GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

NAV Welcome Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-05, 06:48 PM
orion7701
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV Welcome Screen

Hello,

Well, I tried searching and didn't really find any solutions. So, has anyone found a way to disable the NAV welcome screen that you have to "agree" to every time you start the car? This has to be the dumbest "feature" I have every seen. I would understand if you hit it once (and it remembers the selection) and unless your vehicle lost its memory you would never see it again. But to force the driver to constantly hit the damn "I Agree" button every single time is just moronic.

Anyone have any ideas on how to disable it (I have a 2005 GX470)????

Thanks...
Old 04-16-05, 09:28 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

There is an adapter that is made by a company in FL. Seems like it sells for about $75

If you are interested I'll see if I can find the info
Old 04-16-05, 10:10 PM
Donger
Driver

I would be interested if your can find the info - I've searched the web and can't find anything.
Old 04-17-05, 12:54 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

finally someone else has brought this up. I am not sure if lexus is the only company that requires the button every time the car starts or is it universal in all vehicles with navigation ?
Old 04-17-05, 06:36 AM
orion7701
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tin Star
There is an adapter that is made by a company in FL. Seems like it sells for about $75

I am very interested. Can you please try to find the info?

Thank you...
Old 04-17-05, 06:58 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexs400
finally someone else has brought this up. I am not sure if lexus is the only company that requires the button every time the car starts or is it universal in all vehicles with navigation ?
my friends in their accura can add destinations while driving as i think thats a great idea i still think i'd be way to distracting for me to do it
Old 04-17-05, 12:32 PM
SilvahGX
Driver School Candidate

Nope, it was the same way in my Odyssey, I have to be admit, it was quite annoying, but I barely even use the navigation, maybe once in a blue moon so it's not as much of an annoyance for me. However, I would like to be able to program the NAV while driving, I really miss having that luxury in my Odyssey. But I guess I'll get used to it.
Old 04-18-05, 11:08 AM
DSW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tin Star

I would be interested in this adapter. Please post info.
Old 04-19-05, 01:52 PM
Tin Star
Rookie

Sorry about the delay in getting back to the board but I was waiting for some information.

I just got off the phone with the company. The current model they had didn't work with the GX.

However, a model is in production now and they should have it soon.

It is a plug and play. The unit plugs into the wiring harness under the passenger seat.

They will notify me when it arrives and I will post the information on this board or you can put your

name on a waiting list by emailling support@coastaletech.com

Include your year, make and model and ask to be notified.

It will also allow input to the nav in motion.
Old 04-19-05, 06:15 PM
john5519
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I just added myself to the notification list...

I have a feeling it will let you input phone #'s on the go and maybe even dvd's.. Let's hope...
Old 04-20-05, 02:39 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe most if not all companies require that you acknowledge the legal disclaimer at start up. My Acura has it as well.

As someone else mentioned, Acura does allow you to be able to change destinations without stopping the car. I hate the fact that you have to stop in order to update destinations in the Toyota/Lexus systems. I know it's a safety thing, but we have been on road trips where my wife could be updating it and we still have to stop.
Old 04-27-05, 09:19 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

The nav screens on the Prius look exactly the same as the GX. Are the connectors also the same? If they are, this device from CoastaleTech.Com might be 100% compatible, and we might not need to wait for them to create/market a Lexus specific device.

Anyone willing to try?

Last edited by Quant; 04-27-05 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-27-05, 11:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

It is a real annoyance to hit "I agree" on every start up, but I've been trained like a monkey reaching for a banana already However, I put one of those pda screen protectors so I don't put a hole in that lower right corner of the screen. If anyone wants, I can post a picture.

Lexus should've thought about this also if they want us to constantly hit that agree button a million times
Old 04-27-05, 11:34 AM
darylhuff
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
I believe most if not all companies require that you acknowledge the legal disclaimer at start up. My Acura has it as well.
Nope, my 2005 E55 doesn't require the driver to distract themself by hitting some stupid button in order to see the map. There is a screen that comes up briefly at startup saying something like "be careful", but it goes away in a couple of seconds. The driver (or passenger for the paranoid types) can also lookup and enter navigation points while the car is in motion.

I've gotten to the point that I've just set the nav display to be off by default. I'm not thrilled about having a $2500 option that is so annoying that I've effectively disabled it, but I couldn't take being trained like a rat to hit a button.
Old 04-29-05, 11:15 AM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quant
The nav screens on the Prius look exactly the same as the GX. Are the connectors also the same? If they are, this device from CoastaleTech.Com might be 100% compatible, and we might not need to wait for them to create/market a Lexus specific device.

Anyone willing to try?
If this would work, it would be perfect (and the Costal eTech guy would be a millionare). It is a simple plug and play and gets rid of "I agree" and allows destination input while moving, all for only $75.00!

Anyone near Indialantic, FL that could go try it?

The NAVIGATION ENHANCEMENT KIT solves both of these issues without the need to cut any wires or perform virtually any disassembly of the car. It is easy to put in and just as easy to take out if you wish. Simply slide the drivers seat back and unplug a couple of connectors from the NAV unit underneath. The kit has the matching plugs to allow it to be inserted right back in the same spot. After plugging it in, the "I AGREE" screen will be automatically removed and any press of the DESTINATION button will allow full function of the touch screen and navigation functions!!!
Attached Thumbnails NAV Welcome Screen-nav-20i-20agree-20and-20destination-20input1.jpg  

Quick Reply: NAV Welcome Screen