GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 06:19 PM
MarioNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It is not a recall

This TSB is not a recall. It is covered under the powertrain warranty so if you are over the miles or the years given when the car was new , Lexus does not cover it and you have to pay for all the repairs. I know there was a revision on the original TSB and the new one says that only the driveshaft propeller needs to be replaced. no other parts.Lexus of Queens wanted to charge me $ 1,100 plus labor to replace the drive shaft. I went to another dealership in Brooklyn and bought the part for $ 321.00 and I replaced it my self. 8 screws and 45 minutes later (without a proffesional garage lift) the clunk is gone and the car runs like new again. If you dont have the time or the tools to do it yourself, buy the part and take it to your mechanic. He will not charge you more that $ 50 to replace it for you.
Old 06-27-11, 08:06 PM
oardila99
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarioNY
This TSB is not a recall. It is covered under the powertrain warranty so if you are over the miles or the years given when the car was new , Lexus does not cover it and you have to pay for all the repairs. I know there was a revision on the original TSB and the new one says that only the driveshaft propeller needs to be replaced. no other parts.Lexus of Queens wanted to charge me $ 1,100 plus labor to replace the drive shaft. I went to another dealership in Brooklyn and bought the part for $ 321.00 and I replaced it my self. 8 screws and 45 minutes later (without a proffesional garage lift) the clunk is gone and the car runs like new again. If you dont have the time or the tools to do it yourself, buy the part and take it to your mechanic. He will not charge you more that $ 50 to replace it for you.
Great information. Thank you! My gx doesn't have the "clunk" yet, but given the popularity of this issue, I'm expecting it.

At least it's not like the power inverter failure of the RX400h's at 60k miles..... a US$9,000 part, not including labor!

Again, thank you for the info.
Old 07-14-11, 12:56 PM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by oardila99
For those that have had the clunk issue, what was your milage when this occurred? For those that have experienced it while out of warranty, what was the cost to fix it? - My GX is fine, but a problem in this forum with nearly 100,000 views worries me.

OA
our GX exhibited this since day 1 with 19 miles on the odometer. Gradually becoming more frequent. After TSB, haven't felt it once.
Old 07-24-11, 09:36 AM
jmarciniak
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a certified pre owned 2006 gx470 in may of 2008. I just started to experience the clunk and after looking closer noticed that my factory warranty is expired. being that this tsb was released prior to me purchasing the vehicle, do i have a leg to stand on saying that this was a pre existing condition?

thanks
Old 07-26-11, 04:15 PM
Fineito
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello All - This is my first post but I have owned a 2006 GX 470 purchased new since June 2006. The car has been substantially problem free, and has been an excellent purchase for my family so far. I have noticed the clunk from time to time in the past, but not frequently enough for me to complain to my dealer, who has consistently serviced the car. I am bringing the car in tomorrow for a 40k inspection/oil change, and I intend to have the tech take a look at matters and have the service advisor inform me of my options/costs, should it ever get more annoying. I, too, like JMarciniak, am beyond the warranty period. I will inform the group of the dealer's response.
Old 07-29-11, 06:09 AM
Fineito
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my local dealer perform the 40k mini-inspection. I mentioned to them the clunk/TSB issue, but stated it did not occur frequently. I asked them to inform me of my options. Next thing I know, when my son picked up the car, I learned my dealer completed the TSB repair at no cost to me. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised and quite pleased. I have remained loyal to this dealer for all maintenance since purchasing the car. That may have been a consideration, I don't really know.
Old 07-29-11, 07:53 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fineito
I had my local dealer perform the 40k mini-inspection. I mentioned to them the clunk/TSB issue, but stated it did not occur frequently. I asked them to inform me of my options. Next thing I know, when my son picked up the car, I learned my dealer completed the TSB repair at no cost to me. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised and quite pleased. I have remained loyal to this dealer for all maintenance since purchasing the car. That may have been a consideration, I don't really know.
That's great news!
Old 08-11-11, 05:14 PM
hercpilot
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing. 07, 41K in St. Louis area. First got the well, it's out of warranty. But, fortunately I had spoken to someone on the phone earlier (make sure you get their name) so, I told the guy that it was covered under the power train warranty.

It was fixed no cost. Thanks guys for putting out the info!!
Old 08-11-11, 05:45 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hercpilot
I had the same thing. 07, 41K in St. Louis area. First got the well, it's out of warranty. But, fortunately I had spoken to someone on the phone earlier (make sure you get their name) so, I told the guy that it was covered under the power train warranty.

It was fixed no cost. Thanks guys for putting out the info!!
Kind of sucks that they lied to you, it's covered for 70K miles or 72 months
Old 09-03-11, 08:01 AM
khmer470
Rookie

has anyone in Portland Or done this under power train ?
Old 09-19-11, 01:23 PM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
I just recently replaced the shaft after the First was during the warranty itself. And felt it was high time due. Here is a DIY who want to do it. Hope it helps.
This is a great write up. I ordered the new shaft from Sewell today... only $270 shipped with the CL discount! This is a great sight, been lurking here for a while. My clunk is not very bad but I'd like it to be non-existent.
Old 09-19-11, 01:37 PM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mann777
I just recently replaced the shaft after the First was during the warranty itself. And felt it was high time due. Here is a DIY who want to do it. Hope it helps.
This is a great write up. I ordered the new shaft from Sewell today... only $270 shipped with the CL discount! This is a great sight, been lurking here for a while. My clunk is not very bad but I'd like it to be non-existent.
Old 09-19-11, 07:10 PM
tissimo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hmm, will have to order a drivershaft. Mine is clunking pretty bad.
Old 09-20-11, 09:24 AM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meyer65
Let us know how it works out. I may be ordering mine real soon
Old 09-26-11, 10:57 AM
meyer65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SmittysGX
Let us know how it works out. I may be ordering mine real soon
So I got the new drive shaft on Friday, Installed it on Saturday. Took about an hour. One of the nuts was real stubborn, I though I needed to rotate the drive shaft to get it out but with persistence it budged.

To add to the TSB and previous write-up, the tools you will need are:

Floor jack/jack stands or ramps
14mm Socket
14mm box wrench
17mm box wrench
torque wrench

You will need to use the torque wrench to break the bolts initially and for final tightening. Otherwise follow the directions of the previous write-up, they were very helpful.

I have only driven about 60 miles since replacing the shaft, and I can tell it is better. My clunk was only slight, but no sign of it yet (and I do not expect there to be). Worth buying at Sewell and doing yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined. I will update again after driving a little more. Please feel free to ask questions. Thanks Club Lexus!
Attached Thumbnails Clunk Fix with new TSB-gx-470-jacked-up.jpg  

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB