GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A few questions from a prospective owner....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 08:12 PM
Thurman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions from a prospective owner....

This is a great forum, and I've already learned a lot from reading some of the existing threads. But I didn't see anything on these issues that I am weighing, and I hope some of you can share some informed perspectives.

By way of background, we've narrowed our search to the GX470 and the Volvo XC90 V8. We have 2 small children (2 and 3) and a dog. For us, the third row is a "must have" for carting friends of our kids to the zoo, being able to take 1 car when traveling with another couple and their child, etc. While we won't be taking the truck offroad in any serious way, we do own property in a pretty undeveloped area where we are planning to build a vacation home in a couple years or so. So we will take the truck on unpaved/rocky roads, gravel roads, and (on a very limited basis) offroad.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the third row seat in the GX actually usable? Not necessarily for 6-footers, but can a couple of, say, 10 year olds sit back there?

2. When using the third row seats, is there any room (as a practical matter) behind the third row? Not for a weekend trip, but do people typically find they've got enough room back there for typical around town trips?

3. How do people feel about KDSS? If you're not a serious "off-roader" is the benefit really significant?

3. We've narrowed our search to the GX470 and the Volvo XC90. I think they're both great. In favor of the Lexus: reliability, resale value, style. In favor of the Volvo: interior flexibility, third row space, liftgate (instead of rear "barn door", safety. Anyone else consider these two?
Old 11-12-05, 11:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Thurman and welcome to CL.

BEST thing for you to do is to sit in one and take a test drive if you haven't already.

1. 3rd row is plenty of space for small children. I have adults sit in the 3rd, the tallest friend I had back there is 5'11" though, and he was fine
2. Trunk space is small, not for long trips with lots of luggage though.
3. KDSS is nice to have, esp. if travel with lots of windy roads. I don't have it, and am happy without
it.
4. I've enjoyed my GS and GX with no problems so far, and families have many toyotas that are trouble free with high mileage. No exp. with volvos, so can not comment.
Old 11-12-05, 12:57 PM
89vette
Driver School Candidate

The third row seat is usable for small children but you feel like it is a death sentance if someone hits you from behind. I hate putting any one of my kids back there. I went from a full size SUV to the GX and there is a very noticible difference in the rear space. If you like Lexus, compare the LX470 in the back to the GX rear seat room.
Old 11-12-05, 01:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you plan to use the third row seat a lot, either the GX or the XC90 are good choices. Althought the XC90 may have 2 more inches of legroom in the 3rd row seat, it is still unfit for anyone over 12 years old on long trips. If the 3rd row seats are use half of the time or more, I would go with a full size SUV or a AWD minivan. IMO, 3rd row seats in all midsize SUV are for emergency use only, they don't belong there to begin with.
Old 11-12-05, 02:03 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default If you truly need a 3rd row of seats get a minivan (m)

Yes, I know they are a certain, um, stigma attached, but they are infinitely better with respect to a 3rd row. There a few XC90s in my neighborhood and nobody likes the 3rd row. Too smal, too awkward to get in/out of and even in the best of circumstances allows dirty feet to slop up the interior.
If extra seating is a higher priority I highly suggest you check out the Toyota Sienna. The XLE limited version has AWD available and is virtually a Lexus inside. The sliding doors are far easier for kids/older people and the vehicle stays way cleaner. No off road capacity, of course, but AWD is good. We bought one, which my wife at first dreaded, but now we love it, although it did take a few months for the "dork mobile" moniker to wear off.....
Old 11-12-05, 02:46 PM
Thurman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JWS3
Yes, I know they are a certain, um, stigma attached, but they are infinitely better with respect to a 3rd row. There a few XC90s in my neighborhood and nobody likes the 3rd row. Too smal, too awkward to get in/out of and even in the best of circumstances allows dirty feet to slop up the interior.
If extra seating is a higher priority I highly suggest you check out the Toyota Sienna. The XLE limited version has AWD available and is virtually a Lexus inside. The sliding doors are far easier for kids/older people and the vehicle stays way cleaner. No off road capacity, of course, but AWD is good. We bought one, which my wife at first dreaded, but now we love it, although it did take a few months for the "dork mobile" moniker to wear off.....
Minivan -- just what I don't want to hear!

I know, you are right, a minivan is far more practical if you plan on using the 3rd row regularly. But the dork factor can't be ignored.... The Sienna Limited AWD is VERY nice inside, I must admit.

We do only have 2 kids, though, so the 3rd row is really for exceptional circumstances. That said, we have a Volvo wagon now with a so-called third row (meaning it's not even usable under exceptional circumstances). If I buy a GX or XC I just want to be sure the third row can indeed be used on the rare occasions we'd need it.
Old 11-12-05, 03:34 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I use my third row seats for exceptional circumstances, and its is fine for that purpose but only for that purpose. I had a couple of ten year old back there for a long trip and I heard no complains, the 120VAC outlet and the laptop helped. The 3rd row seat in the XC have more leg room and sits up a bit higher, but anyone over 12 years old would be uncomfortable back there for long trips. One thing good about the GX is that you can install only 1 3rd row seat back there and a full size adult can seat back there with his or her leg extended side ways.

I test drove the XC when I was shopping for a SUV last month. The V8 actually cost more than the GX and the inline 5 was lacking in power. Too bad they got rid of the 6 cylinder for 2006. The XC handle better than the GX but the GX has a bit nicer interior. I personnally did not like the exterior design of the XC. In the end, Lexus' reliebility and quality wins over Volvo's high maintenance cost, long wait for parts and not so great reliebility ratings. Personally, I am sort of disappointed by the direction Volvo has taken in their new designs and cost cutting measure since Ford bought them out. Both are nice SUVs, it really depends on what your priorities are. Comfortable ride, quiet ride, handling, reliebility or safety. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Good Luck
Old 11-12-05, 03:39 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Thurman--- Well, the "dork factor" is, or rather WAS (m)

Originally Posted by Thurman
Minivan -- just what I don't want to hear!

I know, you are right, a minivan is far more practical if you plan on using the 3rd row regularly. But the dork factor can't be ignored.... The Sienna Limited AWD is VERY nice inside, I must admit.

We do only have 2 kids, though, so the 3rd row is really for exceptional circumstances. That said, we have a Volvo wagon now with a so-called third row (meaning it's not even usable under exceptional circumstances). If I buy a GX or XC I just want to be sure the third row can indeed be used on the rare occasions we'd need it.
a concern. A real big one at that. My wife fought it bitterly. And, like you, I only have 2 kids. Mine of girls 7 and 4 yrs old. Both are rather tall. I am 6' and the 7 1/2 yr old is up to my sternum at least.
Here is whats odd-- Although we strenuously,even bitterly avoided the van, once we had it and experienced the eas of getting the kids and friends, etc in and out we began to really like it. And we were among its BIGGEST detractors. You might say we drank all the kool aid, so to speak!
Seriously, give it a shot. You might be amazed at what you think and feel. We were. Even though we didn;t think we'd use the 3rd row we find ourselves using it more and more. Plus, the extra storage space is very handy--use it all the time.
I am looking at the GX to replace my 04 MB E500. Love the Benz, but here in NY I we must deal with evil snow and I am a bit tired of fussy and arguably snobby cars. I spend a huge amount of time just trying to keep it clean and neat (its black......) More and more I just want a vehicle that says, in plain language, "FU" to weather, curbs, dirt and what not. Crude, i know, but I'm heading that way.
Again, give the van a shot. Embrace your inner dork and come to the dork side........ Its really not all that bad and you may like the extra room. Nobody hated vans more than we and here I am extolling the virtues and all. Weird, but true.
Old 11-16-05, 12:02 PM
LvMyGX
Driver School Candidate

The GX is ranked best pick for safety on the "ins" website. I know magizines like to print their own articles, but everything I found listed the GX as best pick. I personally did not like the XC when shopping. I am not a volvo fan due to being owned by Ford. I know you said you currently own a volvo, but toyato/lexus brand was rated # 1most relaible vehicles. Also, forbes published an article of most unreliable luxurey vehicles. Mercades had the most on there, but volvo's xc was listed as like #11 or something. The jag was #1.

I sit in my 3rd row alot when we have a car full because I am usually the smallest adult, but we've had one baby seat, 3 very large adults, a driver and 2 small adults in the 3rd row and have driven all over the place.

One last note...keep in mind that the gx has 9 steel cross beams that the xc does not have. That helps as a major shock absorber with impact collisions.

Good luck...only you can choose what you feel is best for your family.
Old 11-17-05, 08:08 AM
Thurman
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks everyone

For your helpful responses. Much appreciated!