GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Anyone concerned about value if gas shoots up again? (m)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 05:11 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone concerned about value if gas shoots up again? (m)

After reading that SUV sales are still sluggish, but picking up a hair now that gasoline prices are a but better I got to wondering how GX values/trade numbers (for those inclined to trade) will fair if/when gas makes its inevitable trade upward. By way of example, a local Toyota dealer told me that over a one month period Land Cruiser values plummeted by several THOUSAND ,
which is painful to contemplate.
Any thoughts/opinions? Discuss?
Old 11-16-05, 08:22 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No , It won't affect the value of the GX.
Old 11-16-05, 07:29 PM
Kwoker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any reasonable person who purchase a GX should not be concern about gas prices.
Old 11-16-05, 08:15 PM
Donger
Driver

Glad mine is leased - I'll let the bank worry about the resale value. But if there is a trend, it will effect residuals, which will effect the value of future leases.

Hopefully it will level out, especially after the oil companies finish explaining how their record 3rd quarter earnings had nothing to do with price gouging.
Old 11-17-05, 05:39 AM
4or2wheels
Driver School Candidate

If I do end up buying a GX Im not going to worry about this. If you need a truck your still going to buy one. Beside's even the V6 in the 4runner only gets marginally better MPG's. Also I keep my vehicle's a long time so In 10 years I dont think it will make much of a difference.
Old 11-17-05, 08:10 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default My point is that what owners think may not be reflected in the market value (m)

Originally Posted by Kwoker
Whether purchasers should or should not be concerned about fuel economy or can afford the gas is irrelevant to the market's valuation of the vehicle. I have on good authority that for for some time trade values on the Land Cruiser PLUMMETED by several thousand dollars in a single month.
My issue/question remains- Might rising gas prices affect the market's valuation of these vehicles??
Old 11-17-05, 08:26 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kwoker
Gas prices should always be a concern, as they are a good indicator for price fluctuations in goods and commodities. Perhaps what you meant was that persons interested in this category of vehicle are not necessarily disturbed or swayed by the mileage estimations associated with these vehicles.
Old 11-17-05, 08:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JWS3
After reading that SUV sales are still sluggish, but picking up a hair now that gasoline prices are a but better I got to wondering how GX values/trade numbers (for those inclined to trade) will fair if/when gas makes its inevitable trade upward. By way of example, a local Toyota dealer told me that over a one month period Land Cruiser values plummeted by several THOUSAND ,
which is painful to contemplate.
Any thoughts/opinions? Discuss?
Logically, it makes sense that an increase in gas prices would have negative effect on the market for the GX and these types of vehicles (large SUVs). However, I think it would take a sustained rise in gas prices to seriously impact new/used prices associated with the GX and like vehicles.
Old 11-18-05, 05:49 PM
luckylex
Rookie

In a word, no.
Old 11-19-05, 05:16 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JWS3
Whether purchasers should or should not be concerned about fuel economy or can afford the gas is irrelevant to the market's valuation of the vehicle. I have on good authority that for for some time trade values on the Land Cruiser PLUMMETED by several thousand dollars in a single month.
My issue/question remains- Might rising gas prices affect the market's valuation of these vehicles??
I also agree with your assesment in this matter, since if there are major gas price issues in the future, the demand for SUV's will be reduced, especially in the USED car market and you may have to take a hit in your asking pricing based on this response. I mean geez, if the new vehicles start get get significantly discounted, it even gives more incentive for buyers to go for a new vehicle over your used one with all the financing / leases available.