GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front guard for GX

Old 04-07-06, 12:46 PM
rklages
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rest my case - the pics prove it, looks good on the 4runner, not as good on the GX!

ROb
Old 04-07-06, 01:26 PM
malhokc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rklages
I rest my case - the pics prove it, looks good on the 4runner, not as good on the GX!

ROb
Keep in mind the push bar is different on the 4 runner than the big front grills on the GX. There are some nicer push bars by (T &H) that will look good on the GX. I'm currently looking into them myself.
Old 04-07-06, 09:13 PM
GXPrado
Driver

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
ive hit cars with my center guard on my LX and it doesnt move at all bro. ive also hit things like shopping carts and launched them across parking lots and a few other roadside objects that were fun to punt.
your parents must be so proud, bro.
Old 04-07-06, 09:34 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mothers only watched me hit the garbage cans in the morning when the garbage men put them in the middle of the driveway when their done emptying them out. Also its not her car anymore so she could care less what i do to it, because she knows that if i break it doing something stupid i wont be getting another car.
Old 04-08-06, 09:14 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Also its not her car anymore so she could care less what i do to it, because she knows that if i break it doing something stupid i wont be getting another car.
Sorry Bro, it doesn't work like that. Hitting other cars and shopping carts across the lot can have consequences beyond a few dings on a car.

"Do what you want, you are not getting another car" does not mean that. Trust me.

A Mom
Old 04-08-06, 05:23 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone for your input!

Hi all,
Thank you all so much for your input! Someone asked if we are looking to fix a front guard for cosmetic reasons..well my husband wants it for safety reasons and if he's going to get it then I want to make sure as far as possible that the look of the vehicle is not ruined...
1LoudLX - yep I will google and thanks for welcoming me to the board, though I've been here before : took the advice of all the wonderful people on this board before we bought our GX

wlee69, malhokc, lexbuddy : thanks for the weblinks and advice. We shall definitely look into it.

TexGX, 1LoudL, 1Percenter and kokohead: Thanks for posting pics of your vehicles. The pics will really help us decide.

Mel
2006 Titanium Silver GX470 sports model - grey seats/black maple wood interior - fully loaded
Old 04-10-06, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The brush guards are not a safety feature, it will interfare with the front air bag sensors.
Old 04-10-06, 05:58 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: These guards look very un-Lexus to me, but that's just my opinion

Me too......but to each his own.
Old 04-10-06, 09:03 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs_girl
Hi everyone,
We are considering fixing a Front guard at the front end of our GX (Similar to the one that the MB M class has) I checked the Lexus web site and it seems as though they do not offer it as an accessory.

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells front-guards for the Lexus GX ?

If any of you have fixed one already, we would love to see pics of your GX

Thanks,
Mel

2006 Titanium Silver GX470 sports model - grey seats/black maple wood interior - fully loaded
Takes away from the appearance IMHO...They look nice on sporty SUVs but really don't look good on the GX from what I have seen.
CV
Old 04-10-06, 07:23 PM
lexbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
The brush guards are not a safety feature, it will interfare with the front air bag sensors.
Hello,

That's not exactly accurate for all manufacturers as some are positioned lower then others, besides the impact of the guard against the bumper will trigger the airbag.... that is why actually guards like MANIC... (full wraparound) would probably not be the best choice... nonetheless the sensors would get triggered on most other LOW guards... esp. T&H EURO type guards... which, incidently look really good all-in-all and I am not even a propnent of guards on the GX (since most DO look pretty bad).... on the same not GX IS A SPORT Utilit Vehicle, not sure what was meant by SPORTIER SUVs... they are all sporty (ie the S in SUV)... I don't see a picture of T&H Euro hand right now... but I would go with that... there is a post of a 4runner with it above..

thanks
Old 04-18-06, 08:24 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree with Gman, these bull bar are not a safety issue. To make a long story short, my friend gotting into a front end accident with his 2005 GX470, sued the Lexus because the front air bag didn't deployed on time to protect his face hitting the stering wheel. Lexus lawyer provide fact stating they don't recommend Bull bar or brush gaurd or sell them because it delay the inpact of the front airbag sensors.

That is why they don't make a bull bar for the GX or any other Lexus SUV. That is why when you ask the dealer if they make one for your GX they will tell you if you put one on they will void the warranty for front impact airbag sensor, some crap like that.

In a nut shell, he lost the law sue. Same lawyer who sue Ford for there seat belt not working proper and won million in damage. But he lost this case.

Install them at your own risk. Even the aftermarket will warn you to check with your dealership before installing it. It there way of covering there ***.

SO enjoy it! it may look good but is your life and family worth it??

Last edited by peterGX470; 04-18-06 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-19-06, 01:09 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

My lexus dealership sells the full WAAG brushguard as an option for the LX. I dont think they have anything for the GX. When i ordered my centerguard they didnt metion anything to me about airbag sensors or any little warning in the packaging.
Old 04-19-06, 07:34 PM
peterGX470
Driver

My lexus dealership sells the full WAAG brushguard as an option for the LX. I dont think they have anything for the GX. When i ordered my centerguard they didnt metion anything to me about airbag sensors or any little warning in the packaging.
Just so you know, some dealship will sell aftermarket accessories not with the LEXUS name on it to make more money on the vehicle. That how they make money by selling add on accessories. If Lexus don't make them they will find it for you. But they know what the odd that you will sue them in an accident. Chances are your insurance will pay for the damage. So they take that chances until someone sue them big time, than they will inforce there policy .

Most dealership will not install aftermarket item not made by there manufacture. Because people have sued them in the past and they just don't want the hassel. The dealership that break the rule have insurance that cover there *** in case of law sue. So they don't care, they will sell you anything to make a buck out of you.
Old 04-19-06, 07:35 PM
GSKING430
Driver

Default front bumber

This is a stock bumper. I had it put on before I took delivery. It doesn't have a plate on the front because it looks better. It also says GX470 where the plate would go but it's hard to see. This is a Lexus part not aftermarket
Attached Thumbnails Front guard for GX-picture-237.jpg  
Old 04-19-06, 07:37 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Originally Posted by GSKING430
This is a stock bumper. I had it put on before I took delivery. It doesn't have a plate on the front because it looks better. It also says GX470 where the plate would go but it's hard to see. This is a Lexus part not aftermarket
Yes, but look how close it is to the bumper!, now look at the aftermarket bull bar. why do you think Lexus make them so close to the bumper. these are not the same as the bull bar or brush guard. What does Lexus call this, a Sport Bumper trim, not bull bar or brush guard.

Last edited by peterGX470; 04-19-06 at 07:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front guard for GX