GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to... remove speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-06, 07:11 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question How to... remove speed limiter

GX470 has a speed block (limit) around 115 -120 miles/hour anyone knows how to remove that block (limit)?
So the car can go faster?
Old 01-07-06, 10:00 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX electronically limited to 112MPH

GX electronically limited to 112MPH
Old 01-08-06, 08:22 AM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Default remouving it

how can i remove the limit?
Old 01-08-06, 09:07 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to? Planning on running NASCAR with it?
Old 01-09-06, 11:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Take the GX up to 112 MPH and you will know why the speed limiter is there. My bet is that you will not want to remove it after that.
Old 01-09-06, 02:25 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

i did that and i need it removed!!!
Old 01-09-06, 02:40 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If you really have a death wish, the speed governor in the ECU unit. Here is a link to a URD Dyno Speed Unlimiter for the 4runner, it should work since they have the same engine.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=120000007
Old 01-09-06, 05:46 PM
joeGX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ELEX470
how can i remove the limit?
Older people like you who afraid to die should not drive fast. If you have the need for speed than get a corvette or some sort of sport car that can handle the speed or if than not enough than strap yourself to an Acme rocket and blow youseft up like the Wile E. Coyote.

You like to drive fast but afraid of death so you get a bigger automobile think you could cheat death.
Old 01-13-06, 01:17 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default This thread is worthless without pics....

of the Idiot trying to runa GX up to 150MPH that is. I suspect that the GX probably can't go much faster than the 112/120 limit anyway due to wind resistance. How doe sthe original poster actually KNOW that the limit was not an electronic device but may rather have been the vehicle pratical limit due to wind?
Old 01-13-06, 02:06 PM
robinzon
Driver

To BUNKA and others... while I do NOT condone driving above the speed limit or removing speed limiters (unless you live in Europe)... you should be a bit more knowledgeable about automobiles before posting useless crap... wind resistance has nothing to do with the speed attainable if its there at 65mph it will be there just as much at 100mph, most cars are tested in a wind tunnel at much higher wind speeds since in this country its almost impossible not to have crosswinds and I have drive in 60-70mph crosswinds on bridges at 65mph so you do the math... as far as speed limiters there are there for different reasons mostly for you not to burn your engine and not neccssarily for you not to pass the speed limit since if that was the cause it would be at 85mph (highest speed limit in this country) besides I had a 300zx and my speed limiter was at 145mph and I assure you that driving at 145 and 155 is quite the same (I have drive in europe at such speeds where IT IS legal)... again, I don't think there is a need to drive above 80 really... at least not in US where most people don't know how to drive to begin with (esp in TX and NJ where when people get on the road they loose their commons sense).

Old 01-13-06, 02:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The VVi V8 will go much faster than 112 MPH, believe me.
Old 01-14-06, 06:52 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robinzon
To BUNKA and others... while I do NOT condone driving above the speed limit or removing speed limiters (unless you live in Europe)... you should be a bit more knowledgeable about automobiles before posting useless crap... wind resistance has nothing to do with the speed attainable if its there at 65mph it will be there just as much at 100mph, most cars are tested in a wind tunnel at much higher wind speeds since in this country its almost impossible not to have crosswinds and I have drive in 60-70mph crosswinds on bridges at 65mph so you do the math... as far as speed limiters there are there for different reasons mostly for you not to burn your engine and not neccssarily for you not to pass the speed limit since if that was the cause it would be at 85mph (highest speed limit in this country) besides I had a 300zx and my speed limiter was at 145mph and I assure you that driving at 145 and 155 is quite the same (I have drive in europe at such speeds where IT IS legal)... again, I don't think there is a need to drive above 80 really... at least not in US where most people don't know how to drive to begin with (esp in TX and NJ where when people get on the road they loose their commons sense).

Good point about in Germany but if that was the case, the poster was the one who SHOULD have prefaced his statements with "Since I am in germany, I'd like too..." But then again I think most of us would expect that the German version would ALREADY come with higher limits or already have the limiter removed (as they do with the other cars such as BMW & Benz).

However, the effects of wind resistance is NOT a trival factor. I DO know a fair amount about cars (check my sig for a few I've owned and compare it to what you've driven). I have been close to the NASCAR world for over 40 years and the wind resistance is a REAL phenomonom, not just some fantasy as you would have others here believe. If it wasn't for wind resistance, EVERYTHING could go a lot faster. As the vehicle gets larger, it also has a larger cross-section which must displace more and more air. Moving a large bodied truck through the air is NOT the same thing as moving a sleek performance car through the air. While the GX's v8 "may" be able to push it to a certain point easily (say passing a car), it's still going to run into issues attributable to wind resistance at higher speeds. In fact, the effects of wind on a vehicle increase exponetially as speed is increased so your falicy of "still being there at speed is only partially correct. The power will still be there but the effects of wind resistance would place higher and higher demands on it's effect.

Haven't you seen the posts on here where some are only getting to 110MHP one day but can't get much over 105 the next day? Do you really think that is just a fluke? Remember that the '04 models only have 235HP and may not be able to exceed 105MPH with a headwind. The '05 and up do have the vvt engine and therefore may perform better at speed (but probably not a whole lot - "maybe 120" IMHO).

Supporting credits - I've been 155MPH on the track. I've been 155MPH on the interstate with a car DESIGNED to go that fast and yes, it had a speed limiter on it @ that 155 mark. I've been 80MPH on the water in a hydroplane boat that only weighed 150lbs WITH ME IN IT when I was 16 that had set the World speed record (for that size boat) boat previously owned by Henry Shakeshaft and set record in 1981 and I restored to original condition as a summer project. Wind resistance is EVERYTHING in that type of boat since it floats on air 98% of the time. In addition, I also rode in a buddies offshore boat who had offshore boats who's twin engines made upwards of 1200HP and was in one that went 135MPH off Miami. Try to tell those guys that wind resistance "doesn't mean anything" and you will some a good chukle. So yea, I DO know a LOT about the subject of wind resistance. Of course, it's not worth my time to determine cross-sections of a GX as 120MPH but I highly doubt iif my '04 GX could extend much beyond the 110MPH figure based on my experiences with the truck.

I also owned a CJ7 while I was in high school. It had a 6-cylinder engine and could go 80MPH. Was this because the engine wasn't able to exceed that level or that it had a limiter on it? Nope, it was STRICTLY due to WIND RESISTANCE vs. displacement. It could go as fast as 95MPH when I had a 10 MPH tailwind to assist. So, yep, I do speak from a level of experience you (in fact) may well lack (unless you tell me you also use to race hydros and worked for NASCAR and ....) so you may want to be a little more carefull about assumptions you create while you are online young (I assuem from your statements) man.

The point is... If you wanted a car to "go fast", you should have BOUGHT a car DESIGNED to go fast rather than a utility vehicle.

Last edited by bunka; 01-14-06 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-14-06, 08:59 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bunka
However, the effects of wind resistance is NOT a trival factor. I DO know a fair amount about cars (check my sig for a few I've owned and compare it to what you've driven). I have been close to the NASCAR world for over 40 years and the wind resistance is a REAL phenomonom, not just some fantasy as you would have others here believe. If it wasn't for wind resistance, EVERYTHING could go a lot faster. As the vehicle gets larger, it also has a larger cross-section which must displace more and more air. Moving a large bodied truck through the air is NOT the same thing as moving a sleek performance car through the air. While the GX's v8 "may" be able to push it to a certain point easily (say passing a car), it's still going to run into issues attributable to wind resistance at higher speeds. In fact, the effects of wind on a vehicle increase exponetially as speed is increased so your falicy of "still being there at speed is only partially correct. The power will still be there but the effects of wind resistance would place higher and higher demands on it's effect.
I agree with the increased effect of wind resistance. It is not some kind of set constant that you can add on the end of an equation and be done with it.

Way back when when I studied aerospace engineering, there were all kinds of non-linear equations to describe these effects in fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics courses. I couldn't reproduce any of them now (I wound up using my engineering degrees in a different direction), but I do know we are not talking about simple functions here.
Old 01-14-06, 08:09 PM
GXPrado
Driver

People need to realize the speed limiter might be there for safety reasons not engine concerns.

The GX is a big, 6000lb box flying over half a foot off the ground (closer to a foot) with 4 contact patches equalling about 2 sheets of paper.

There is a good possiblity that turbulence, suspesion dynamics and downforce (or lack of) were real concerns with limiting the speed. With that much space under the vehicle, when you hit triple digits what if you are gaining lift instead of downforce?

Maybe that speed limit is there for safety reasons?

No weight on the tires+high speed=$50K kinetic lawn art.

All I'm saying is it's dangerous to run with a little bit of information. You should get the whole story before you second guess it.
Old 01-14-06, 09:28 PM
ariana8
Driver School Candidate

>[one] should be a bit more knowledgeable ... before posting useless crap<

Excellent comment. Perhaps <cough> doesn't apply in quite the way you meant <cough> but I certainly agree with it.

Quick Reply: How to... remove speed limiter