GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Alcohal In premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 01:57 PM
darrellk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohal In premium gas

I live in Missouri where it seems the premium gas contains 10% alcohal. When I last bought gas, the premium gas was 3 cents cheaper the regular. My question is: can I safely burn premium gas that contains 10% alcohal in my 06 GX 470?

Darrell

Last edited by darrellk; 01-20-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-20-06, 02:02 PM
stl2chi
Rookie

Default should be able to

I live in chicago... but I'm in STL at least three times a year..... I have had no problem in my 05..... I always fill up with premium there..... the gas prices are so much cheaper than here!
Old 01-20-06, 06:59 PM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by stl2chi
I live in chicago... but I'm in STL at least three times a year..... I have had no problem in my 05..... I always fill up with premium there..... the gas prices are so much cheaper than here!
Thanks for your reply. The local Toyota service manager said pretty much what you are saying."the engine might run a little hotter, but will cause no harm" So far I can't tell any diference. Thanks again.

Darrell
Old 01-23-06, 05:45 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you mean ethanol. In St. Louis all gas is a mix of ethanol and gas (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline) to reduce emissions. I live in St. Louis and always use premium gas from Mobil, Shell, or BP and never have any problems. You will be fine.
Old 01-23-06, 06:03 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Some more reassurance... From the manual

in my '04:

Cleaner burning gasoline
Cleaner burning gasoline, including reformulated gasoline that contains oxygenates such as ethanol or MTBE is available in many areas. Lexus recommends the use of cleaner burning gasoline and appropriately blended reformulated gasoline. These types of gasoline provide excellent vehicle performance, reduce vehicle emissions, and improve air quality.

Oxygenates in gasoline
Lexus allows the use of oxygenate blended gasoline where the oxygenate content is up to 10% ethanol or 15% MTBE. If you use gasohol in your Lexus, be sure that it has an octane rating no lower than 87. Lexus does not recommend the use of gasoline containing methanol.
Old 01-23-06, 05:48 PM
darrellk
Rookie

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I believe you mean ethanol. In St. Louis all gas is a mix of ethanol and gas (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline) to reduce emissions. I live in St. Louis and always use premium gas from Mobil, Shell, or BP and never have any problems. You will be fine.
You are correct, it is ethanol at a10% mix. Thanks for info
Old 01-23-06, 08:06 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Curious about mileage with ethanol:

Is it lower?
Old 01-24-06, 05:21 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JWS3
Is it lower?
Good question, but I don't know the answer. I have never done a comparison, sorry.
Old 01-24-06, 03:43 PM
Mwarfiel
Driver School Candidate

Default Ethanol mix may slightly reduce gas mileage as well

The most efficient fuel is actually diesel based upon the BTU’s (measurement of Heat / Power produced when ignited. Keeping my fingers crossed that Toyota develops a diesel engine similar to VW Tourag diesel engine delivering over 400-horse power with a ton of torque.

Anytime tgasoline is mixed with a lower Btu additive, the Btu will be lowered and our engines will adjust to the fuel, but may result in slightly lower fuel economy. Doubt you would ever notice it, but interesting all the same....

1 gallon of gasoline = 124,000 Btu
1 gallon of diesel fuel = 139,000 Btu
1 gallon of Methanol = 8,600 Btu
1 gallon of Ethanol = 11,500 Btu
Old 01-25-06, 11:03 PM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

Late 2004, either the Sierra Club or EPA released a study that demonstrated that tailpipe emissions from oxygenated gasoline (such as 10% ethanol or MTBE) were actually greater than conventional gasoline.

ADM, the largest producer of ethanol (and biggest lobbyist) in the US, disagrees.
Old 01-27-06, 06:46 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmmmmm......I read somewhere that the gas companies put more alcohal in their product during winter months, I wonder if that is the reason why I get poorer gas mileage in the winter time.
Old 01-27-06, 10:30 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hmmmmmm......I read somewhere that the gas companies put more alcohal in their product during winter months, I wonder if that is the reason why I get poorer gas mileage in the winter time.
The oxygenated fuel that they sell in the US during the winter months always gives less mpg than the normal fuel they sell during the rest of the year. Its been this way for years now.
Old 01-27-06, 12:13 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There used to be some sort of law in NJ mandating the changeover to oxy gas in October- it was supposed to be done for environmental (pollution) reasons.

I'm not sure if it is still law - even if it is disproven there is always a lag between fact and action. At one point there was a lot of grumbling that people were feeling sick from the emmissions.
Old 02-01-06, 05:01 PM
Tipler
Pit Crew

I'm a newbie here..I've been told to use a higher octane gas.. mid grade . my problem I have is egg smell .. The dealer put a new catalac converter on my GX470 .. II ran a few tanks empty and filled with BP gas only ..
any one else having this problem with gas ..??

Great site ..

Tipler
Old 02-16-06, 11:49 PM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tipler
I'm a newbie here..I've been told to use a higher octane gas.. mid grade . my problem I have is egg smell .. The dealer put a new catalac converter on my GX470 .. II ran a few tanks empty and filled with BP gas only ..
any one else having this problem with gas ..??

Great site ..

Tipler

The egg smell is sulfur. Some of the older refineries produce higher sulfur gasoline, but the standard for sulfur is changing this year or next, so you will should not have the problem any longer by the end of the year. I think the new standard is 80 ppm, which will resolve your problem. Try another major refinery that doesn't exchange or purchase barrels from the local BP refinery. I say major brand because if it's an independent brand, they may be purchasing barrels from BP anyway.

Quick Reply: Alcohal In premium gas