GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 10:00 AM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just ordered the Sirius receiver and the ES330 fit kit(for Navi) from my dealer. The cost is $199 for the receiver and $100 for the fit kit. I will pick it up saturday and will attempt to install it myself first. My dealer quoted $529+tax for parts and installation but I will try it first. My question is, for the ES330 kit, how do you route the antenna from the dash to the rearview mirror? The A-pillar has airbag sticker stated not to put anything around it, and concealing the antenna wire in that area may not be a good idea. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 12-04-05, 08:31 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
Well, I just ordered the Sirius receiver and the ES330 fit kit(for Navi) from my dealer. The cost is $199 for the receiver and $100 for the fit kit. I will pick it up saturday and will attempt to install it myself first. My dealer quoted $529+tax for parts and installation but I will try it first. My question is, for the ES330 kit, how do you route the antenna from the dash to the rearview mirror? The A-pillar has airbag sticker stated not to put anything around it, and concealing the antenna wire in that area may not be a good idea. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

John
The fit kit has a sheet of rectangular foam tape. Tape the antenna lead to the A-pillar sheetmetal with the foam. As long as the lead is behind the airbag,not beside or in front of,it won't interfere with airbag deployment. You will need to remove the A-pillar trim panel of course.

Originally Posted by BobsGX
OK, so then I need the ES330 kit with the Mark Levinson system for the Sirius satellite installation on my 06 GX470 which does have the Nav system and the Mark Levinson system. Because they offer 2 fit kits for the ES, one with the ML system and one without the ML audio system. Does the kit come with instructions? Thanks
No instructions. I don't think we even have "official" GX470 instructions in our electronic database.
Ask for the fit kit designed for an ES with navigation (I believe it's listed as with ML audio).
Old 12-04-05, 09:52 PM
BobsGX
Racer

No instructions. I don't think we even have "official" GX470 instructions in our electronic database.
Ask for the fit kit designed for an ES with navigation (I believe it's listed as with ML audio).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I don't like the antenna location that comes with the ES330 kit. I want it on the roof for best reception. The windshield mounted antennas usually don't work to well. That's why any vehicle manufacturer who offers satellite radio as a factory or standard option, always mounts the antenna on the roof area. Do you know if the ES330 kit comes with a detachable antenna lead? If so, then I could buy a roof mounted antenna and install it where I like it. Otherwise I could get the LX kit and just run the wire down the drivers side since the ML amp is under the drivers seat instead of under the passenger seat like on the LX.
Old 12-04-05, 11:23 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

The reception from a windshield mounted antenna may not be that bad. Currently I am using a Sirius Sportster Replay in the GX470. The antenna is temporarily placed on the dash and the reception is not to bad. It averaged 2-3 bars out of 4 signal strength and only loses signal in the building( and occasionally in the storm). I guess I will find out soon. And as you stated I hope the antenna lead can be detach just in case if I need to relocate the antenna.

John
Old 12-05-05, 06:53 AM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default I too am curious about the antenna. Could one add an extension? (more)

The reception from a windshield mounted antenna may not be that bad. Currently I am using a Sirius Sportster Replay in the GX470. The antenna is temporarily placed on the dash and the reception is not to bad. It averaged 2-3 bars out of 4 signal strength and only loses signal in the building( and occasionally in the storm). I guess I will find out soon. And as you stated I hope the antenna lead can be detach just in case if I need to relocate the antenna.

John

Perhaps one could simply attach anextension piece to the antenna lead. I have a hard time believing the antenna wire is fixed and with a proprietary connector.
Old 12-05-05, 10:58 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Since the same satellite receiver is used in all the different Lexus vehicles, I imagine the 2 different antennas (w/s mount and roof/trunk mount) would just plug into the same input port on the receiver. Anyone who has installed a satellite radio kit, can you confirm this?

Last edited by BobsGX; 03-08-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 06:28 PM
LexusTech
Rookie

The connector isn't Lexus proprietary,you can use any Sirius antenna designed for single-input tuners.

Something like this will work,that's what the connector looks like.

Sirius Dot antenna,2.25" diameter 1/2" height
Old 12-05-05, 06:57 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Now THAT is more like it!! Looks like this is the way to go (more)

Originally Posted by LexusTech
The connector isn't Lexus proprietary,you can use any Sirius antenna designed for single-input tuners.

Something like this will work,that's what the connector looks like.

Sirius Dot antenna,2.25" diameter 1/2" height

Get the Sirius tuner, ES330 "kit" and this antenna or one like it and voila-- Satellite radio!!
Old 12-05-05, 08:24 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Sounds good. I saw that same antenna yesterday at CC for $40.00.

Last edited by BobsGX; 12-10-05 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-10-05, 06:13 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Well I just finish installing the Sirius receiver with the ES330 fit kit, activated and mission accoomplished. It was quite scary removing the panels and wood trims because I thought I was going to snap something. But overall it was quite easy. I put the receiver under the front passenger seat for now. I couldn't find any decent location under the dash. Once the NAV unit was removed, it was a simple plug-and-play. I didn't use the antenna that came with the kit; it was a somewhat large triangular module and I thought it was too large to place in the windshield. I use the Sirius Antenna instead.

I love the total integration with the car. It sounds so much better than with the FM transmitter. No static and more depth in sound. Only thing I wish it has is the Category button to display all the station's name and artist like my Sportster Replay. Well you can't have them all. Overall I am very satisfy. Plus no more clutter on the dash.

John
Old 12-10-05, 08:44 PM
BobsGX
Racer

You could put the Sirius receiver behind the cargo area panel. Others have put it there. Where did you mount the external antenna?
Old 12-10-05, 09:50 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

You could put the Sirius receiver behind the cargo area panel. Others have put it there. Where did you mount the external antenna?

The ES330 kit may not be long enough but I will try it tomorrow. I mounted the antenna on the top right, rear corner of the roof. It is about 6 inches in front of the rear spoiler. Since it is magnitized it is quite secure.

John
Old 12-11-05, 12:43 PM
BobsGX
Racer

The ES330 kit may not be long enough but I will try it tomorrow. I mounted the antenna on the top right, rear corner of the roof. It is about 6 inches in front of the rear spoiler. Since it is magnitized it is quite secure.

John
I just looked at the installation instructions for the Sirius install for the ML equipped ES and I see what you mean by the cable maybe not being long enough to reach to the rear cargo area of the GX. I'm hoping Lexus comes out with a kit for the GX soon. There may not be room to install the satellite receiver on the passenger side cargo area since the subwoofer is located on that side. The drivers side no doubt has the room but your cable almost certainly can't reach over there. Thats why the LX kit is probably a better choice on the GX. And it comes with the exterior antenna.
Old 12-11-05, 04:44 PM
JWS3
Pole Position

Default Still puzzled: GX vs. LX kit (more)

I just looked at the installation instructions for the Sirius install for the ML equipped ES and I see what you mean by the cable maybe not being long enough to reach to the rear cargo area of the GX. I'm hoping Lexus comes out with a kit for the GX soon. There may not be room to install the satellite receiver on the passenger side cargo area since the subwoofer is located on that side. The drivers side no doubt has the room but your cable almost certainly can't reach over there. Thats why the LX kit is probably a better choice on the GX. And it comes with the exterior antenna.
Still a bit puzzled here- many here have touted the kit from the ES330, including "Lexustech", who by his name might be presumed to know more than many of us, or at least me personally. Others suggest the LX kit, while some say it is no longer available.

The whole thing is puzzling to say the least- I really wish we had a definitive answer as to how/what/where, etc.

Jim
Old 12-11-05, 05:32 PM
JohnAMG
Rookie

Originally Posted by JWS3
Still a bit puzzled here- many here have touted the kit from the ES330, including "Lexustech", who by his name might be presumed to know more than many of us, or at least me personally. Others suggest the LX kit, while some say it is no longer available.

The whole thing is puzzling to say the least- I really wish we had a definitive answer as to how/what/where, etc.

Jim
I thought the advantage of the ES330 kit is its simplicity. 1 cable, about 10 feet, for the NAV, Sirius receiver and existing plug, and no more. No wires to the amplifier and only the antenna lead to the receiver. Actually it is too simple. When I did NAV retrofit for my Mercedes, it was more complicated than this. All this for under $400, not bad. Mercedes Sirius receiver is at least $500-700 for parts, not including installation and reprograming of your car. Now my only complaint is too much good music and too little time.

John

Quick Reply: SIRIUS/XM Integration 05-06