GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Calling all guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 04:22 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolf69
um, er... *cough, cough*.... 38 year old male, two kids (7 and 2 years old), no pets, Long Island, NY... I haven't seen too many "younglings" driving the GX, mostly soccer moms and dads, like me...
Where in Long Island are you?
Old 12-14-05, 05:35 PM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have both RX and GX.
I see about 60/40 female/male drivers in GX and 90/10 in RX in my area.
As long as my wife is happy, who cares
Old 12-14-05, 07:15 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Hi Angel,

I'm in Syosset/Jericho, what about you?
Old 12-14-05, 09:51 PM
Donger
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a fairly even mix in Phoenix. I bought the truck for myself after having an X5 4.4i for 3 years. However after 6 months, my wife 'appropriated' the GX, which forced me to go out and get a BMW Convertible, so I can't complain too much.
Old 12-15-05, 06:55 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I bought this truck for my wife, so she's the primary driver. That said, however, I do not consider the GX a "girl's truck". [I do not believe in the notion of gender-specific cars anyway.] What I think is happening is that GXs are being purchased to serve as the "family vehicle" for a lot of homes. As we all know, the primary driver of the family vehicle is usually the female, while us guys drive our "toys". Please don't misunderstand - I LOVE driving the GX whenever I can get my hands on it, and that's usually on the weekend. I actually prefer our `04 GX to my "toy", an `04 SC; but we live on the East Coast, and I want my wife to be safe in any kind of driving condition. In my opinion, Lexus hit a "home-run" with the GX. My wife says that she does not want any truck other than the GX; she used to covet the Range Rover!

Another reason why you may see more women than men driving the GX is that women are smarter than us. While I do not find the GX humdrum by any measure, we men generally are drawn to things that we perceive to have "flash" and "dash" (Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover Sport, Escalade, etc.) while women stick to practicality. Think about it. For the money, however, what truck/SUV in the GX's class provides better value and reliability than the GX?

Of course, all of this is pure speculation on my part!
Old 12-15-05, 07:58 AM
batmobl
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I bought this truck for my wife, so she's the primary driver. That said, however, I do not consider the GX a "girl's truck". [I do not believe in the notion of gender-specific cars anyway.] What I think is happening is that GXs are being purchased to serve as the "family vehicle" for a lot of homes. As we all know, the primary driver of the family vehicle is usually the female, while us guys drive our "toys". Please don't misunderstand - I LOVE driving the GX whenever I can get my hands on it, and that's usually on the weekend. I actually prefer our `04 GX to my "toy", an `04 SC; but we live on the East Coast, and I want my wife to be safe in any kind of driving condition. In my opinion, Lexus hit a "home-run" with the GX. My wife says that she does not want any truck other than the GX; she used to covet the Range Rover!

Another reason why you may see more women than men driving the GX is that women are smarter than us. While I do not find the GX humdrum by any measure, we men generally are drawn to things that we perceive to have "flash" and "dash" (Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover Sport, Escalade, etc.) while women stick to practicality. Think about it. For the money, however, what truck/SUV in the GX's class provides better value and reliability than the GX?

Of course, all of this is pure speculation on my part!
Very well said. I agree
Old 01-04-06, 12:12 AM
kurtman
Driver School Candidate

In Hawaii, I see a heck of a lot of them and they're all driven by women (or guys dressed up like women). My wife loves it, and so do I when she lets me drive it.
Old 01-04-06, 05:56 AM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Around here ALL the SUVs are driven by women. The guy gets the little car to park at the train station.

Women don't like sissy cars. It's a girl thing.
Old 01-04-06, 08:55 AM
bgsntth
Rookie

You are spot-on SilverLady.

My wife was hounding me for years to get an SUV for my personal car instead of the various high-powered Subaru wagons I have utilized to commute back and forth from Marin to downtown San Francisco. She experienced a recent epiphany brought on by her driving the GX to my office for lunch.

Martin