GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 02:03 PM
Salvator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
As for you service advisor saying the control arms are higher, he doesn't know what he is talking about. But thats nothing new for those people.
Par for the course... at least he didn't try to tell me there was no problem or he had never heard of it, unlike a BMW SA I dealt with once... described a situation perfectly to him, "Never had anybody else complain about something like that"... Found the TSB on the internet and showed it to him, "Oh, that's what you meant"...
Old 09-14-06, 09:53 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by Salvator
In the shop right now for the mirror fix...
Back from the shop... looks like they replaced the entire mirror head asembly (the body colored outer housing as well) as one unit, instead of replacing the actuator as identified in the TSB. My cost was N/C due to warranty, of course, but I saw the actual price they are going to charge Lexus, and it was almost $600! Anyway, they work fine thus far, no problems returning to their "pre-reverse" position... Can't tell if one mirror is vibrating slightly, will have to keep an eye on it... also, have a strange feeling that the mirror shape is slightly different, will have to park next to another GX to verify...
Old 09-14-06, 04:23 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salv - Please put discussions on any mirror problems in a different thread - search the archives or start a new one.

I am now past two months waiting for my clunk fix parts. I called one time and was assured they were ordered. This seems rather incredible based on discussions here. Perhaps I will stop by in person next week when I am in the area.
Old 09-14-06, 04:35 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Salv - Please put discussions on any mirror problems in a different thread - search the archives or start a new one.

I am now past two months waiting for my clunk fix parts. I called one time and was assured they were ordered. This seems rather incredible based on discussions here. Perhaps I will stop by in person next week when I am in the area.
Did you use Lawrence Lexus? I must have gotten in there at the early part of this fiasco, since it took them 2 weeks to have the parts come in. I can't imagine waiting 2 months!?
Old 09-14-06, 04:40 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Did you use Lawrence Lexus? I must have gotten in there at the early part of this fiasco, since it took them 2 weeks to have the parts come in. I can't imagine waiting 2 months!?
Yes - I seem to remember bringing mine in and requesting the tsb on July 12. How much earlier were you? How did they do with the fix?
Old 09-14-06, 04:43 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Yes - I seem to remember bringing mine in and requesting the tsb on July 12. How much earlier were you? How did they do with the fix?
I think I brought mine in around the middle to end of June. I believe my vehicle is fixed as I don't remember feeling the clunk anymore.

Tara is the best over there in service, but the ordering maybe out of her control at this time, since this TSB fix has everyone paranoid and wanting to get it fixed ASAP.
Old 09-15-06, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A co-worker of mine just made an appointment to have the TSB done. She was told the parts are on back order, it will take about 4 weeks. I guess the word is out, this TSB does work and everyone is jumping on board, thus the shortage in parts.
Old 09-15-06, 10:28 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

I'm scheduled to take mine in next Friday...

They said they have to inspect my car first!
Although I gave them the TSB#!?

They can't primise me a loaner car either?
Until they inspect my car and find the problem!?
That could take hours!!! What's up with that!?
May be I choose a wrong dealer....
Old 09-15-06, 12:06 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
I'm scheduled to take mine in next Friday...

They said they have to inspect my car first!
Although I gave them the TSB#!?

They can't primise me a loaner car either?
Until they inspect my car and find the problem!?
That could take hours!!! What's up with that!?
May be I choose a wrong dealer....
The dealership gave me a loaner and never questioned my request to have the TSB work done. However, there was a two month wait for the parts. I was called or emailed every couple weeks with a status.
Old 09-15-06, 04:47 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB's are not recalls, so there's no obligation on the dealer's part to perform the work unless your truck truly needs it. Thus the inspection.
Old 09-16-06, 04:13 AM
financedog
Driver School Candidate

I had the clunk fix performed on Wednesday. Drove the car 5 hours to Florida and no problems yet. I've fallen back in love with my car!
Old 09-21-06, 05:10 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

As it is now more than two months, I figured I would visit to ask what is happening with the parts.

The fellow at the dealer came out to discuss what is going on. He assured me I am in the queue and they are aware of the issue. He said around early July they started having problems getting the right parts - that some parts had actually come in but weren't correct. Supposedly there is some kind of problem getting the right parts to the New York area supply depot.

I just hope things are somewhat more efficient if there is a more major problem! At this point my clunk has actually gotten worse - not just a tap but more like a double bump when it does happen. However, collective experience doesn't show anybody actually getting stuck or safety issues, so it is just an annoyance I can live with for a while.
Old 09-26-06, 11:22 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Well... my car was at Lexus of Cerritos, CA yesterday for the "clunk fix". I was treated well and everything with loaner car and all....

But, I was told that...

The clunk noise on my car was not loud or significant enough?? to call it a defective. And, they consider the noise as normal at this point!!

And, even for those owners with louder noise... the replacement parts are back-ordered for a year!!!

I told the tech I want to be on that waiting list.
He said he need to talk to his manager... He'll get back to me...

I can't believe there hasn't bee a re-call for this problem, yet.... when people are lined up to get this thing fixed....
Old 09-26-06, 11:42 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
Well... my car was at Lexus of Cerritos, CA yesterday for the "clunk fix". I was treated well and everything with loaner car and all....

But, I was told that...

The clunk noise on my car was not loud or significant enough?? to call it a defective. And, they consider the noise as normal at this point!!

And, even for those owners with louder noise... the replacement parts are back-ordered for a year!!!

I told the tech I want to be on that waiting list.
He said he need to talk to his manager... He'll get back to me...

I can't believe there hasn't bee a re-call for this problem, yet.... when people are lined up to get this thing fixed....
Not loud enough? How are they measuring the noise level and what's the cut off??? A year to get the rear drive shaft and control arms??? I think you're getting the run around.
Old 09-26-06, 11:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would tell the service manager that you will file a complain with Lexus. Tell them that just because the cluck wasnt that bad when they test drove it for 10 minutes, that doesnt mean that when you drive it, the cluck is not worse. If you turn on AC on or adjust the rear air suspension, the cluck gets worst. BTW there will be no recall, its not a safety issue.

Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB