GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2004 GX Gets Great Review!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 04:44 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 GX Gets Great Review!

I just recently made a review online about the GX, I thought I would share it with you guys:
(Please excuse the HTML code in it)

After a terrible experience with a Honda Odyssey (what a tin can), I decided it was a mistake to buy a non-Lexus vehicle after 2 previous ones (1994 ES300, 1999 RX300). If you are looking for Lexus comforts in an unstoppable vehicle or just like SUVs, don't waste your time. BUY ONE NOW. I have had nothing but pleasure and fun in my third lexus. Read further for my full review of this amazing vehicle:

<b>EXTERIOR</b>
Taking a look at the GX can stir some different emotions. Some feel iffy about its styling, and some absolutely love it. Either way, it has a well-accented exterior with beautiful workmanship and quality. The greatest flaw this car has is how dirty the back can get. The rear window and door can become absolutely DIRTY. However, give your baby a bath and let that masterfully painted exterior shine like it was right off the showroom floor (providing the showroom waxed and washed their cars and the car wasn't covered in fingerprints). One feature about the exterior (I guess this fits in here) is the automatic windshield wipers. I am not sure whether it is standard or optional, but it is an amazingly cool and helpful system. Not only is it effective in providing one less distraction while driving (which it is effective all of the time as long as the moisture hits the sensor [behind the rearview mirror]), it is a great "hey look at this" feature if you ever have friends in the car . While driving, have the windshield-wiper stalk in the first position down and your auto is engaged. When water contacts the sensor, the wipers are instantly activated (it was scary at first when washing the windows and the wipers came on; I wasn’t expecting that!) This also works with snow. The system is so precise I use the speed of the wipers to determine how hard it is raining sometimes. You will notice that the system is computerized to be more reactive to water when the car is in motion than if you are waiting at a traffic light. One issue that some prospective buyers are afraid of is the door-like rear gate. Unlike conventional liftgates that open up, the GX uses a door-type setup that opens from the right side. The advantages include the ability to open the back when there is a trailer attached and for the not-so-tall people and the wives, closing this type of door is much easier than the conventional type which requires reaching and slamming. This type of rear has not proved whatsoever as a pain in the neck for me and it seems pretty unique. Overall, the exterior is beautiful and I recommend the white if you at all like white because it includes a pearlescent finish which makes the color slightly change depending on how the light is reflected causing a dazzling appearance in sunlight.

<b>INTERIOR</b>
The interior of the GX makes a huge statement. First, you smell the fine smell of Lexus-grade leather. Next, you see the elegant wood trim which provides an "airy" and uber-luxo feel. Thirdly, you sit in the comfortable heated seat which practically hugs you like your momma. Finally, from high atop your SUV perch, you look down on those poor sedan-driving commoners. You can't help but feel better than everyone else on the road (except of course other Lexus drivers) and for good reason. Not only are you in one of the finest vehicles on the planet, you have an army of technology at your command making every microsecond as pleasurable as...(I'll leave that up to your own imaginations). The GX comes basically fully equipped with the most influential option being the Navigation (3rd row wasn't really an option because almost every dealer had all GXs with the 3rd row). <i><b>If you are debating over whether to get the Nav, maybe you shouldn't be looking into luxury vehicles in the first place.</b></i> It was a no-brainer for me; the Navigation just <b>belongs</b> in the car. A GX without navigation is like the Mona Lisa without the woman in the picture. As for the navigation system, not only are you getting the easy guidance system (which by the way talks to you [In English and even French if you speak French or want a good laugh] and receives voice commands), but it is the centerpiece of almost every function in the car. The Navigation screen is used for

-guidance
-back-up camera
-settings of the car
-audio, climate control
-maintenance reminders
-a helpful calendar for marking appointments (when you start up the car your message will appear onscreen as a reminder).

The climate system is great especially for warming up and it is very intuitive. One of the most ignored but helpful part of the car is the backup camera. Providing a color image of what is behind the car from a perspective unattainable from the rear-view mirror, this nifty device allows for confidence backing out of crowded parking lots, driveways, and parking in metropolis(also great for backing up to a trailer hitch). The front seats are very comfortable and all power moving/reclining and heated. The sunglass holder if you have the Nav(the sunglass holder is the location of the microphone ) is basically useless however providing space enough for only clip-ons or very very slim sunglasses. The moonroof is well orchestrated and large. It is both sliding and tilting. Lexus made the moonroof also very intuitive: at higher speeds, the wind-deflector raises higher automatically to adjust as to divert the wind from making a huge riot of noise. With all of the windows closed, at speeds of up to around 45-50 mph, the car is absolutely whisper quiet providing sanctity when the unwelcome noise pollution of Suburbia or "Urbia" becomes too much for you. This silence is great for listening to your favorite CD on the Mark Levinson <b>(ML)</b> system. The ML is pretty impressive providing for an experience that is close to that of my home theater(audiophile paradise). FM is good and AM is marginal as in all cars. Meanwhile, the CD player is amazing and the tape player, if not for your antiquated tapes, is a great interface for more twenty-first century formats such as the iPod which I have an amazing setup( see below the review for a cool tip on setup for an iPod). The backseat is, in my car, one of the best places to be(see "backseat amenities" below). The backseat as for comfort is very fine in my opinion. I think it is a fine seat with good support and great quality leather and cushioning. The armrest folds out of the center to reveal a soft leather armrest with retractable cup-holders which do a fine job holding everything including McDonalds sodas right up to Fiji water (square bottles). The backseat is also provided with an accesory outlet that is just like a house outlet which means there is no need to use a power converter from DC to AC. This is great for laptops and other necessities (iPods). The third row is great for small children (12-) but not a "Lexus experience" for anyone older/bigger. Removing the third row creates a spacious cavern of a trunk capable of fitting massive luggage. Removing the seats is a breeze and if you don't intend on using one of them, they make good seats for junior to watch TV or play Nintendo on

<b>BACKSEAT AMENITIES</b>
My backseat is one of the most desired places to be. To understand what I mean, go to : http://www.yaro1.com/home/gx470.html What you are now looking at is a picture of my very nice headrest monitors. Before I purchased the car, I intended on this setup so I opted to not get the Lexus DVD player. First off, even without the Lexus system or my system, the car has a Rear Seat Audio System (RSAS) which is wonderful. What that provides is a separate audio system for the rear passengers via remote control and a headliner-mounted LCD screen which displays the source (FM, AM, Tape, CD) and receives the IR signal from the remote and broadcasts audio for wireless headphones. Even without the wireless headphones, there are two headphone jacks and separate volume controls on the center console in the backseat right below the rear seat air-conditioning controls(yes, as if my backseat passengers aren’t pampered enough, in hot weather they can activate a fully independent automatic climate control system which uses 4 ceiling-mounted vents to disperse fresh cool air throughout the monstrous cabin to ensure every passenger is content). The advantages of my after-market system are awesome. First, there is no need to "crane" your neck up to look at a small screen. Instead, you look straight forward as you naturally would to a screen perfectly at your head-height. Each outboard passenger has their own monitor capable of watching different sources on each monitor. The left passenger can watch a DVD while the right passenger can play the PS2. The next modification that came as a result of this is configuring the car to play the audio thought the miraculous ML system without sacrificing quality thought FM modulation. The solution is in a Colorado-based company called Vais-tech: http://www.vaistech.com That company offers products that integrate seamlessly into the factory navigation screen and ML system such that I can view whatever is on the rear screens on the Navigation screen while listening to the audio through the ML at full-DVD quality. On top of that, they are offering a system that integrates Sirius (or XM) satellite radio into the package that is completely controlled by the navigation screen such that no extra display device is needed: all channel selection uses the navigation buttons and the Lexus system recognizes it as just another CD player. Using a certain mode also, the navigation will display channel number, artist, track name, and other info right on the same navigation screen. My next modification will be satellite TV, however that will be very expensive. However, as you can see, there are many options for making your Lexus very fine indeed.

<b>SUV CHARACTERISTICS</b>
Since this is an SUV you can expect some serious off-roading capability and surefootedness in rain and snow as well as fording the occasional parking-lot pot-holes. This Lexus employs more technology than I can name so all I can say is that there is no way to get stuck in this vehicle in any terrain unless the driver is very careless or a nincompoop. If nature dropped 4 feet of snow, you would be able to just travel over it like driving on a sunny spring day. Traction is well maintained with a computer and sensors enough to launch a space shuttle. While taking your GX recreationally off-roading would be a walk in the park for your GX, you have to take into consideration how much you like your illuminated running boards because chances are that will be the first thing to get ruined. However, none of us will really experience any such situations, but it is always good to know that whatever happens your Lexus can drive over it. For one quick story, one day in September/October, my family and I went down to an Oceanside restaurant in Sandy Hook (On the Jersey Shore) which is situated literally on the water even next to a yacht club and boat launch. Some storms were off the coast causing an extremely high-tide. Well, in about 1 hour after a relaxing dinner, unbeknownst to everyone inside, the ocean had engulfed the parking lot by about 1 foot. The poor people with sedans were not going to be happy; most of their cars were under water enough that I can imagine that water may have leaked into the interiors of some. However, having the GX, I used plastic bags around my shoes and walked over to my car. I got in, set the adjustable ride height to high (just for good luck/good measure even though I had plenty of water-clearance) and drove over to the door of the restaurant to pick up the rest of my family. I also served as the parking lot jitney service transporting the flooded-car owners to their savaged cars for a little while. As I drove through the parking lot nonchalantly, which was covered in a little over 1 foot by now, it was an eerie but reassuring feeling seeing all these cars that were about to almost float away. As I drove past them my wake was hitting the doors of these cars! It was sure an experience I will never forget.

As a final thought, if you can afford this car and are considering this one against other cars of similar type, make sure you seriously consider the Lexus or even better yet: just go buy one. As you may be able to tell, I love my Lexus!
Old 02-03-05, 11:53 AM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Overall I think you did a pretty good job. Parts of it come off as rather "eliteist" and might **** off some of the commoners, but it fits in great here at a lexus fan site. The "hugs you like your Momma" remark wasn't entirely accurate regarding the seats either. My Momma almost never hugged me and when she did it was more of a stiff, uncomfortable, "clutching" type embrace. Really horrible childhood memories there... Thanks alot man...

Otherwise I agree. The GX rocks.
Old 02-03-05, 04:11 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bareyb
...The "hugs you like your Momma" remark wasn't entirely accurate regarding the seats either. My Momma almost never hugged me and when she did it was more of a stiff, uncomfortable, "clutching" type embrace. Really horrible childhood memories there...
Sorry!
But I just meant to describe how comfortable the seats are.

Peace.