-06, 04:48 PM   #73
lepoch
Rookie

So far so good after about 700 miles.
Old 06-09-06, 07:24 PM   #74
GGGXXX
Rookie

Default anyone with KDSS had this done?

I don't think KDSS should make a difference but in case someone with KDSS had the driveshaft /control arms replaced - would appreciate the feedback/ ride quality/ etc...
GGGXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 10:27 AM   #75
Ritzinger
Driver School Candidate

Default Should I buy another GX470

My lease is up at the end of this month. Other then the clunk the car has been good.

The dealer has offered me a new 06 GX470. 36 month lease, 18k per year. With third row, sat nav, dvd, back up camera, rear spoiler, tow packasge, lexus link, silver with grey inside.

$3,500 drive of, $732 a month. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, do the new one have the clunk? Why dont we see it mention in consumer reports or any of the other car mags?

Thanks.
Ritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 10:27 AM

Tags
470, 540i, bmw, clunk, drive, driveshaft, engine, gx, gx470, issued, lexus, odyssey, pnm5, shaft, tsb, tsbdl00207