GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 w/trailer prep, what do I need to tow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 03:45 PM
raphster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 w/trailer prep, what do I need to tow?

I have an 05 that came with the tow ready-prep package.
what do I need to buy/install to be fully able to tow?
Old 05-23-05, 05:42 PM
man8959
Driver

Originally Posted by raphster
I have an 05 that came with the tow ready-prep package.
what do I need to buy/install to be fully able to tow?
if you already have a hitch then all you need is adaptor from the hitch plug to the trailer wires
Old 05-23-05, 07:39 PM
raphster
Driver School Candidate

I don't believe I have the hitch, it looks like there is a plate where you bolt a hitch reciever to.
Is that what I need? What would such a hitch reciever cost?
Old 05-24-05, 12:15 PM
loflin
Pole Position

I don't believe I have the hitch, it looks like there is a plate where you bolt a hitch reciever to.
Is that what I need? What would such a hitch reciever cost?
This was somewhat confusing and not explained real well. There was an inexpensive Tow Prep Pkg (about $50) and then there is a Towing Pkg (about $500).

For the first one, I'm not sure, but I think it's just the wiring is there, and perhaps an additional plate bolted/welded on the frame. You go get your own hitch.

For the second, it is a complete package, with hitch, receiver, wiring plug, and 4 pin to round plug convertor. Only thing you purchase is the actual trailer hitch ball, in whatever size you need.

Then to make it more confusing starting in 04, there was 2 different weight size hitches, 5000lb and 6500lb.
Old 08-09-05, 09:29 AM
raphster
Driver School Candidate

never got an asnwer from lexus customer service and I've been getting the run around from various Lexus parts dept. the picture below is what my "tow prepped" mounting plate looks like.
also installed (not in the picture) is the pre-wired electrical plug.

The elusive question is.... what exactly do I need to buy in order for my 05 GX to be capable of towing? looks like I need some sort of plate/attachement where the hitch&ball will insert into.

Old 08-09-05, 09:51 AM
loflin
Pole Position

never got an asnwer from lexus customer service and I've been getting the run around from various Lexus parts dept. the picture below is what my "tow prepped" mounting plate looks like.
also installed (not in the picture) is the pre-wired electrical plug.

The elusive question is.... what exactly do I need to buy in order for my 05 GX to be capable of towing? looks like I need some sort of plate/attachement where the hitch&ball will insert into.
Confusing on why your Lexus Dealer won't sell and install the Hitch package. Try talking to someone else, or another dealer.

You need the real kit. It does NOT just attach to those 4 bolt holes (at least the 6500lb package doesn't). Search on the forum you will see pics and manual pages showing the hitch installation. It is a large piece that actually attaches back to the left and right side body frames.
Old 08-17-05, 07:45 PM
royk
Driver School Candidate

Not to beat a horse to death and apologies for being lame...but I'm confused about this whole towing package issue.

The reason why the GX470 is on the top of our list is the fact that my wife likes it as her primary car and it has the towing capacity needed to tow my M3 track car on an open trailer.

But after checking out the thread and looking at the options & accessories list both online and in the '05 brochure, I don't see any other Towing Package other than the $50 one listed which includes the following bits:

wiring harness, converter, sub-bracket (does not include ball mount)

And then, in the Dealer Accessories area, there is a "Tow-hitch Receiver" listed. Is this just the receiver that attaches to the $50 Towing Package prep?

What am I missing? Or I guess it'd be easier to just answer what would I need to realize the full 6,500 lb. towing capacity listed in the tech specs and tow an open aluminum car trailer to and from race tracks?

FWIW, we're planning on ordering an '06 in September.

Sorry to make this lame post my first one on the forum!
Old 08-17-05, 09:11 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by royk
Not to beat a horse to death and apologies for being lame...but I'm confused about this whole towing package issue.

The reason why the GX470 is on the top of our list is the fact that my wife likes it as her primary car and it has the towing capacity needed to tow my M3 track car on an open trailer.

But after checking out the thread and looking at the options & accessories list both online and in the '05 brochure, I don't see any other Towing Package other than the $50 one listed which includes the following bits:

wiring harness, converter, sub-bracket (does not include ball mount)

And then, in the Dealer Accessories area, there is a "Tow-hitch Receiver" listed. Is this just the receiver that attaches to the $50 Towing Package prep?

What am I missing? Or I guess it'd be easier to just answer what would I need to realize the full 6,500 lb. towing capacity listed in the tech specs and tow an open aluminum car trailer to and from race tracks?

FWIW, we're planning on ordering an '06 in September.

Sorry to make this lame post my first one on the forum!
Understand the confusion, after reading thru all the history in the forum. Part of the problem was on the '04 models the tow situation was complicated.

For '05, not really complicated at all.

You need the Towing Prep Package ($50) and the Tow-Hitch Receiver ($433). This may be shown as one thing for $483.

The Prep pkg gives you the wiring. The Receiver gives you the metal! The parts on the frame, along with the Tongue Ball mount (but no ball, you have to pick your own size and install from Wal-mart or a Trailer store).
Old 08-18-05, 07:42 AM
royk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loflin
Understand the confusion, after reading thru all the history in the forum. Part of the problem was on the '04 models the tow situation was complicated.

For '05, not really complicated at all.

You need the Towing Prep Package ($50) and the Tow-Hitch Receiver ($433). This may be shown as one thing for $483.

The Prep pkg gives you the wiring. The Receiver gives you the metal! The parts on the frame, along with the Tongue Ball mount (but no ball, you have to pick your own size and install from Wal-mart or a Trailer store).
Wow loflin...thanks for clarifying everything in one shot!

I feel better now that this is the right SUV for us for starting a family and towing the track toy.