GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Updated navigation disc - anyone install it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 07:48 AM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Updated navigation disc - anyone install it?

Is it a do it yourself? Does it change the functionality of the NAV at all? Was it worth it? I have an '05 and have been thinking of getting the updated disc. Any advice?

Thanks
Old 01-10-06, 09:16 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Some people here have done it. It's as simple as swapping the DVD in the box under the front passenger seat.

However, I don't think it updates anything beyond the maps. At least one person here with an '04 updated it hoping to get the cooler graphics and other features on the '05 system, but all he got was more up-to-date maps.
Old 01-11-06, 09:04 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just updates maps (streets, addresses, etc.), plus a more current list of attractions, restaurants, and phone numbers.

I was thinking about doing it on my '05 as they are building out so many roads in my area, but I heard (don't know if it is true) that it takes several years from the time a road is completed until it actually makes it to the digitized version (not a Lexus thing, but the companies that supply them the electronic map data).

So I think I'll wait a bit more. It would be nice to take a new DVD for a quick spin to see if it has the stuff you need before dropping the money on one.
Old 01-11-06, 09:07 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 05 guys dont update yet

If you bought your GX in 05 I would wait till at least January 07 to see a big difference in new streets. 03 and 04 users should update to the 06 DVD since they will see the most added streets and address as well as POIs.
Old 01-16-06, 03:59 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool Installation is extremely easy ... no screwdriver needed

Originally Posted by db6
Is it a do it yourself? Does it change the functionality of the NAV at all? Was it worth it? I have an '05 and have been thinking of getting the updated disc. Any advice?

Thanks
If you are curiuos about updating the Nav DVD on a '04 GX, it is ridiculously easy. Move the passenger seat forward, and there are two tabs to open the back cover. Move a slide locking lever to the side and access the eject button. With the truck "on", eject the DVD - insert the new DVD and the computer will update (do not turn the truck off while updating the operating software). I have not been able to locate any "new" data as yet, but I do know it blows away ALL of your "save" points and previous destinations. Once, installed you cannot go back to the old DVD since your operating system was updated. I did notice that some phone numbers where added to businesses that did not have them before. Not that I can use them with a bluetooth connection But, they are in there if you care to dial them seperately.
It does not seem to change the operation of the "Weclome" screen or using Nav interface while driving. But, the over-ride still works. Good Luck.
Old 01-16-06, 05:13 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Originally Posted by ADVocate
If you are curiuos about updating the Nav DVD on a '04 GX, it is ridiculously easy. Move the passenger seat forward, and there are two tabs to open the back cover. Move a slide locking lever to the side and access the eject button. With the truck "on", eject the DVD - insert the new DVD and the computer will update (do not turn the truck off while updating the operating software). I have not been able to locate any "new" data as yet, but I do know it blows away ALL of your "save" points and previous destinations. Once, installed you cannot go back to the old DVD since your operating system was updated. I did notice that some phone numbers where added to businesses that did not have them before. Not that I can use them with a bluetooth connection But, they are in there if you care to dial them seperately.
It does not seem to change the operation of the "Weclome" screen or using Nav interface while driving. But, the over-ride still works. Good Luck.
Would this same procedure work for a 03? I was planning on updating the navi software on our 03. Where can I get the most recent navi software (ie 06)?
Old 01-16-06, 09:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Would this same procedure work for a 03? I was planning on updating the navi software on our 03. Where can I get the most recent navi software (ie 06)?
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=73&ModelID=89
Old 01-17-06, 02:48 PM
shah
Driver School Candidate

can anyone tell me from where i can download the updated version ?
Old 01-17-06, 06:57 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Shah,

There is no "download" available for the update, (I WISH it were though), you'll have to purchase this...

-Alex
Old 01-17-06, 07:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by shah
can anyone tell me from where i can download the updated version ?
Shah, I hope you're asking about a legitimate download upgrade, because we do not allow any discussion about software piracy on our forum .
Old 01-17-06, 08:56 PM
Sammzway
Rookie

Thanks Bob.
Old 01-17-06, 08:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammzway
Thanks Bob.
Sam, please be sure to use our ClubLexus discount code for 10% off at Lexus-Parts / Sewell

As a gesture of our appreciation to our Lexus clients, we are offering a ten-percent discount to anyone that is a Club Lexus member. To help facilitate this discount, CL members are asked to enter a discount code during the checkout process. The current discount code is “CL911M”
Old 01-18-06, 01:38 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by db6

Thanks
under the passenger seat. very easy to get to. move the seat all the way fwd. and ull see it. ull need a flat head screw driver
Old 01-18-06, 06:08 AM
shah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Shah, I hope you're asking about a legitimate download upgrade, because we do not allow any discussion about software piracy on our forum .
no, What i meant that where iam living ryte now they don't ship here so i'll pay online and download from there site. Iam against piracy aswell!
Old 01-18-06, 06:18 AM
Lvangundy

This may be irrelevant, but I updated to the 05 NAV in my GS. The install was simple, and only updated map / route info.

There's this one starbucks near my house, and rigth across Toyota corporate that still isn't in there though. LOL. It's been bugging me since the 01 version.

Quick Reply: Updated navigation disc - anyone install it?