GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Calling all guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-05, 08:19 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all guys...

Ok, I've had my GX for about 5 months now and love the truck (SUV, sorry...previous vehicle was a big Tundra). Here's the thing. Has anyone else noticed that there are more women driving this car than men? I live in LA and have noticed that, more often than not, it’s a woman at that wheel. If it’s not a woman, it seems that it is a dude that is considerably older than me. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a 30 something year old driving the GX.

Yes, I know that it is a more expensive car so younger people are less inclined to buy it and that SUVs cater to women with families and whatnot but I really think I may have just bought, for lack of a better term, a "chick car". I looked at all the other cars in the size and I really couldn’t bring myself to buy an X5 with half the options or the Ford...um...Landrover LR3 for about 5k more. Not to mention...in LA? Friggin everyone has a BMW or Land/Range Rover...its pretty crazy.

I’m not complaining or feeling like my manhood is threatened here but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

T.
Old 12-13-05, 08:51 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um, er... *cough, cough*.... 38 year old male, two kids (7 and 2 years old), no pets, Long Island, NY... I haven't seen too many "younglings" driving the GX, mostly soccer moms and dads, like me...
Old 12-13-05, 09:11 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Around here, I can go a month without seeing a GX and when I do spot one, they have almost always been driven by a male. Now as for the RX, I'd say females are at the wheel about 90% of the time.
Old 12-13-05, 09:42 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

The hamlet I call home is just rife with GX's. It is the official soccer mom vehicle of Marin Ca. But at least my wife and I can claim first on the block.

I'm sorry to say, without exception, every GX in Marin seems to be driven my a Mom. The only time I ever see a male driver is on weekends, when the whole family is in tow; and you can add me to this list.

I do try and steal the truck for surf trips and ventures off-road, and have "toughened" it up with Revo's and surf-racks; but let's face it, women love this truck.
Old 12-13-05, 10:01 AM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

I'm also in So Cal (and a 34 yr old male) and noticed the same thing. I would say only 1 out of every 8 or so have men behind the wheel.
Old 12-13-05, 10:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, some woman love the toughness of this truck too, you can take this SUV almost anywhere and not run into problems, unlike the RX. Around here in the northeast, it is mostly men driving the GX and woman driving the RX, but I see more and more females with the GX nowadays.
Old 12-13-05, 10:35 AM
TomGXer
Rookie

Default Ok...

So at least im not the only one that noticed this. You know how it is....when you get a new car you tend to notice all the others on the road all of a sudden. Anyway...I will just consider myself a minority, being a 30 year old male that drives a GX. The girlfriend wants a dog...does that count as a family? I just couldnt pass up the versatility (I race mtn bikes and snowboard), the included options, dependability and the price for what you are getting. Everything else I looked at was too small, had a v6, too freakin expensive (bmw/range rover..wtf?) or too big....like the rediculous Tahoe, Yukon, Denali cr@p boxes that are littered on the streets of LA like they give them away for free or something.

Ok, rant over....thanks all for your posts!
Old 12-13-05, 10:40 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In St. Louis I see a mix of both men and women driving the GX. Most are older but I do see a few younger ones, I am 36. My wife does not like my GX and prefers her X5, she likes the more sporty ride. She does love the interior though. However, we were in Orlando over the weekend and every GX I saw had a women driving with kids in the back.
Old 12-13-05, 11:44 AM
loflin
Pole Position

The whole concept of "chick car" tends to get all sorts of discussion in car forums, no matter what type of car.

Reality here in Austin, TX (as well as a lot of TX), about 8 out of 10 Chevy Suburbans are being driven by women. Does that make the Suburb a "chick car". Don't think so. It's just big and hauls a lot of stuff (whether work related or just kids). The Suburban really is the stationwagon of the '60s for a lot of families.
Old 12-13-05, 01:17 PM
petsb10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomGXer
Ok, I've had my GX for about 5 months now and love the truck (SUV, sorry...previous vehicle was a big Tundra). Here's the thing. Has anyone else noticed that there are more women driving this car than men? I live in LA and have noticed that, more often than not, it’s a woman at that wheel. If it’s not a woman, it seems that it is a dude that is considerably older than me. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a 30 something year old driving the GX.

Yes, I know that it is a more expensive car so younger people are less inclined to buy it and that SUVs cater to women with families and whatnot but I really think I may have just bought, for lack of a better term, a "chick car". I looked at all the other cars in the size and I really couldn’t bring myself to buy an X5 with half the options or the Ford...um...Landrover LR3 for about 5k more. Not to mention...in LA? Friggin everyone has a BMW or Land/Range Rover...its pretty crazy.

I’m not complaining or feeling like my manhood is threatened here but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

T.

I mentioned this in an earlier Post, ALL WOMEN here in north Jersey. 9 of 10 are women. I have been scoping out the drivers ever since I decided I was going with the GX. Even my manager calls it a chick car, but I dont care.

-M
Old 12-13-05, 03:52 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

I think the exhaust of the truck contains testosterone. So I'm gonna say its a manly truck. Women just like to drive it i guess.

A vehicle being manly or fem I think is different than the type of people driving it.

Old 12-14-05, 12:56 PM
davidc1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's highly likely a woman will be seen driving the GX but I am pretty sure a man had some say in it. I got the GX for my wife cause I liked it, talked her into driving it with our baby in the back seat. On weekends, I drive the GX with the wife in the passenger seat.
Old 12-14-05, 02:11 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Im in richmond VA and i mostly see women driving the GX but ive loved it since the first time i saw it and im saving to trade my IS in for one. The GX is a guys car but mostly women like them becuase their roomy but are not as big as the LX and still offer three rows of seats. Ill probably be the only 22(probably 23 when i buy) year old male driving a GX but i dont care.
Old 12-14-05, 03:26 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

I am secure with my manhood and really don't care who buys or drives what I drive........they all copied me!
Old 12-14-05, 04:01 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the GX for my wife since it's a girl's truck....

lol

Actually the RX is more feminine than the GX. I see about 50/50 male/female drivers in the GX...probably because the husband wants to drive the sportier car Though I wouldn't mind driving the GX.

Quick Reply: Calling all guys...