GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 maintenance cost

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 04:59 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 maintenance cost

Hi all,
We are looking to buy a GX470 and this will be our first Lexus. We have researched it quite a bit and it seems to have everything we are looking for.
I was wondering about its maintenance costs and was hoping that you will be able to help me with that information.
eg. I wanted to know what an oil & filter change costs or
what is the cost of 30K mile or 50K mile servicing?

Thanks in advance
Mel

Last edited by gs_girl; 12-01-05 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-02-05, 07:49 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs_girl
Hi all,
We are looking to buy a GX470 and this will be our first Lexus. We have researched it quite a bit and it seems to have everything we are looking for.
I was wondering about its maintenance costs and was hoping that you will be able to help me with that information.

Thanks in advance
Mel
depends where u live.
Old 12-02-05, 08:48 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs_girl
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Mel
First Oil change is free. Thereafter it's from $70 to $100 depending on if you have Toyota (less expensive but don't get a loaner car nor the level of cust serivce you do at the actual Lexus shop). I've only had mine for about a year so I haven't yet gotten to the first 15K service.
Old 12-02-05, 09:03 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi GS,

Here in NY (Long Island, Rallye Lexus), the pricing is as follows:

5K, 10K, 20K 25K miles (oil Change, inspect tires, rotate tires, etc...) least expensive service
$129.00

15K, 45K, 75K, 105K miles (Oil Change, Rotate and BALANCE, replace windshield wipers, replace engine filter, replace a/c filter)
$395.00

30k, 90k, 150k miles (All the above and Replace differential fluid, PCV Valve, Brake fluid fill and bleed, complete Engine Coolant replacement and inspection)
$595.00

60K, 120K, 180K miles (All the above and replace platinum plugs, resent engine base settings replace fuel Tank CAP seal,)
$999.00

All of the above also include the following:

loaner vehicle
car wash
road test
brake inspection
body inspection
tire pressure
lubricate door latches and hinges
update owners manual guide (only if requested, this is the dealer STAMP)

This was listed on the service brochure of my dealer...., I don't know if this is high, but I'm suspecting this is! How expensive is Mercedes, Porsche and others...? I've left out BMW, because there service is NOW free, but the catch is is BMW also change the maintenance shedule of oil changes to 15K ~ 20K or ONLY when the onboard computer prompts for service... Sheesh what decptive policy....

Good luck GS, I hope I didn't scare you off, especially if you can find LEXUS service for cheaper than the prices I've listed!!!

Hey, NY Lexus owners, how are Rallye's prices on service in the NY metro area, anyone get better prices for NY???!??
Old 12-03-05, 10:54 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Stupid high. $129 for an oil change? Can you say "butt reaming"? (m)

[QUOTE=lonewolf69]Hi GS,

Here in NY (Long Island, Rallye Lexus), the pricing is as follows:

5K, 10K, 20K 25K miles (oil Change, inspect tires, rotate tires, etc...) least expensive service
$129.00

15K, 45K, 75K, 105K miles (Oil Change, Rotate and BALANCE, replace windshield wipers, replace engine filter, replace a/c filter)
$395.00

30k, 90k, 150k miles (All the above and Replace differential fluid, PCV Valve, Brake fluid fill and bleed, complete Engine Coolant replacement and inspection)
$595.00

60K, 120K, 180K miles (All the above and replace platinum plugs, resent engine base settings replace fuel Tank CAP seal,)
$999.00

An oil change should not cost more than $40. I'll do it myself with synthetic oil in 1/3 the time.
I had hoped Lexus was above raping its customers. I guess not.
Old 12-03-05, 03:03 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

well so far here in chicago this is what i've been charged:

5K = FREE
10K = $130
15K = $500

i'm @ about 18k so far and i have no clue what my 20k will cost. i've only had the truck since April i think so i think you can say that you'll spend at least $800 a year on basic service depending on how many miles you slap on that puppy.
Old 12-03-05, 04:32 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Still sounds WAY too high. Take a look at what they are doing:

Originally Posted by 2Lexos
well so far here in chicago this is what i've been charged:

5K = FREE
10K = $130
15K = $500

i'm @ about 18k so far and i have no clue what my 20k will cost. i've only had the truck since April i think so i think you can say that you'll spend at least $800 a year on basic service depending on how many miles you slap on that puppy.
An oil change plus a few quick checks and the like does NOT add up to the prices charged. And, I'd be surprised if the cooland needs changing so quickly. My wife's Toyota Sienna is good for something like 100K miles!!
I'd do the oil myself for about $30 in parts, rotate the tires myself as needed and let them do the things that need special tools, like diff. oil, etc. I'd bet that about 50% or more of the crap they do is not needed (not in the manual), overpriced or just dealer profit making fluff. They are counting on the "don't want to break a nail" set to pump up their profit margins. Don't be a sucker!
Old 12-03-05, 04:42 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

yeah, i use to work on cars for a living......i would do my own oil changes, brakes, and whatever else i could in my garage. now i don't cause of an accident that messed up my back. it's a pain just to change a tire. i sold my snap-on box full of tools cause i no longer needed them. if i could i still would do all my own work. i know they do charge some crazy prices but at least this way if anything goes wrong somewhere down the line, Lexus did all the work and i can't be blamed for lack of maintenance.
Old 12-03-05, 11:49 PM
gs_girl
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies, I've kind of got an idea of what to expect.
I live in the Bay Area, CA.
Bunka suggested using Toyota for servicing. I've also read on the 'maintenance' forum that some folks take their lexus cars over to Toyota dealerships for oil changes and pay a lot less for it. Has anyone here tried this with their GX?
lonewolf69, thank you for the maintenance details, it was very helpful. And nope you did not scare me... My husband owned a Ford Explorer before and would get charged nearly $700 each time for maintenance milestones that occured between 30k - 80k...talk about rip off!! utterly stupendous!
Old 12-04-05, 05:19 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

2Lexus,

According to my brochure, your 20k, is the same as the 5K oil change so you should be expecting to pay around $130.00 for your 20K...

BTW, has everyone one here gotten thelr LOANER cars and FREE car wash? Remember the high prices are suppose to include these perks!!! Just wondering...

Also, if anyone has any cheaper prices than what I've already listed in NY that would be great!!!
Old 12-04-05, 07:30 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Remember that maintenance can be done cafeteria style (m)

There is no need to do half the "Fluff" and high profit margin BS on the dealer's list of "suggested" maintenance. Check your manual and follow Lexus' directions. A bit of skepticism , mechanical ability and mechanical knowledge go a long way to avoid getting screwed.
Old 12-04-05, 08:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

A oil change doesn't cost $130, I think it is like $30 to $40. Tire rotation is about $50 and another $40 to inspect the other stuff. Do the maintenance a al carte and you will save alot of money.
Old 12-06-05, 07:43 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Default At your discretion...

You know that you can always refuse to have their package service done to your truck. The dealers are there to make money!! Of course, every time I go in for service they want to sell me everything. I specifically ask for an oil change and tire rotation- thats it!! Costs about $80. And although I think that's expensive for that service, I guess that I have to remind myself what we're driving. There should be no reason that you need all sorts of fluid/filters changed until you've had the truck for a couple of years at least IMHO. Look in the warranty book, you don't have to do half the stuff that the dealer wants. I think by me refusing some of their BS service, I've saved close to $400 bucks. AND, I might add that one time, when I paid to have the tires rotated, they did not rotate them but charged me for the service. I know this because I mark the tires! I cannot help it! I've been had one too many! So they said they were sorry... big deal.
Old 12-06-05, 07:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default rjfiore1

Which dealer do you go to for service and how do you like them?
Old 12-06-05, 08:11 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

I go to the dealer in Norwood, Lexus of Norwood. Don't get me wrong, they are great and very friendly. Scott Higgins has been my advisor until recently, and I've always had a great repore w/ him. But I do admit that they can be firm on the service suggestions. I happily decline...

Quick Reply: GX470 maintenance cost