GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wind noise?

Old 01-27-06, 06:38 PM
gxrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise?

How much is too much when it comes to wind noise on the GX470, I have a '05 and it seems like I get a lot of it cruising at 60 or greater...to the point it can be overwhelming. There doesn't seem to be much complaint about wind noise thought these forums so I must be getting shafted. So, is it just my GX or is anyone else have or had this problem and how did you fix it or address it with the dealership?

I took it in last month and the service manager told me that it due to the oversized side mirrors. Granted yes, but come on...they don't create that big of a noise.

Help needed!!! Thanks in advance fellow GXers/
Old 01-27-06, 08:03 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Its noisy

Its not you - I've had 2 GX's and they are certainly "noisy" at high speeds - a lot noisier than my RX or SC. I've gotten used to it but its less "Lexus-like" than the other vehicles I have owned.
Old 01-27-06, 08:16 PM
ABDULLATIF
Driver School Candidate

I hd 2 gx and theyare noisy the dealer told me all gx have the same problem"due to the roof rack"
Old 01-27-06, 08:36 PM
25cliffy
Rookie

Default I must be lucky...

Had my '04 Gx for 11 months now and have over 30K miles on her. Can't say I've had any problem with wind noise at high speed (or any speed) I live in the Colorado River valley of Arizona and typically get high winds this time of year, but that's the only time the noise is really noticeable as it would be in any vehicle in these conditions. I drive the tar out of this viehicle and it's remarkably more quiet than my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited! I'm very happy with the lack of wind noise and don't really notice it. Of course this is the first really nice car I've ever owned so maybe I don't know any better - but "overwhelming" wind noise ain't happenin' here - sorry. Double check that all the weather stripping is in tact and there aren't any noticeable gaps.... Having a newer vehicle the dealership should be more than happy to look it over for you and take care of any possible problems they might find. High speed wind noise may be unavoidable, but the severity of the noise you describe sounds problematic. Let your dealership take car of it for you. You paid for it already - let them make it right for you!

CcS
Old 01-27-06, 09:03 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it a head wind or side wind it very noisy on my GX, Tail wind are smooth, not a problem. I love to cruise on the high way with a tail wind.
Old 01-27-06, 09:05 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 25cliffy
Had my '04 Gx for 11 months now and have over 30K miles on her. Can't say I've had any problem with wind noise at high speed (or any speed) I live in the Colorado River valley of Arizona and typically get high winds this time of year, but that's the only time the noise is really noticeable as it would be in any vehicle in these conditions. I drive the tar out of this viehicle and it's remarkably more quiet than my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited! I'm very happy with the lack of wind noise and don't really notice it. Of course this is the first really nice car I've ever owned so maybe I don't know any better - but "overwhelming" wind noise ain't happenin' here - sorry. Double check that all the weather stripping is in tact and there aren't any noticeable gaps.... Having a newer vehicle the dealership should be more than happy to look it over for you and take care of any possible problems they might find. High speed wind noise may be unavoidable, but the severity of the noise you describe sounds problematic. Let your dealership take car of it for you. You paid for it already - let them make it right for you!

CcS
I think the truck is relatively quiet at freeway speeds (compared to an ES330 or GS400). There's no way the mirrors cause excessive noise. The roof rack has caused problems for some owners. The noise is horrendous if a back window is lowered during freeway speeds.
Old 01-28-06, 05:38 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

GXRex,

Check this out, ran across this on us.lexusownersclub.com, this might alleviate your problems with wind noise, have your dealer check it out...

I am new here--I have an 05 GX and mine is quiet too--I am a Lexus master tech here and have found a few GX's complaining of excess wind noise--make sure the roof rack cross bars are properly aligned--when they come in new and I do pre-delivery preps to them, you have to install roof rack cross bars and rear end covers (left off from factory to prevent damage when loaded on transport truck)--on the inside track of each rail (long part on either side of roof) the factory places a center punch mark with a white painted dot to align the front of crossbar to--these are located 2 on each side on the INSIDE of track (kinda hard to see)
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=25124

-Alex
Old 01-28-06, 06:36 AM
gxrex
Driver School Candidate

cool, will check it out.

thnks
Old 01-28-06, 07:50 AM
25cliffy
Rookie

Default See....

that's why these forums work so well!! Welcome GXREX - what part of AZ do you hail from?

CcS
Old 01-28-06, 06:30 PM
gxrex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 25cliffy
that's why these forums work so well!! Welcome GXREX - what part of AZ do you hail from?

CcS
I'm in the Phoenix area. Gotta tell ya' those rubberized AZ roads sure do complement the GX, don't they?
Old 01-28-06, 09:20 PM
Donger
Driver

Originally Posted by gxrex
I'm in the Phoenix area. Gotta tell ya' those rubberized AZ roads sure do complement the GX, don't they?
I'll second that - they complement just about any vehicle.
Old 01-30-06, 04:59 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same problem. I had the dealer tighten the black rubber strips that are on the sides of the windshield and go up into the roof rack. Mine were very lose and actually coming up. The passenger side was worse than the drivers side. They somehow tighten them and the wind noise is less but still there. I will have to check the crossbars tonight, great tip!
Old 01-30-06, 01:17 PM
tgergen
Rookie

I guess it is all perspective. Our GX seems really quiet to me...but I guess my other car is quite noisy...but my wife has never complained (about the GX that is). lol
Old 01-30-06, 07:38 PM
gxrex
Driver School Candidate

Well, went to the dealership where I bought my 05 and test drive an 06 and I pretty much experianced the same wind noise effect that I have been getting with my 05.. I guess its normal. What are the odds of test driving another GX and getting the same experiance? I did move my luggage bars forwards and back as far as they can go. Checked all the seals and weather strips and they all seem in tact. It helped a bit but not much. Will have to live with it. Its not all that bad but expected more from a luxury vehicle.