GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

does your "empty gas light" ever come on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 05:46 PM
man8959
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does your "empty gas light" ever come on?

i've been have my 05' gx for about six months and never see the empty gas light came on. does your car ever do that or is some wrong with my gas tank? thanks
Old 07-30-05, 06:31 AM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

the needle's gotta be on the "E" before it turns on. then i think, you have like 3 gallons left, maybe?!?!? I've had it come on before but only ONCE (when my dealer offered me a free fill-up). lol
Old 07-30-05, 03:06 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default All the time

But I like to live on the edge.
Old 07-30-05, 07:18 PM
man8959
Driver

i've waited until it goes all the way to E but it's still didn't came on. it says that i have 35 miles range left, so i got scare and fill up. i guess next time i'll wait a little longer and see if it came on.
Old 07-31-05, 12:01 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by man8959
i've been have my 05' gx for about six months and never see the empty gas light came on. does your car ever do that or is some wrong with my gas tank? thanks
I tried searching the lexus FAQS and got this:
"when does the low fuel light come on in the gx" delivered 809 results:
1. FAQ - How much fuel is left in the tank when the fuel indicator light comes on?
While it is likely there will be at least ONE gallon of gas remaining when..

But there was an internal server error that prevented me from reading that FAQ. Sounds interesting though.

Last edited by lepoch; 07-31-05 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 04:22 PM
man8959
Driver

Originally Posted by lepoch
I tried searching the lexus FAQS and got this:
"when does the low fuel light come on in the gx" delivered 809 results:
1. FAQ - How much fuel is left in the tank when the fuel indicator light comes on?
While it is likely there will be at least ONE gallon of gas remaining when..

But there was an internal server error that prevente me from reading that FAQ. Sounds interesting though.

Lepoch, where is FAQ that you found? thanks
Old 07-31-05, 04:31 PM
lepoch
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by man8959
Lepoch, where is FAQ that you found? thanks

http://www.lexus.com/lexus/SiteSearc...s_img_main.jpg
Old 08-01-05, 03:25 PM
SacKen
Driver

All the time for me too. It is when the gauge is pretty much on the "E" line and seems to be when the tank has around 2-3 gallons left and the range says around 35 miles.

By the way, once I got stuck somewhere and had to drive a couple miles after the range said "0". When I finally reached a station, I was surprised to see that it still had almost a gallon in there. I've always been told that it isn't good to get down to the last drops of gas, but it is nice to know that there is a little buffer in there and you won't stall right at "0".

Anyone see the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was test driving a car and they tried to see how far past "E" they could go? Anyone up to seeing how far past "0" range they can go
Old 08-01-05, 08:31 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

You guys are missing the point. If your car says it has ANY miles left, the light does not come on. So, why are you guys surprised when it's not coming on. My TL still has 3 gallons left in the tank when the HID reads "Zero miles to empty". The fact is that @ nearly 30 MPG, you could still EASILY drive for another HOUR. On long trips where I cross into states where fuel is significantly cheaper, I simply hit the TRIP A reset and watch the miles go by. When it gets near 50, I start to worry (but in the back of my mind I know I could drive another 30 minutes or so. Haven't tried it on the GX yet.
Old 08-02-05, 06:44 AM
lexite
Driver

Originally Posted by SacKen
All the time for me too. It is when the gauge is pretty much on the "E" line and seems to be when the tank has around 2-3 gallons left and the range says around 35 miles.
Same here.
Old 08-02-05, 08:15 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

I've hit "0" miles to empty 2 or 3 times, and was pretty scared, since I'd never hear the end of it from my wife who was in the car at that time. However, the car kept going a couple of miles in "zero". Never knew zero meant there was still a buffer. The buffer may become unavailable if you are going uphill or downhill, depending on where the drain in the fuel-tank is located.
Old 08-02-05, 01:06 PM
loflin
Pole Position

ALL cars have a reserve after signaling empty (signaling with gauge, idiot light, MTE display, etc.).

Some cars spec it in gallons, other don't.

So much variability in driver's style and environmental conditions, NO manufacturer will try and calculate an ACTUAL 0 miles, as if they miss it (the wrong way), they will have irate consumers.

I have found most cars have at least 2 gals on reserve. My Suburban with 38 gal tank had at least 8 gals (it seemed by my experience).

On my Benz they spec it this way: approx 18.5 gal with approx 2.6 gal reserve The low fuel light comes on when tank is at the reserve (i.e. approx 2.6 gal left).

P.S. I routinely drive past the 0 miles mark (in city driving, gas stations always nearby).
Old 08-02-05, 05:18 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SacKen
Anyone see the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was test driving a car and they tried to see how far past "E" they could go? Anyone up to seeing how far past "0" range they can go
I've had it lit up once b/c that's when it was running on empty and it was a night time. I usually don't put gas at night, some theory saying that the gas sitting all day and vaporizing Gas being better in the morning.....I'm sure there's an explanation but I'll go with this theory for now

Ever since I read that it's bad to drive on empty b/c gas is also used to cool the internals.......I don't let it go past the quarter mark anyway.

REgarding Seinfeld, yeah they were testing the Saab right?
Old 08-02-05, 06:59 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Ever since I read that it's bad to drive on empty b/c gas is also used to cool the internals
What is that? Cool the internals, what does that mean? The gas just sit in the tank, which is isolated from the rest of the car.....
Old 08-02-05, 09:37 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I've had it lit up once b/c that's when it was running on empty and it was a night time. I usually don't put gas at night, some theory saying that the gas sitting all day and vaporizing Gas being better in the morning.....I'm sure there's an explanation but I'll go with this theory for now

Ever since I read that it's bad to drive on empty b/c gas is also used to cool the internals.......I don't let it go past the quarter mark anyway.

REgarding Seinfeld, yeah they were testing the Saab right?
Nice try but I don't think there are many that would bite on either of those "Urban Legends". Vaporizing gas and cooling the internals. You KILL me!!!

Quick Reply: does your "empty gas light" ever come on?