GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Clunk Fix with new TSB

Old 08-23-06, 09:38 PM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
Could you tell me what service advisor you dealt with? Also, when you went in for the repairs, did you require a loaner and how long did it take them to fix the problem? I live about an hour south of there and need to know how to plan. Also, what were your mirrors doing when you had them fixed? Thanks!
His name is Jason Hunter, nice guy. The TSIB states the clunk repair is a 2.5 hr job. The repair for the mirror actuator was 1.5 hr. So, yes I received a loaner--I actually asked for a 07 RX350 b/c I'm thinking about getting one for my wife. They happily provided me a practically new RX350 with only 3000 miles on it. Took it to work, let my wife drive it back to the dealer. I was impressed with it. Re: mirror problem, my passenger and driver side mirrors were not going back to the set memory positions after shifting out of reverse--they would tilt down like they're supposed to when I put the truck in reverse, but when I shifted out of reverse, they would only go about halfway up back towards the memory position so I had to continually adjust the mirrors. It was quite annoying, but no problems since the repair last week. Not sure how common the problem is, but there is a TSIB from May so it must be happening a fair amount in the GX.
Old 08-23-06, 09:49 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. When you called to schedule the TSB fix, did you tell them what problems you were having or just asked them to do the fix? Did they give you any hassle about the fix?
Old 08-23-06, 09:59 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Could you tell me the manufacture date of your GX from inside your front driver door? Mine is 02/06.
Old 08-23-06, 10:10 PM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

I told them that I was feeling the clunk. Jason knew exactly what I was talking about. They gave me no hassles about the repair. My build date was 10/05. You may want to drive your truck for a while to see if the clunk happens before you get the service performed. I don't know how common the problem is in the GX. I think the "clunk issue" has been addressed in the most recent build dates for the GX, but the initial TSIB was not issued until April 06, so it likely was not incorporated in your GX.
Old 08-24-06, 01:49 AM
llcc1975
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Move the switch where you adjust the mirrors, to one side or the other. In the middle position, the mirrors will not tilt when shifting to reverse.

~ Cap
Thanks Cap. That certainly worked.
Old 08-24-06, 09:31 AM
Salvator
Driver

Originally Posted by llcc1975
Salvator - I know this is a little off topic - what year GX do you have? Do all GX's have side mirrors that lower when shifting into reverse? I couldn't get mine to do it.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you... I see your questions have already been answered... however, for the sake of continuity, I have a 2006 GX, April build... Thus, I am expereincing the clunk and the mirror issue... My rear door latch is also sometimes (randomly) difficult to operate... anyone else have that problem?
Old 08-24-06, 10:29 AM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

It's so weird, I just tested my mirrors and am not having any mirror or significant clunk issues. My issue date on the inside of my front door is 02/06. I wonder why that is. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 08-24-06, 11:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 05 GX, and at first there was no cluck also, it started clucking at about 6 months old and gotten worst over time. I got the problem mirror as well, discover that problem when the truck was 4 months old. I didnt fix the mirror becuase I dont really use that tilt down function. I use the side mirrors to look at the rear when I am backing up.
Old 08-24-06, 12:59 PM
rho72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
It's so weird, I just tested my mirrors and am not having any mirror or significant clunk issues. My issue date on the inside of my front door is 02/06. I wonder why that is. Anybody have any thoughts?
The clunk and mirror problems were not immediate. I probably noticed the clunk after a few thousand miles of driving, and it progressively happened more frequently (1-2 x per week) until I had the repair done. The mirror problem was also sporadic initially (1st noticed around 5000 miles), but became pretty constant by my 2nd scheduled service visit (10000 miles). I would bet if your GX is going to have these issues, they'll declare themselves after you've put some more miles on it.
Old 08-28-06, 10:13 AM
xpeng
Driver School Candidate

The longo lexus told me I need wait a few months for the parts, there are thousands people waiting and the parts are backordered. How about you guys in southern CA?

update:
my car got fixed right away, I drop my car in the morning for 1-year service and checking the problem, was told need to wait a few months for parts. in the afternoon, called in, was told the work almost done. $140 for 1-year service, $860 for the fix(lexus warranty, $225 lab, $635 parts). didn't see any side-effect so far(11 miles).

Last edited by xpeng; 08-28-06 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 06:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I brought mine in last week and said that the parts were also back-ordered. They expect to get it in 2 weeks, so they'll give me a call. They are aware of the problem, hence the tsb on their computer and no questions asked.

I have about 16k miles and get the clunk on letting go of the brake after stopping or just after an initial stop. Once in a while, I get the double whammy
Old 08-30-06, 04:50 AM
cv470
Rookie

Me too now I get double when ever I come to a stop.I heard on the news that Lexus / toyota is going to slow down there production to concontrate on quatlity for a while
Old 08-30-06, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Not slow down production but Toyota plans to lengthen their design cycle, I heard all new schedule re-design Toyota release date will be push back.
Old 08-30-06, 07:36 AM
cv470
Rookie

That sounds good I still have not heard back from the dealer on my parts being in to take care of the clunk issue I will give them till next week.
Old 08-31-06, 06:31 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

In the Europe Wall St Journal over the weekend, the front page news was that Toyota was embarrased by quality problems including recalls. They will not be chasing production as much and will go back to basics of quality - -apparantely their President apoligized to the public in a news conference.

Well not sure how that will help with GX but hopefully they will be more proactive in working the TSBs and working the issues - -I know there have been a number of unsuccessful TSBs on the clunk --seems like this one has worked.

Last edited by GGGXXX; 09-02-06 at 06:08 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk Fix with new TSB