GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Problem With Vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 10:36 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With Vibration.

hey guys
Recently upgraded the wheels and tires on my Gx. Started noticing a steering vibration between the speeds of 60-70mph. Got my Wheels balanced and checked 3 times and at two different locations but the vibration is still there... its a very minor vibration... now the tireshop has ordered hub centric rings and that (according to him) should fix the vibration...
Any advice. Posting some pics of the car... the wheels do look rewarding and worth the problem.
Attached Thumbnails Problem With Vibration.-lex-with-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 04-08-06, 10:38 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default Another Pic.

Pls Send Me Advice Related To This Vibration Issue> Thanks>
Attached Thumbnails Problem With Vibration.-baby-with-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 04-09-06, 09:06 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Mounting to balancing machine may be the problem...

http://www.haweka.com/download/kits/...tor/Toyota.pdf

Check that your installer is using one of these when mounting the tire/wheel assembly to the balancer. This adapter plate holds the wheel to the balancer the same way the lug nuts do when the wheel is mounted on the truck.

Most Toyota trucks (4-Runner, Tundra, GX470, LX470, Land Cruiser, etc.) are very sensitive to this issue, to the extent that this part is even called for specifically in some service bulletins regarding vibration. I doubt that hub centric rings will take care of the problem.

If your installer doesn't have the right adapter plate, check with your Lexus dealer.
Old 04-09-06, 11:47 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

hey thanks for the advice... so these adapters weren't there on the factory rims...and there was no vibration then. but i will definately check on it.
Old 04-10-06, 10:23 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If your wheels are aftermarket, chances are they are lug centric. I put aftermarket wheels on my older Toyota truck, and I don't think they used any hub-centric adapter. I've yet to have any problems with balancing 65K mi later. The only wheels I know of that are hub-centric are the Toyota/Lexus OEM ones. Are you still using the same OEM tires or did you get new tires. Dunlops seem to be more problematic than Bridgestone or Michelin.
Old 04-10-06, 10:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Actually, I believe the OEM wheels are also lug centric, which is why Lexus explicitly calls for the use of the adapter plate when balancing tires on the GX. And you are right, the Dunlops are particularly bad with vibration (see TSIB ST002-05 on steering wheel vibration) relative to the Bridgestones and Michelins.
Old 04-12-06, 12:27 PM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

hey
The wheels i have are BOSS MOTORSPORT 304.. which r hub centric to GX...tires r high performace ventus ST... they have been dynamically balanced using those adapters but i still get the vibration around 60mph.. the vibration is very mild but still noticable.
as of now i've been told by my tireshop thats there's nothing wrong with the tires or the rims.. and they both r match mounted. my tireshop expert thinks its the UT joint or Driveshaft which is causing the vibration. I called lexus and booked an appoint ment. my car has 60000 on it so its still under warranty. after lexus checks up on my driveshaft and steering UT joint.. i will get to know if thats the problem.. if thats not the case... then my last option would be to get for ONCAR SPin Balancing.. where they balance the tires while its still on ur car.. this way if your rotors or drums are unbalanced coz of any reason...(which can cause vibration as well) can be balanced as well.. and is the best way of balancing.
Old 04-15-06, 12:06 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey everyone

Everyone Who"s Upgraded Thier Tires N Wheels >>> Can Pls Tell Me About Thier Experience>> The Wheel Ur Using>>> The Tires Ur Using>>>> Any Hub Ring If Your Using What Size>>>> If You Noticed Or Experienced Any Problems At All>>>> Please Help Me Out Here> Thanks>
Old 04-16-06, 06:12 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/technical/4127T/4127t.cfm You have to look for the nearest shop that has this machine and your problems w'll be solved. check this thread out https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex
Old 04-21-06, 08:35 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My does the same at 55 to 65mph. I had it force balanced, still experience the problem once in a while, especially in the morning. But i notice once i apply hard braking it seen to go away. The steering vibration come and go. The tire shop don't know what causing it. My wheel are hub centric so i know that not the problem.
Old 04-25-06, 01:00 AM
sayadil
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by peterGX470
My does the same at 55 to 65mph. I had it force balanced, still experience the problem once in a while, especially in the morning. But i notice once i apply hard braking it seen to go away. The steering vibration come and go. The tire shop don't know what causing it. My wheel are hub centric so i know that not the problem.
Well i recently went for an overall checkup of my drive shaft suspension steering system. Lexus took it for 5 hrs and told me theres nothing wrong with anything. they suspect its the wheel n tires.
I took it back to the tireshop.. and they have ordered a custom made hub ring which will fill the tiny gap between the wheel n the hub.. The wheels r hub centric but there's still a minor gap.
If that doesn' take care of the problem.. then i would have to go for .. ONCAR balancer.. which is slightly expensive but the last resort.
Did you install a hub ring with ur rim..? how many kilometers on ur truck..? is the vibration in steering only or u feel it on the floor?? what tires did you get??